British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   India (https://britishexpats.com/forum/india-169/)
-   -   India Evisa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/india-169/india-evisa-909863/)

Wyze187 Mar 1st 2018 7:26 pm

India Evisa

A couple of questions
1) Is the visa valid from when you enter India, or the moment it is granted
2) how long is it valid 30 or 60 days?

Thanks in advance

Wyze187 Mar 2nd 2018 7:17 am

Re: India Evisa

Can anyone please advise

Thank you very much, I am flying from the UK

sun_burn Mar 7th 2018 7:38 pm

'the official website instructions to applicant answers both your questions:
https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/evisa/tvoa.html

BritInParis Mar 8th 2018 9:28 am

60 days validity from your date of arrival.

EMR Oct 4th 2018 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12458505)
60 days validity from your date of arrival.

Got ours from the official site, cost over 100$.

Wyze187 Oct 4th 2018 5:06 pm

Yeah same, and arrived within 2 days

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12572842)

Bipat Oct 4th 2018 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12572842)

The standard visitor visa for the UK costs £93, (last time I looked) considering the cost of living difference, quite expensive.
(When are you going?)

sun_burn Oct 5th 2018 3:30 am

The eVisa price has nothing to do with cost of living differences and is due to reciprocity. From personal experience within family, I know that the fee for Japan and Singapore nationals is $25. Indonesian nationals pay $0 due to their liberal visa policy to Indian tourists . EU nationals pay $80 (previously $75 I think) . US and UK passports pay $100 .

Bipat Oct 5th 2018 6:43 am

Originally Posted by sun_burn (Post 12573138)
The eVisa price has nothing to do with cost of living differences and is due to reciprocity. From personal experience within family, I know that the fee for Japan and Singapore nationals is $25. Indonesian nationals pay $0 due to their liberal visa policy to Indian tourists . EU nationals pay $80 (previously $75 I think) . US and UK passports pay $100 .

I know that it is due to reciprocity, however it is more 'painful' for Indian nationals due to cost of living.
Many get a Schengen visa as this gives more travel possibilities but reduces tourism to the UK.

sun_burn Oct 5th 2018 3:13 pm

That's the point, isn't it ? $100 in eVisa fees simply reciprocates the pain for Indian nationals. Schengen visas are cheaper and offer more flexibility. Therefore mainland EU passports get charged correspondingly less in eVisa fees.

Bipat Oct 5th 2018 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by sun_burn (Post 12573381)
That's the point, isn't it ? $100 in eVisa fees simply reciprocates the pain for Indian nationals. Schengen visas are cheaper and offer more flexibility. Therefore mainland EU passports get charged correspondingly less in eVisa fees.

I should have said "income differences" of the majority of travellers, rather than 'cost of living' although the two are related.

(OCI at £200 approx. is reasonable for those who are eligible).

sun_burn Oct 5th 2018 3:58 pm

The eVisa fees are based on reciprocity. The higher fees for UK and US nationals correspond to the cost and complexity involved in obtaining visas to those places.

The Indian eVisa system is vastly more convenient than anything the US, UK or EU offers an Indian traveler. It's entirely appropriate that the fee they pay correspond to what an Indian traveler to those places pay.

Bipat Oct 5th 2018 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by sun_burn (Post 12573403)
The eVisa fees are based on reciprocity. The higher fees for UK and US nationals correspond to the cost and complexity involved in obtaining visas to those places.

The Indian eVisa system is vastly more convenient than anything the US, UK or EU offers an Indian traveler. It's entirely appropriate that the fee they pay correspond to what an Indian traveler to those places pay.

I am not sure of your point! I know it is reciprocal. The eVisa is obviously convenient for the short stay tourist.
My point was that the the cost of a visa to the UK is a larger chunk of the average salary of an Indian traveller so may deter potential tourists. (USA is, I am told by rels. far less hassle and a 10 year visa is possible for frequent travellers).

sun_burn Oct 5th 2018 4:54 pm

The cost of a UK visa is only relevant to this thread in the context of the fees for UK passport holders being approximately the same in reciprocity. Other points are not relevant.