Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India
Reload this Page >

Indian OCI VISA - Indivdual or Family

Indian OCI VISA - Indivdual or Family

Old Nov 10th 2010, 1:18 pm
Just Joined

DeeLondon is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Indian OCI VISA - Indivdual or Family

My parents who are both in their 60's and 70's and retired and living in London want to apply for the OCI VISA.

Is it better for them to apply together on a Family Application or Individually.

They have 2 Children but all Children are over 18 years old. So if they did do a family application they would be the only two people on the form.

My father was born in Goa, India and has the copies of his Birth Certificate, etc.

But my Mother and her Parents were born in Kenya (her grand-parents were born in India) and she has rather less documents to show her Indian Ancestry Link.
What she has is a copy of passports, etc saying her grand parents were British Indians. And an Affidavit stating she is on Indian origin.

Will it help if they do a family application or should they be doing individual applications

and what happens if one person is rejected and the other accepted?
Old Nov 10th 2010, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Remy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to all
Default Re: Indian OCI VISA - Indivdual or Family

Originally Posted by DeeLondon
My parents who are both in their 60's and 70's and retired and living in London want to apply for the OCI VISA.

Is it better for them to apply together on a Family Application or Individually.

They have 2 Children but all Children are over 18 years old. So if they did do a family application they would be the only two people on the form.

My father was born in Goa, India and has the copies of his Birth Certificate, etc.

But my Mother and her Parents were born in Kenya (her grand-parents were born in India) and she has rather less documents to show her Indian Ancestry Link.
What she has is a copy of passports, etc saying her grand parents were British Indians. And an Affidavit stating she is on Indian origin.

Will it help if they do a family application or should they be doing individual applications

OCI might prove difficult for your mother (knowing what the embassy is like) but she can still get a PIO Card as she is the spouse of an Indian.

I would chance a family application, nothing to loose but the easy way out would be for your Dad to get OCI and your Mum a PIO Card which will last her 15 years. She may get an OCI handy enough but 'will she or won't she' comes down to the Embassy at the end of the day......

and when dealing with India there are No Absolutes!!!!

Kind Regards,
Remy
Old Nov 10th 2010, 1:52 pm
Just Joined

Yes that is my thinking also - my father should get the OCI no matter what - I can only think that applying with my Father in the same application form can only help my mother's application and in crease her chances of it being grant.

BTW do they require the original Affidavits forms?

Someone said they want the originals + a copy - the original being the kind with a wax seal on it.
Old Nov 10th 2010, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Remy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to all

Yes that is my thinking also - my father should get the OCI no matter what - I can only think that applying with my Father in the same application form can only help my mother's application and in crease her chances of it being grant.

Someone said they want the originals + a copy - the original being the kind with a wax seal on it.
Flip no way would i send originals......send only photocopies, thats all i did for a PIO Card. Chances of getting original documents back aren't much greater than zero!!!
Old Nov 10th 2010, 3:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with Remy; don't send originals. My husband got an affidavit last month (he doesn't have copy of original Indian passport) the affidavit no longer has a wax seal just the court stamp. A colour copy looks exactly as the original. We don't need to use ours until next August when I attempt to renew (spouse visa, I was refused a 5 year because of new rules), his 5 year visa he renewed earlier, so hope there are no problems. Let us know how you get on.
The website OCI-www.indian_visa.co.uk is quite useful and has an email address for enquiries.
Old Nov 10th 2010, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

RAZZMATAZZ is an unknown quantity at this point

OCI will take around 3-4 months,as the papers are sent to India,but costs less than PIO.They only require copies.Once your father has theOCI,make a photocopy of the booklet and page in the British passport containing the 'stamp'.Take photocopies of all the relevant documents for PIO for your mother along with the originals for verification (you'll get them straight back) to HCI London personally (if possible).It's probably the easiest and surest way to go.My wife ,who has no Indian ancestry whatsoever picked up the PIO in 2 weeks.Don't forget to fill in the part asking for the names of two people 'known' to you currently residing in India,they would not take the application form without this information.Good luck.
Old Nov 10th 2010, 6:18 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Indian OCI VISA - Indivdual or Family

The forms we have don't say TWO people living in India it just says details of any family members living in India - we only really have one which is my father's cousin. And we've put that one relative.

Also what about the section that says

Have you / any member of your family applied for OCI registration earlier?

My father's Brother applied for the OCI and was granted it 2 months ago in London, should we put his details and say he was successful or does this mean just the members of the family on the form?

I'd also like to apply for the OCI soon and wondering also if I should put my uncle was granted it and give his details or not?
Old Nov 11th 2010, 4:11 am
Forum Regular

RAZZMATAZZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Only put the actual applicants on the OCI form. As stated on the HCI website,OCI is granted through direct ancestral ties to India,parents,grandparents,and of course yourself if you were born in India,so I don't believe your uncles status is of any relevance to your application.
With regard to the PIO form,I think you will find that they insist on 2 relatives or friends in India.When my wife only put 1 initially we were told that the application would probably be held 'pending',for an undetermined length of time,and then probably be sent back to you.
Old Nov 11th 2010, 8:16 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Dee

Just noticed that you're a new member so thought I would say welcome to BE.
You have definitely come to the right place for advice on all things India/Goa and those who are answering are pretty knowledgable about such issues. Hopefully we will see you join in some of the other threads too.

Dread - x