India and the Wars

Old Feb 8th 2019, 8:02 pm
  #256  
EMR
Banned
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 26,724
EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: India and the Wars

Originally Posted by Bipat
1) I asked what you meant by "general area"-------I was interested, why couldn't you answer?
Do you need "figures" to know that the people of the Mumbai slums are "poor"??
Relatives knew the surrounding areas of Goa, they travelled widely ----and certainly in the 50s -----I was there in the late 60s. Morpeth the quickest way obviously to get to our home from Mumbai is VIA GOA. It is part of 'home'!!!

Over the years I have read a considerable amount regarding Goa ------I am just not willing to take time to give numerous references to you on a discussion Forum February 2019!!

2) "Forcible occupation"------how do you describe the occupation by Portugal------were they invited in?
As I have repeatedly said the Portuguese could have left peaceably.

3) You only praise colonialism and are unwilling to recognise the misery caused to many. I have repeatedly said that the Raj was not ALL bad.

4) Portugal is a European State, Goa is part of the Indian Subcontinent, the Goan people were NOT Portuguese.
By your logic before 1947 Indian people were British and should have had full legal equality with other British people.

5) So you are saying the opinions of Goan people were irrelevant. If you read the results of the referendum it gives a foreigner such as yourself an indication of the situation.

6) The right to hold a Portuguese passport could be passed down to offspring if they were registered at birth. This is an anomaly in India where dual nationality is not allowed. (I would point out that India allowed Portuguese property and family law to continue until quite recently, to avoid difficulties.)

(A personal anecdote-----the head waiter at a restaurant we go to in Palolem---constantly berates the fact that his father registered his brother but not himself for a Portuguese passport; he wants to come to the UK. We try to explain that he is actually doing a lot better where he is.)
If life is so much better why does the U K have rules and regulations to restrict the numbers of immigrants who want to move to the UK from India.
Surely the flow should be the other way.
Your logic circuit definitely needs adjusting..
90% of India has been forcibly occupied, the Moguls, just one in a long line of invaders, and the Portuguese arrived around the same time.
" Terrible occupation," do you include all invaders and occupiers in 2000 years of history in your description .
Again your grasp of facts and logic is obvious.,.

Last edited by EMR; Feb 8th 2019 at 8:05 pm.
EMR is offline  
Old Feb 8th 2019, 8:15 pm
  #257  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 20,784
Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: India and the Wars

Originally Posted by EMR
1) That you will not spend your time researching factual recorded evidence confirms as it has done time after time that you are not interested in facts just your narrow minded blinkered views on just about everything you post on..
Why would Goans with EU pasprts not want yo go to a country offering them the possibility of a better ,I've, they are a tiny fraction of those from India who did the same..
The Goans are no different from the Poles, the Spanish.and all the others EU citizens who moved under FOM.
So in future the UK can legally exclude them and you will be happy with that.

2) FACT Goa was never part of India , that entity did not come into existence until 1947.
I will agree with you that geographically it us part of The Indian sub continent,
India and The iIndian sub continent are not the same thing.
I assume you agree that Gibraltar should be returned to Spain, for no other reason that it is geographically part of the Iberian peninsula..
1) Read my above post ------I have spent decades reading and studying about about Goa. We LIVE THERE--
This is an on-line Discussion Forum I am replying to 'Posts' not writing an essay! I am not willing to spend time putting countless references here!

2) The Goans were Konkani/Marathi speaking, ethnic Indians the same as the people in surrounding areas. The same as My OH. They were not Portuguese!!

(Gibraltar has been 'settled' by British people----Goa was just 'made use of' by a far distant country.
By your logic the British should still be ruling India.)

Bipat is offline  
Old Feb 8th 2019, 8:20 pm
  #258  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 20,784
Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: India and the Wars

Originally Posted by EMR
If life is so much better why does the U K have rules and regulations to restrict the numbers of immigrants who want to move to the UK from India.
Surely the flow should be the other way.
Your logic circuit definitely needs adjusting..
90% of India has been forcibly occupied, the Moguls, just one in a long line of invaders, and the Portuguese arrived around the same time.
" Terrible occupation," do you include all invaders and occupiers in 2000 years of history in your description .
Again your grasp of facts and logic is obvious.,.
I said HIS LIFE is better. ( It was a personal anecdote, replying to Morpeth)

Regarding occupation we are discussing the 20th century.
Bipat is offline  
Old Feb 8th 2019, 8:28 pm
  #259  
EMR
Banned
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 26,724
EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: India and the Wars

Originally Posted by Bipat
I said HIS LIFE is better. ( It was a personal anecdote, replying to Morpeth)

Regarding occupation we are discussing the 20th century.
When have you ever stuck to the 20th Century, you would not keep referring to what existed before 1947 as India., yoy justify the invadion of Goa because of events that took place in the 16th century.
You would not go on about what you regard as centuries of occupation and colonial rule ignoring the realiry of thr history of the subcontinent.
Why do yiu ignore the numbers who have migrated to the UK , numbers that woukd be vastly higher but for UK controls if life was so good fir them in Indua.

Time you rebooted Bipat .
EMR is offline  
Old Feb 8th 2019, 8:48 pm
  #260  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 20,784
Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: India and the Wars

Originally Posted by EMR
1)When have you ever stuck to the 20th Century, you would not keep referring to what existed before 1947 as India.,

2) yoy justify the invadion of Goa because of events that took place in the 16th century.
You would not go on about what you regard as centuries of occupation and colonial rule ignoring the realiry of thr history of the subcontinent.

3)Why do yiu ignore the numbers who have migrated to the UK , numbers that woukd be vastly higher but for UK controls if life was so good fir them in Indua.

Time you rebooted Bipat .
You are mixing things up as Usual EMR!

1) OH was Indian in 1947 ----what was he in 1946? Do tell us.

2) I justified the actions of the Indian Government in 1961----after negotiations had failed for the 'Portuguese' to leave. To allow the indigenous people to rule themselves.

3) As always EMR----I ask if you read posts!!
I was referring to ONE INDIVIDUAL. His life was far better than what he would get in the UK. It was really about sibling rivalry existing until middle age!
Bipat is offline  
Old Feb 8th 2019, 10:51 pm
  #261  
EMR
Banned
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 26,724
EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: India and the Wars

Originally Posted by Bipat
You are mixing things up as Usual EMR!

1) OH was Indian in 1947 ----what was he in 1946? Do tell us.

2) I justified the actions of the Indian Government in 1961----after negotiations had failed for the 'Portuguese' to leave. To allow the indigenous people to rule themselves.

3) As always EMR----I ask if you read posts!!
I was referring to ONE INDIVIDUAL. His life was far better than what he would get in the UK. It was really about sibling rivalry existing until middle age!
In 1946 he was a citizen of the British Empire in a vastly bigger and different country , with a Viceroy etc to the much smaller Independent Republic of India which he became a cituzen of in 1947.
Try doing some research.

You excused Invasion, justified nothing.

If those are those views regarding one individual, then are they the same views you would say to the tens of thousands who migrate to the UK every year and the thousand more who apply and fail.
YES or No.?

Last edited by EMR; Feb 8th 2019 at 10:55 pm.
EMR is offline  
Old Feb 8th 2019, 11:25 pm
  #262  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 20,784
Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: India and the Wars

Originally Posted by EMR
1) In 1946 he was a citizen of the British Empire in a vastly bigger and different country , with a Viceroy etc to the much smaller Independent Republic of India which he became a cituzen of in 1947.
Try doing some research.

2) You excused Invasion, justified nothing.

3) If those are those views regarding one individual, then are they the same views you would say to the tens of thousands who migrate to the UK every year and the thousand more who apply and fail.
YES or No.?
1) Don't tell ME to do research EMR!!!!
OH knows exactly the regime in which he was born. So during the Raj children born there were 'British' were they? With absolute equality with all the other 'British' there and in the UK.
So you are saying he wasn't 'an' Indian. I will inform him. (Perhaps not, he might choke on his coffee!)

2) I did not excuse the invasion and continued occupation of the area now Goa State by the Portuguese.

3) Don't be ridiculous. People are individuals EMR even those of the State you apparently thinks is actually 'European'

No they are not the same views as any other person. Not even the same views as his brother who has never wanted to make use of his ability to get a Portuguese passport.
Bipat is offline  
Old Feb 8th 2019, 11:42 pm
  #263  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 10,119
morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: India and the Wars

Originally Posted by Bipat
1) I asked what you meant by "general area"-------I was interested, why couldn't you answer?
Do you need "figures" to know that the people of the Mumbai slums are "poor"??
Relatives knew the surrounding areas of Goa, they travelled widely ----and certainly in the 50s -----I was there in the late 60s. Morpeth the quickest way obviously to get to our home from Mumbai is VIA GOA. It is part of 'home'!!!

Over the years I have read a considerable amount regarding Goa ------I am just not willing to take time to give numerous references to you on a discussion Forum February 2019!!

2) "Forcible occupation"------how do you describe the occupation by Portugal------were they invited in?
As I have repeatedly said the Portuguese could have left peaceably.

3) You only praise colonialism and are unwilling to recognise the misery caused to many. I have repeatedly said that the Raj was not ALL bad.

4) Portugal is a European State, Goa is part of the Indian Subcontinent, the Goan people were NOT Portuguese.
By your logic before 1947 Indian people were British and should have had full legal equality with other British people.

5) So you areBipat, you may wish to re-read your post as it indicates why there is a question as to whether English is your native language, or what you learned in philosophy classes. You keep avoiding the issues, or make-up what other people have written. It is fascinating to read but weird.



1) I asked what you meant by "general area"-------I was interested, why couldn't you answer?



All I asked was in the general area of Goa was their appreciable difference in the poverty level between the Indian area and Portuguese Goa.Ok so area content to Goa. But since you have no evidence or the slightest intention of seeking any evidence the whole question is now moot.


Do you need "figures" to know that the people of the Mumbai slums are "poor"??



Note the point. I simply asked, ow at least 5 times, was Goa more poor in the 1950’s than the surrounding Indian areas. You either (a) don’t know (b) fear answering because it undercuts your anti-colonial viewpoints.


Relatives knew the surrounding areas of Goa, they travelled widely ----and certainly in the 50s -----I was there in the late 60s. Morpeth the quickest way obviously to get to our home from Mumbai is VIA GOA. It is part of 'home'!!!

Over the years I have read a considerable amount regarding Goa



Strange then when questioned you haven’t any supporting evidence or data.

2) "Forcible occupation"------how do you describe the occupation by Portugal------were they invited in?



This is silly- saying India forcibly occupied Goa hasn’t the slightest meaning that Portugal didn’t forcibly occupy Goa. Where on earth do you arrive at such a question? (Unless I am mistaken which you can correct me, were the Portuguese not invited in to help a local ruler fight another?


As I have repeatedly said the Portuguese could have left peaceably.



Why on earth should Portugal leave a territory considered part of Portugal?



Perhaps an example- there is a part of Romania that has been populated by Hungarians for centuries.If Hungary invaded today it might be justified by your logic- that wouldn’t change whether it was a forcible invasion.

3) You only praise colonialism and are unwilling to recognize the misery caused to many. I have repeatedly said that the Raj was not ALL bad.

















Post after post will show this is not true but part of the ‘straw man’ you wish to construct when you are unable to use logic or consider evidence. No one has ever written that British rule was all good. I am sure when you visit a modern hospital in India you recognize what India would be like without British and Western medicine and technology, or the benefits of India having universities based on British and European models.



I do not disagree a complex subject balancing the benefits and disadvantages, but since you have such a one-sided subjective anti-British view and don’t consider evidence, it is hard to see how you have such a one-sided view.


4) Portugal is a European State, Goa is part of the Indian Subcontinent, and the Goan people were NOT Portuguese.
By your logic before 1947 Indian people were British and should have had full legal equality with other British people.




Again we are talking about facts- Goans were Portuguese by natonality and political structure, no one has written they were all or even a majority by culture. Of course they shared much culture with surrounding areas.



I wonder if southern Indians prior to 1947 felt a deep attachment to the Mughal Empire.

5) So you are saying the opinions of Goan people were irrelevant. If you read the results of the referendum it gives a foreigner such as yourself an indication of the situation.



Absurd comment as I never indicated the opinions of eh Goon people were irrelevant.



The referendum my understanding didn’t concern Indian occupation or independence, so what relevance does it have to the discussion?

6) The right to hold a Portuguese passport could be passed down to offspring if they were registered at birth. This is an anomaly in India where dual nationality is not allowed. (I would point out that India allowed Portuguese property and family law to continue until quite recently, to avoid difficulties.)



Thanks for pointing out.

(A personal anecdote-----the head waiter at a restaurant we go to in Palolo---constantly berates the fact that his father registered his brother but not himself for a Portuguese passport; he wants to come to the UK. We try to explain that he is actually doing a lot better where he is.)



Interesting so a waiter can have a higher standard of living or quality of life in India than in the UK? (I am not doubting this just asking. I must be missing something).

saying the opinions of Goan people were irrelevant. If you read the results of the referendum it gives a foreigner such as yourself an indication of the situation.

6) The right to hold a Portuguese passport could be passed down to offspring if they were registered at birth. This is an anomaly in India where dual nationality is not allowed. (I would point out that India allowed Portuguese property and family law to continue until quite recently, to avoid difficulties.)

(A personal anecdote-----the head waiter at a restaurant we go to in Palolem---constantly berates the fact that his father registered his brother but not himself for a Portuguese passport; he wants to come to the UK. We try to explain that he is actually doing a lot better where he is.)
Bipat, you may wish to re-read your post as it indicates why there is a question as to whether English is your native language, or what you learned in philosophy classes. You keep avoiding the issues, or make-up what other people have written. It is fascinating to read but weird.



1) I asked what you meant by "general area"-------I was interested, why couldn't you answer?



All I asked was in the general area of Goa was their appreciable difference in the poverty level between the Indian area and Portuguese Goa.Ok so area content to Goa. But since you have no evidence or the slightest intention of seeking any evidence the whole question is now moot.


Do you need "figures" to know that the people of the Mumbai slums are "poor"??



Note the point. I simply asked, ow at least 5 times, was Goa more poor in the 1950’s than the surrounding Indian areas. You either (a) don’t know (b) fear answering because it undercuts your anti-colonial viewpoints.


Relatives knew the surrounding areas of Goa, they travelled widely ----and certainly in the 50s -----I was there in the late 60s. Morpeth the quickest way obviously to get to our home from Mumbai is VIA GOA. It is part of 'home'!!!

Over the years I have read a considerable amount regarding Goa



Strange then when questioned you haven’t any supporting evidence or data.

2) "Forcible occupation"------how do you describe the occupation by Portugal------were they invited in?



This is silly- saying India forcibly occupied Goa hasn’t the slightest meaning that Portugal didn’t forcibly occupy Goa. Where on earth do you arrive at such a question? (Unless I am mistaken which you can correct me, were the Portuguese not invited in to help a local ruler fight another?


As I have repeatedly said the Portuguese could have left peaceably.



Why on earth should Portugal leave a territory considered part of Portugal?



Perhaps an example- there is a part of Romania that has been populated by Hungarians for centuries.If Hungary invaded today it might be justified by your logic- that wouldn’t change whether it was a forcible invasion.

3) You only praise colonialism and are unwilling to recognize the misery caused to many. I have repeatedly said that the Raj was not ALL bad.

















Post after post will show this is not true but part of the ‘straw man’ you wish to construct when you are unable to use logic or consider evidence. No one has ever written that British rule was all good. I am sure when you visit a modern hospital in India you recognize what India would be like without British and Western medicine and technology, or the benefits of India having universities based on British and European models.



I do not disagree a complex subject balancing the benefits and disadvantages, but since you have such a one-sided subjective anti-British view and don’t consider evidence, it is hard to see how you have such a one-sided view.


4) Portugal is a European State, Goa is part of the Indian Subcontinent, and the Goan people were NOT Portuguese.
By your logic before 1947 Indian people were British and should have had full legal equality with other British people.




Again we are talking about facts- Goans were Portuguese by natonality and political structure, no one has written they were all or even a majority by culture. Of course they shared much culture with surrounding areas.



I wonder if southern Indians prior to 1947 felt a deep attachment to the Mughal Empire.

5) So you are saying the opinions of Goan people were irrelevant. If you read the results of the referendum it gives a foreigner such as yourself an indication of the situation.



Absurd comment as I never indicated the opinions of eh Goon people were irrelevant.



The referendum my understanding didn’t concern Indian occupation or independence, so what relevance does it have to the discussion?

6) The right to hold a Portuguese passport could be passed down to offspring if they were registered at birth. This is an anomaly in India where dual nationality is not allowed. (I would point out that India allowed Portuguese property and family law to continue until quite recently, to avoid difficulties.)



Thanks for pointing out.

(A personal anecdote-----the head waiter at a restaurant we go to in Palolo---constantly berates the fact that his father registered his brother but not himself for a Portuguese passport; he wants to come to the UK. We try to explain that he is actually doing a lot better where he is.)



Interesting so a waiter can have a higher standard of living or quality of life in India than in the UK? (I am not doubting this just asking. I must be missing something).

morpeth is offline  
Old Feb 8th 2019, 11:47 pm
  #264  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 10,119
morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: India and the Wars

Originally Posted by Bipat
1) Don't tell ME to do research EMR!!!!
OH knows exactly the regime in which he was born. So during the Raj children born there were 'British' were they? With absolute equality with all the other 'British' there and in the UK.
So you are saying he wasn't 'an' Indian. I will inform him. (Perhaps not, he might choke on his coffee!)

2) I did not excuse the invasion and continued occupation of the area now Goa State by the Portuguese.

3) Don't be ridiculous. People are individuals EMR even those of the State you apparently thinks is actually 'European'

No they are not the same views as any other person. Not even the same views as his brother who has never wanted to make use of his ability to get a Portuguese passport.
Previously you argued there was no overall Indian culture What made OH an Indian in 1946 compared to 1947?.​​​​​​
morpeth is offline  
Old Feb 8th 2019, 11:49 pm
  #265  
EMR
Banned
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 26,724
EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: India and the Wars

Originally Posted by Bipat
1) Don't tell ME to do research EMR!!!!
OH knows exactly the regime in which he was born. So during the Raj children born there were 'British' were they? With absolute equality with all the other 'British' there and in the UK.
So you are saying he wasn't 'an' Indian. I will inform him. (Perhaps not, he might choke on his coffee!)

2) I did not excuse the invasion and continued occupation of the area now Goa State by the Portuguese.

3) Don't be ridiculous. People are individuals EMR even those of the State you apparently thinks is actually 'European'

No they are not the same views as any other person. Not even the same views as his brother who has never wanted to make use of his ability to get a Portuguese passport.
If your OH had a passport in 1946 would it have been stamped Republic of India, yes or no.
We have to ask you very simple questions because anything that require you to do research seems to cause you problems.

You have done nothing else in 100s of post but excuse the invasion of the sovereign territory of another country.

I asked you to confirm whether or not you think all those in their thousands who emigrate to the UK would be better of staying in India as you posted regarding the waiter in Goa.
YES or No.
EMR is offline  
Old Feb 9th 2019, 12:07 am
  #266  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 20,784
Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: India and the Wars

Originally Posted by morpeth
Bipat, you may wish to re-read your post as it indicates why there is a question as to whether English is your native language, or what you learned in philosophy classes. You keep avoiding the issues, or make-up what other people have written. It is fascinating to read but weird.



1) I asked what you meant by "general area"-------I was interested, why couldn't you answer?



1) All I asked was in the general area of Goa was their appreciable difference in the poverty level between the Indian area and Portuguese Goa.Ok so area content to Goa. But since you have no evidence or the slightest intention of seeking any evidence the whole question is now moot.


Do you need "figures" to know that the people of the Mumbai slums are "poor"??



Note the point. I simply asked, ow at least 5 times, was Goa more poor in the 1950’s than the surrounding Indian areas. You either (a) don’t know (b) fear answering because it undercuts your anti-colonial viewpoints.


Relatives knew the surrounding areas of Goa, they travelled widely ----and certainly in the 50s -----I was there in the late 60s. Morpeth the quickest way obviously to get to our home from Mumbai is VIA GOA. It is part of 'home'!!!

Over the years I have read a considerable amount regarding Goa



Strange then when questioned you haven’t any supporting evidence or data.

2) "Forcible occupation"------how do you describe the occupation by Portugal------were they invited in?



This is silly- saying India forcibly occupied Goa hasn’t the slightest meaning that Portugal didn’t forcibly occupy Goa. Where on earth do you arrive at such a question? (Unless I am mistaken which you can correct me, were the Portuguese not invited in to help a local ruler fight another?


As I have repeatedly said the Portuguese could have left peaceably.



Why on earth should Portugal leave a territory considered part of Portugal?



Perhaps an example- there is a part of Romania that has been populated by Hungarians for centuries.If Hungary invaded today it might be justified by your logic- that wouldn’t change whether it was a forcible invasion.

3) You only praise colonialism and are unwilling to recognize the misery caused to many. I have repeatedly said that the Raj was not ALL bad.

















Post after post will show this is not true but part of the ‘straw man’ you wish to construct when you are unable to use logic or consider evidence. No one has ever written that British rule was all good. I am sure when you visit a modern hospital in India you recognize what India would be like without British and Western medicine and technology, or the benefits of India having universities based on British and European models.



I do not disagree a complex subject balancing the benefits and disadvantages, but since you have such a one-sided subjective anti-British view and don’t consider evidence, it is hard to see how you have such a one-sided view.


4) Portugal is a European State, Goa is part of the Indian Subcontinent, and the Goan people were NOT Portuguese.
By your logic before 1947 Indian people were British and should have had full legal equality with other British people.




Again we are talking about facts- Goans were Portuguese by natonality and political structure, no one has written they were all or even a majority by culture. Of course they shared much culture with surrounding areas.



I wonder if southern Indians prior to 1947 felt a deep attachment to the Mughal Empire.

5) So you are saying the opinions of Goan people were irrelevant. If you read the results of the referendum it gives a foreigner such as yourself an indication of the situation.



Absurd comment as I never indicated the opinions of eh Goon people were irrelevant.



The referendum my understanding didn’t concern Indian occupation or independence, so what relevance does it have to the discussion?

6) The right to hold a Portuguese passport could be passed down to offspring if they were registered at birth. This is an anomaly in India where dual nationality is not allowed. (I would point out that India allowed Portuguese property and family law to continue until quite recently, to avoid difficulties.)



Thanks for pointing out.

(A personal anecdote-----the head waiter at a restaurant we go to in Palolo---constantly berates the fact that his father registered his brother but not himself for a Portuguese passport; he wants to come to the UK. We try to explain that he is actually doing a lot better where he is.)



Interesting so a waiter can have a higher standard of living or quality of life in India than in the UK? (I am not doubting this just asking. I must be missing something).

1) You mentioned you had spoken to someone from the "general area"-------I asked WHERE the person came from. I was interested!!!!
Look at a map ---the "general area" is vast.

I pointed out that the evidence of travelling through the area by others and my evidence of travelling through in the 1960s.
As I said to EMR, I am not writing an essay I am replying in on-line discussion Forum.

I am not spending hours giving you references to all the books I have read over the last decades!!!

(If you want to be rude about my ability to speak my own language ----I can point out that bizarre typing in your post yesterday evening ----I concluded you were drunk.)

2) Goa is not part of Europe, not part of Portugal-----the important point it was not populated by Portuguese ---It was populated by Konkani/Marathi speaking indigenous people of the Indian sub-continent.

3) No I don't think that when I speak to people who run/work in Indian hospitals/clinics

6) You are missing knowledge!!




Bipat is offline  
Old Feb 9th 2019, 12:09 am
  #267  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 20,784
Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: India and the Wars

Originally Posted by morpeth
Previously you argued there was no overall Indian culture What made OH an Indian in 1946 compared to 1947?.​​​​​​
Does any nationality have an 'overall culture'. If he wasn't Indian what was he? He was/is the same since birth.
Bipat is offline  
Old Feb 9th 2019, 12:19 am
  #268  
EMR
Banned
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 26,724
EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: India and the Wars

Originally Posted by Bipat
Does any nationality have an 'overall culture'. If he wasn't Indian what was he? He was/is the same since birth.
So what were those living in British India in 1946 who in 1947 overnight became Pakistanis .
Indian one day your definition , Pakistani the next....


.

EMR is offline  
Old Feb 9th 2019, 12:19 am
  #269  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 20,784
Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: India and the Wars

Originally Posted by EMR
If your OH had a passport in 1946 would it have been stamped Republic of India, yes or no.
We have to ask you very simple questions because anything that require you to do research seems to cause you problems.

You have done nothing else in 100s of post but excuse the invasion of the sovereign territory of another country.

I asked you to confirm whether or not you think all those in their thousands who emigrate to the UK would be better of staying in India as you posted regarding the waiter in Goa.
YES or No.

EMR I think it is you who has argued about dual nationality etc. and loyalty----why is it different for Indians? They didn't choose to be part of the Raj!

You have done nothing but excuse the foreign occupation of another country.

Many migrants return to India. "ALL"---- are not the same , individuals are different.
Obviously most who stay are better off than when they came just as are most of the British expats on this Forum.

(The 'waiter' in my example, is in fact a head waiter in a large up-market restaurant , he has a much better life where he is than he would have if he started again in the UK)

Bipat is offline  
Old Feb 9th 2019, 12:21 am
  #270  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 20,784
Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: India and the Wars

Originally Posted by EMR
So what were those living in British India in 1946 who in 1947 overnight became Pakistanis .
Indian one day your definition , Pakistani the next....


.
No they were Indian both days. What do you suggest they were??
Bipat is offline  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.