India and the Wars

Old Feb 5th 2019, 7:38 pm
  #136  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 10,095
morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: India and the Wars

Originally Posted by Bipat
So you dispute the evidence of the link I put regarding the Madras famine and similar reports. Have you actually looked at other graphic pictures? Why do you think millions died?
Can you give evidence of the number of hospital beds, medical aid for the 'millions'. The reasons why they had no stockpiles of food. How they managed without milk when cattle died.

Who was ruling Morpeth??

Do you ever! accept that for many such poor Indians the British didn't do a lot.

Yes the weather changes every year and there are still deaths (suicides) when farmers lose crops, or a bad monsoon----but as I pointed out there are food benefits, gas subsidies, government hospitals etc.etc.
(EMR dismisses the effects of monsoon differences-----has he experienced one??)

OH was about 12 years old at the time of the Bengal famine the newspaper pictures still 'seared' into the mind----for those in the south there was nothing they could do.

(The later newspaper cartoons of Nehru knocking on the Viceroys house door after dark were also there, (Edwina)------ giving something to laugh at!!!) but all this is nonsensical 'folk memory'! as you know.
Bipat, you seem a bit mixed up. No one has denied the toll of the famines. First that in no way negates the benefits of British rule, because there was a famine doesnt mean the British didnt build a university system for example or legal system. Second, I doubt you have studied objectively the situation which seems to be debatable.

And it doesnt matter what the British motivation was but what the effect was.

As far as the poor please do tell me what was the GDP growth per capital over the term of British rule, what was the distribution of income, were countries in Asia besides Japan without colonial rule appreciably better off, did India show the slightest indication in the latter stages of Mughal rule it could independently entered the modern age. Those are valid questions, maybe debatable, but certainly the poverty in India had a variety of sources tat need to be considered before trying to blame it all on the British. Like the nonsense comments about taxation flowing significant sums outside of the country.
morpeth is online now  
Old Feb 5th 2019, 7:47 pm
  #137  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 20,755
Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: India and the Wars

Originally Posted by EMR
You are still doing Bipat.
Your personal experiences , the life you have are not part of this discussion.
You need to look at the bigger picture..
India has made huge progress making fresh water available to more and more of the population.
I pointed out that the drought is having a negative effect on that, you ramble of into a discussion about well water, drying clothes in monsoons ad nasesum..
I pointed out that the government is providing an aid program for farmers badly hit by the drought.
You claim the lack of famines in the second half of the 20th century is down to Indian rule, ignoring all the scientific advances, agricultural advances, the billions of dollars in food aid, food aid from the US, Canada even Russia and others which help feed the Indian population.,prevent famine.
Your ignorance of these facts is why I suggest you live in an alternative universe..
EMR ----you read books --- and repeat it all to us-----I try to show you/point out realities obvious to those who live in India.
YOU mentioned having to drink well water (I pointed out that this is not a problem).

EMR-----I know about floods, I know about droughts, I know about aid to farmers.
Iknow about the scientific advances, agricultural advances etc

What YOU DO NOT KNOW is the DIFFERENCE between the majority small farmers and the large concerns that provide locally and export and have taken advantage of all the advances.

The fact that millions are not dying in 'famines' yes is partly due to advances, and help from other countries.-----It is happening because Indian governments accepted and promoted all this and 'cared' can't you see that?

During British rule in famines ----nothing was done---the poor just died ----as Churchill, I believe described the poor as 'vermin'. As I said before, it also happened in the Princely States, the situation was too large to cope with both for them and the British. To ignore it as you want to do is to have the same attitude.

As OP stated above ---much was good about the Empire but to ignore the dark and evil is wrong.
You and Morpeth constantly excuse/ praise the occupation of India by the British/Portuguese, can you not understand that this is at least somewhat irritating to those who know the reality of being there.






Bipat is online now  
Old Feb 5th 2019, 8:04 pm
  #138  
EMR
Banned
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 26,724
EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: India and the Wars

Originally Posted by Bipat
EMR ----you read books --- and repeat it all to us-----I try to show you/point out realities obvious to those who live in India.
YOU mentioned having to drink well water (I pointed out that this is not a problem).

EMR-----I know about floods, I know about droughts, I know about aid to farmers.
Iknow about the scientific advances, agricultural advances etc

What YOU DO NOT KNOW is the DIFFERENCE between the majority small farmers and the large concerns that provide locally and export and have taken advantage of all the advances.

The fact that millions are not dying in 'famines' yes is partly due to advances, and help from other countries.-----It is happening because Indian governments accepted and promoted all this and 'cared' can't you see that?

During British rule in famines ----nothing was done---the poor just died ----as Churchill, I believe described the poor as 'vermin'. As I said before, it also happened in the Princely States, the situation was too large to cope with both for them and the British. To ignore it as you want to do is to have the same attitude.

As OP stated above ---much was good about the Empire but to ignore the dark and evil is wrong.
You and Morpeth constantly excuse/ praise the occupation of India by the British/Portuguese, can you not understand that this is at least somewhat irritating to those who know the reality of being there.
You are doing it again.
Ignoring facts.
The British did ship food from Burma to alleviate those affected during the famines.
The British also exported food, enriching the Indian producers , traders, dealers all those involved in the production and trade.
What was the rail and road network in the 1870s, compared to the mid 20th
The mid 19th century was still the age of sail ,not fast vessels carrying tens thousands of tonnes of wheat in aid from the US etc , not available in the 19th century.
Bitish direct rule did not apply in the Princely states , what did they do to alleviate famines. In their kingdoms.
You excuse Indian rulers, some of the richest in the world but condemn the British governance of India.. where is your balance.
You underplay or ignore the huge scientific advances in the second half 20th century, that benefitted India , the billions in food aid simply because it does not suit your anti British all things Indian are better viewpoint...
Balance is missing from most of your posts,..










..

EMR is offline  
Old Feb 5th 2019, 8:17 pm
  #139  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 20,755
Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: India and the Wars

[QUOTE=EMR;12633152]You are doing it again.
Ignoring facts.
The British did ship food from Burma to alleviate those affected during the famines.
The British also exported food, enriching the Indian producers , traders, dealers all those involved in the production and trade.
What was the rail and road network in the 1870s, compared to the mid 20th
The mid 19th century was still the age of sail ,not fast vessels carrying tens thousands of tonnes of wheat in aid from the US etc , not available in the 19th century.
Bitish direct rule did not apply in the Princely states , what did they do to alleviate famines. In their kingdoms.
You excuse Indian rulers, some of the richest in the world but condemn the British governance of India.. where is your balance.
You underplay or ignore the huge scientific advances in the second half 20th century, that benefitted India , the billions in food aid simply because it does not suit your anti British all things Indian are better viewpoint...
Balance is missing from most of your posts,..
[Quote]


EMR ---the FACT is as you keeping referring to, is that multi- millions died in famines during British rule-----I pointed out to you that they also died in some Princely States.

I have not "ignored" scientific advance ---I said above that the Indian Governments have cared to use them---that is the difference!

Did you actually 'read' the post you are replying to----I said "much was good about the Empire"----as I also said to ignore the dark and evil as you and Morpeth do is absolutely wrong.


















Bipat is online now  
Old Feb 5th 2019, 11:13 pm
  #140  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 10,095
morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: India and the Wars

Originally Posted by Bipat
EMR ----you read books --- and repeat it all to us-----I try to show you/point out realities obvious to those who live in India.
YOU mentioned having to drink well water (I pointed out that this is not a problem).

EMR-----I know about floods, I know about droughts, I know about aid to farmers.
Iknow about the scientific advances, agricultural advances etc

What YOU DO NOT KNOW is the DIFFERENCE between the majority small farmers and the large concerns that provide locally and export and have taken advantage of all the advances.

The fact that millions are not dying in 'famines' yes is partly due to advances, and help from other countries.-----It is happening because Indian governments accepted and promoted all this and 'cared' can't you see that?

During British rule in famines ----nothing was done---the poor just died ----as Churchill, I believe described the poor as 'vermin'. As I said before, it also happened in the Princely States, the situation was too large to cope with both for them and the British. To ignore it as you want to do is to have the same attitude.

As OP stated above ---much was good about the Empire but to ignore the dark and evil is wrong.
You and Morpeth constantly excuse/ praise the occupation of India by the British/Portuguese, can you not understand that this is at least somewhat irritating to those who know the reality of being there.
“British rule in famines ----nothing was done---the poor just died ----as Churchill, I believe described the poor as 'vermin'. As I said before, it also happened in the Princely States, the situation was too large to cope with both for them and the British. To ignore it as you want to do is to have the same attitude.

First of all it is factually incorrect to say “nothing” was done. As EMR has pointed out facts do not seem to matter in your analysis of much to do with India. Second, there are a variety of reasons why the famines occurred, and as usual you do not present any sort of balanced view or analysis remotely representing an objective appraisal. Third, there were many policy decisions in the 19th century whether in India or elsewhere that today we may criticize with the benefit of hindsight and subsequent knowledge- for example the treatment of the mentally ill in the UK at the time.

I don’t think here I any question that British administrative policies in this ae in the least have been criticized nor that there was a role in the export-focus at the time. You haven’t presented any reasonable study showing to what degree weather was at fault, and your dismissal of the princely states – which would have been the norm if the British were not there- and their actions betrays your usual anti-Britsh bias.

In any case your desire no matter what to denigrate and engage in some imaginary world where India would be been remotely as advanced today as it has become without British rule

I admit I haven’t studied weather patterns of the 19th and 20th century in India to compare, nor to what degree the Green Revolution in the 1960’s (which came from the West) effected the famine pattern to what degree.

I actually would be interested in reading a scholarly somewhat objective analysis of he whle issue.

“As OP stated above ---much was good about the Empire but to ignore the dark and evil is wrong.”

I am unaware anyone in this or any other thread has ignored the negatives of British role, and as with the Romans in Brittan there were positives and negatives. Same every where.


“You and Morpeth constantly excuse/ praise the occupation of India by the British/Portuguese, can you not understand that this is at least somewhat irritating to those who know the reality of being there.”

It Is of course equally annoying for people who were in British India who knew the reality of India to her such a one-sided sometimes fantasy anti-British view.You sem to believe the views of foreigners who lived and worked in India at the time carry to merit, or Indians who question the conventional Indian patriotic viewpoints.

It is just a historical fact there were Portuguese and British colonies, and praising the beneficial aspects is not by definition wrong. Again when you go not a hospital or university in India, or the democratic nature of the country today or use the various institutions instituted by the British you are surrounded by the benefits- certainly you may not raise he benefits but you benefit from them daily.





Writing that India used force to takeover Goa doesn’t mean one is praising Portuguese rule- however that is a logical point you struggle with because you support he use of force to takeover territory IF it is done by Indians, in various places such as Hyderabad. The shameful treatment of the princely states, and actions in East Pakistan by the Indian security and military forces you do not seem to grasp are no different in principle than what the British or any other rules for thousands of year did n the geographic territory of a modern Indian state that didn’t exist before the British rule.

morpeth is online now  
Old Feb 5th 2019, 11:57 pm
  #141  
BE Enthusiast
 
prestonjohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: London.
Posts: 941
prestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: India and the Wars

Bose extracted a promise from Hitler that the INA would only fight against the British, not the Russians and that's because Bose was a socialist, not a National Socialist. They fought in the Italian Campaign and in France.They fought honourably and were repatriated to India in 1946.
prestonjohn is offline  
Old Feb 6th 2019, 12:23 am
  #142  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 20,755
Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: India and the Wars

Originally Posted by morpeth
1)“British rule in famines ----nothing was done---the poor just died ----as Churchill, I believe described the poor as 'vermin'. As I said before, it also happened in the Princely States, the situation was too large to cope with both for them and the British. To ignore it as you want to do is to have the same attitude.

First of all it is factually incorrect to say “nothing” was done. As EMR has pointed out facts do not seem to matter in your analysis of much to do with India. Second, there are a variety of reasons why the famines occurred, and as usual you do not present any sort of balanced view or analysis remotely representing an objective appraisal. Third, there were many policy decisions in the 19th century whether in India or elsewhere that today we may criticize with the benefit of hindsight and subsequent knowledge- for example the treatment of the mentally ill in the UK at the time.

2) I don’t think here I any question that British administrative policies in this ae in the least have been criticized nor that there was a role in the export-focus at the time. You haven’t presented any reasonable study showing to what degree weather was at fault, and your dismissal of the princely states – which would have been the norm if the British were not there- and their actions betrays your usual anti-Britsh bias.

3) In any case your desire no matter what to denigrate and engage in some imaginary world where India would be been remotely as advanced today as it has become without British rule

I admit I haven’t studied weather patterns of the 19th and 20th century in India to compare, nor to what degree the Green Revolution in the 1960’s (which came from the West) effected the famine pattern to what degree.

I actually would be interested in reading a scholarly somewhat objective analysis of he whle issue.

“As OP stated above ---much was good about the Empire but to ignore the dark and evil is wrong.”

4) I am unaware anyone in this or any other thread has ignored the negatives of British role, and as with the Romans in Brittan there were positives and negatives. Same every where.


“You and Morpeth constantly excuse/ praise the occupation of India by the British/Portuguese, can you not understand that this is at least somewhat irritating to those who know the reality of being there.”

It Is of course equally annoying for people who were in British India who knew the reality of India to her such a one-sided sometimes fantasy anti-British view.You sem to believe the views of foreigners who lived and worked in India at the time carry to merit, or Indians who question the conventional Indian patriotic viewpoints.

5) It is just a historical fact there were Portuguese and British colonies, and praising the beneficial aspects is not by definition wrong. Again when you go not a hospital or university in India, or the democratic nature of the country today or use the various institutions instituted by the British you are surrounded by the benefits- certainly you may not raise he benefits but you benefit from them daily.





6) Writing that India used force to takeover Goa doesn’t mean one is praising Portuguese rule- however that is a logical point you struggle with because you support he use of force to takeover territory IF it is done by Indians, in various places such as Hyderabad. The shameful treatment of the princely states, and actions in East Pakistan by the Indian security and military forces you do not seem to grasp are no different in principle than what the British or any other rules for thousands of year did n the geographic territory of a modern Indian state that didn’t exist before the British rule.
Morpeth as usual your 'crowded' post.

1) The FACT is Morpeth that multi-millions died. Can you really give the evidence that the weather was that much different pre-1947?

(I read some time ago that the wife of one of the Viceroys was upset by the famine that she had a hospital built------it had 30 beds!!!!!---(can't give a link at the moment)

2) I have mentioned that the deaths in some princely States also reached millions. The problem is that the people were already so poor that they could not stockpile food and they had no useful machinery to produce more----you ignore the cattle deaths ----also the post-famine illnesses that came from starvation.

3) As you say you can have no idea how India would have advanced without British rule.

4) You constantly compare with the Romans in the UK-----India was occupied until 1947!!!!!

5) I don't feel surrounded by British benefits when in India!!

Yes, the legal system ---but still suffering from some of the British laws---separate Muslim law etc.
Hospitals- no --all quite different.
Education system now quite different,
Roads majority are recent,
Political system ---Yes ----to some extent---*same faults!!!
Trains ---yes ---but remember they were built for the British benefit---the apartheid regarding the carriages.


6) The 'rescue' of Goa-----the Portuguese had every chance to leave peacefully.


Morpeth ---- you constantly refer to myself as anti-British, speaking Indian-English-----I am British. You remind me of a poster on a different thread some time ago who posted to me--
-" I am so sorry I was rude to you I thought you were Indian"-----

----*Indian OH-- watching UK TV-- has just stated "I thought Indian politicians were bad enough----British are worse".
Perhaps one day Morpeth you can also 'see' two sides and can understand occupation from the point of view of the occupied.

Last edited by Bipat; Feb 6th 2019 at 12:54 am.
Bipat is online now  
Old Feb 6th 2019, 12:58 am
  #143  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 20,755
Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: India and the Wars

Originally Posted by prestonjohn
Bose extracted a promise from Hitler that the INA would only fight against the British, not the Russians and that's because Bose was a socialist, not a National Socialist. They fought in the Italian Campaign and in France.They fought honourably and were repatriated to India in 1946.
I don't know the truth but have heard from elderly Indians that ambitious Nehru was jealous of Bose and determined not to let him get political power. That is why rumours about his death.

Bipat is online now  
Old Feb 6th 2019, 1:12 am
  #144  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 10,095
morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: India and the Wars

1) The FACT is Morpeth that multi-millions died. Can you really give the evidence that the weather was that much different pre-1947?

No one has denied the fact that millions died. You write as though someone did- a common tactic in your posts to state thigs no one has said or denied.

Weather changes all the time throughout the history of the planet just basic science. I do not know to what degree this effected the prevalence of famines of the 19th century, and as usual you present to evidence either way but take automatically the anti-British view that it wasn’t a major factor.


2) I have mentioned that the deaths in some princely States also reached millions

So do I take it then that it wasn’t just areas administered by the British ? Does this not imply that perhaps British policies were not solely or even mainly to blame ?.

3) As you say you can have no idea how India would have advanced without British rule.

True to some degree except all he elements that contributed to the modern scientific and economic revolution and advance of democracy simply were not present in India. So kind of hardtop imagine how they would magically appear in an independent India.

4) You constantly compare with the Romans in the UK-----India was occupied until 1947!!!!!

Same principle.

5) I don't feel surrounded by British benefits when in India!!

Then you should open your eyes and read more.


Yes, the legal system ---but still suffering from some of the British laws---

No legal system perfection but India obviously benefits greatly from the legal system established.

Hospitals- no --all quite different.

You miss the point- modern medicine was imported and the British established certain standards and procedures in the development of modern medicine in India.

Education system quite different,

The university tradition, and the development of modern universities in India is directly a result of British rule.







Roads majority recent,



Good point- and the equipment and the inventions that led to such equipment just magically appeared in India ?



Political system ---Yes ----to some extent.

To some extent ? You may wish to consider the elements of British liberal democracy and structure that have been adopted by India based on British traditions and practice.Certainly not a development form the Mughal Empire.



Trains ---yes ---but remember they were built for the British benefit---the apartheid regarding the carriages.

Whomever they were built for or how they were operated, simply a benefit of British rule.

6) The 'rescue' of Goa-----the Portuguese had every chance to leave peacefully.

The fact is simply India used force. Everyone justifies the use of force, doesn’t change force was used. BY your logic Hitler taking over the Sudentenland was a ‘rescue’.


Morpeth ---- you constantly refer to myself as anti-British, speaking Indian-English-----I am British. You remind me of a poster on a different thread some time ago who posted to me--
-" I am so sorry I was rude to you I thought you were Indian"-----


Your hyper-subjective animosity towards British rule, voidance of consideration of evidence, does seem to be ani-British. The language issue just seems hard to understand how you twist common English definitions into illogical assertions.

----Indian OH-- watching UK TV-- has just stated "I thought Indian politicians were bad enough----British are worse".

These days seems correct, but of coruse Brexiters thought about all this in advance.


Perhaps one day Morpeth you also can 'see' two sides and can understand occupation from the point of view of the occupied

I look at both and you look at one side. I clearly several times gave examples of family ‘folk memories’ hat were highly subjective.

Last edited by morpeth; Feb 6th 2019 at 1:16 am.
morpeth is online now  
Old Feb 6th 2019, 1:54 am
  #145  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 20,755
Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: India and the Wars

Originally Posted by morpeth
1) The FACT is Morpeth that multi-millions died. Can you really give the evidence that the weather was that much different pre-1947?

No one has denied the fact that millions died. You write as though someone did- a common tactic in your posts to state thigs no one has said or denied.

Weather changes all the time throughout the history of the planet just basic science. I do not know to what degree this effected the prevalence of famines of the 19th century, and as usual you present to evidence either way but take automatically the anti-British view that it wasn’t a major factor.


2) I have mentioned that the deaths in some princely States also reached millions

So do I take it then that it wasn’t just areas administered by the British ? Does this not imply that perhaps British policies were not solely or even mainly to blame ?.

3) As you say you can have no idea how India would have advanced without British rule.

True to some degree except all he elements that contributed to the modern scientific and economic revolution and advance of democracy simply were not present in India. So kind of hardtop imagine how they would magically appear in an independent India.

4) You constantly compare with the Romans in the UK-----India was occupied until 1947!!!!!

Same principle.

5) I don't feel surrounded by British benefits when in India!!

Then you should open your eyes and read more.


Yes, the legal system ---but still suffering from some of the British laws---

No legal system perfection but India obviously benefits greatly from the legal system established.

Hospitals- no --all quite different.

You miss the point- modern medicine was imported and the British established certain standards and procedures in the development of modern medicine in India.

Education system quite different,

The university tradition, and the development of modern universities in India is directly a result of British rule.







Roads majority recent,



Good point- and the equipment and the inventions that led to such equipment just magically appeared in India ?



Political system ---Yes ----to some extent.

To some extent ? You may wish to consider the elements of British liberal democracy and structure that have been adopted by India based on British traditions and practice.Certainly not a development form the Mughal Empire.



Trains ---yes ---but remember they were built for the British benefit---the apartheid regarding the carriages.

Whomever they were built for or how they were operated, simply a benefit of British rule.

6) The 'rescue' of Goa-----the Portuguese had every chance to leave peacefully.

The fact is simply India used force. Everyone justifies the use of force, doesn’t change force was used. BY your logic Hitler taking over the Sudentenland was a ‘rescue’.


Morpeth ---- you constantly refer to myself as anti-British, speaking Indian-English-----I am British. You remind me of a poster on a different thread some time ago who posted to me--
-" I am so sorry I was rude to you I thought you were Indian"-----


Your hyper-subjective animosity towards British rule, voidance of consideration of evidence, does seem to be ani-British. The language issue just seems hard to understand how you twist common English definitions into illogical assertions.

----Indian OH-- watching UK TV-- has just stated "I thought Indian politicians were bad enough----British are worse".

These days seems correct, but of coruse Brexiters thought about all this in advance.


Perhaps one day Morpeth you also can 'see' two sides and can understand occupation from the point of view of the occupied

I look at both and you look at one side. I clearly several times gave examples of family ‘folk memories’ hat were highly subjective.

Another bizarre post.

1) If the British were ruling then they were a major factor! A 30 bed hospital!!!!

3) Remember there was education and literature when the British were still living in caves.

5) My eyes are quite open----I actually see what is happening, not just read books written by people some of which have never set foot in the place.

(Why should politics have evolved directly from the Mughal Empire---what was British politics like in the 16th century?)

6) You again compare with Hitler-----There is no excuse for this remark Morpeth---

Goans were brown/Indian people they were not Portuguese!
OH's community fled from there, tortured etc. their history has been researched but with difficulty due to destroyed libraries etc. Christians also fled.
Salazar would not agree to leave peacefully, had every chance to do so.
At least the British did that!
Goans are Indian, they take part in Indian government ---there could be a Goan PM.

Morpeth I can see the good that came from British rule-----you refuse to see that occupation by a foreign power is essentially negative and that those that remember it will not agree with your views.

You mentioned Hitler ( again) -----just imagine if WW2 had ended differently ---UK would be under occupied and German rule----the economy would be flourishing.
Would you be making the same excuses for 'foreign' occupation??

Bipat is online now  
Old Feb 6th 2019, 3:19 am
  #146  
EMR
Banned
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 26,724
EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: India and the Wars

Originally Posted by Bipat
Another bizarre post.

1) If the British were ruling then they were a major factor! A 30 bed hospital!!!!

3) Remember there was education and literature when the British were still living in caves.

5) My eyes are quite open----I actually see what is happening, not just read books written by people some of which have never set foot in the place.

(Why should politics have evolved directly from the Mughal Empire---what was British politics like in the 16th century?)

6) You again compare with Hitler-----There is no excuse for this remark Morpeth---

Goans were brown/Indian people they were not Portuguese!
OH's community fled from there, tortured etc. their history has been researched but with difficulty due to destroyed libraries etc. Christians also fled.
Salazar would not agree to leave peacefully, had every chance to do so.
At least the British did that!
Goans are Indian, they take part in Indian government ---there could be a Goan PM.

Morpeth I can see the good that came from British rule-----you refuse to see that occupation by a foreign power is essentially negative and that those that remember it will not agree with your views.

You mentioned Hitler ( again) -----just imagine if WW2 had ended differently ---UK would be under occupied and German rule----the economy would be flourishing.
Would you be making the same excuses for 'foreign' occupation??
Yiuor posted your last sentences before and my response will be the same as before with the addition that you are posting even more total crap and bollocks..
The Nazis exterminated many if those they occupied ,, an industrial regime of exterminstion ,they did not add anything to the countries they occupied

You should look up on facts before you post, then you would not look as stupid as your comments make you appear..
EMR is offline  
Old Feb 6th 2019, 3:29 am
  #147  
EMR
Banned
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 26,724
EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: India and the Wars

[QUOTE=Bipat;12633156][QUOTE=EMR;12633152]You are doing it again.
Ignoring facts.
The British did ship food from Burma to alleviate those affected during the famines.
The British also exported food, enriching the Indian producers , traders, dealers all those involved in the production and trade.
What was the rail and road network in the 1870s, compared to the mid 20th
The mid 19th century was still the age of sail ,not fast vessels carrying tens thousands of tonnes of wheat in aid from the US etc , not available in the 19th century.
Bitish direct rule did not apply in the Princely states , what did they do to alleviate famines. In their kingdoms.
You excuse Indian rulers, some of the richest in the world but condemn the British governance of India.. where is your balance.
You underplay or ignore the huge scientific advances in the second half 20th century, that benefitted India , the billions in food aid simply because it does not suit your anti British all things Indian are better viewpoint...
Balance is missing from most of your posts,..


EMR ---the FACT is as you keeping referring to, is that multi- millions died in famines during British rule-----I pointed out to you that they also died in some Princely States.

I have not "ignored" scientific advance ---I said above that the Indian Governments have cared to use them---that is the difference!

Did you actually 'read' the post you are replying to----I said "much was good about the Empire"----as I also said to ignore the dark and evil as you and Morpeth do is absolutely wrong.
The scientific advances did not exist until the mid 60s .
So were not available during British rule.
Until then from 1947 onwards in the new post second workd war world India was the recipient of Billions of dollars worth if food aid..
little that alleviated famine was due to the actions of the Indian government but more to the generosity of all the nation's who provided aid.
It is in the historical record. Time you educated yourself.
In the mid 70s, India requested huge wheat shipments to offset a series of poor harvests.
look it up.

Last edited by EMR; Feb 6th 2019 at 3:31 am.
EMR is offline  
Old Feb 6th 2019, 3:33 am
  #148  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 20,755
Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: India and the Wars

Originally Posted by EMR
Yiuor posted your last sentences before and my response will be the same as before with the addition that you are posting even more total crap and bollocks..
The Nazis exterminated many if those they occupied ,, an industrial regime of exterminstion ,they did not add anything to the countries they occupied

You should look up on facts before you post, then you would not look as stupid as your comments make you appear..
EMR are you able to post without personal insults? "Crap"/"Bollocks"/"stupid" among much else.

READ the posts before you reply ---it was Morpeth, who was equating India with Hitler, as he has done before.

(My post was referring to foreign occupation as such).

Bipat is online now  
Old Feb 6th 2019, 3:52 am
  #149  
EMR
Banned
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 26,724
EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: India and the Wars

Originally Posted by Bipat
EMR are you able to post without personal insults? "Crap"/"Bollocks"/"stupid" among much else.

READ the posts before you reply ---it was Morpeth, who was equating India with Hitler, as he has done before.

(My post was referring to foreign occupation as such).
Not when you equate British rule to that of the Nazis .
It was your comparison the second time you have made iit I was responding to...
Your comment was, bollocks, crap and stupid.



EMR is offline  
Old Feb 6th 2019, 3:56 am
  #150  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 0
scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: India and the Wars

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Ah, I've missed you and your constant promotion of the wonderland that is India - a place so great and amazing that around 250million of it's 1bn inhabitants are climbing on top of each other to get out.
And they're all relatives of Bipat!
scrubbedexpat142 is offline  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.