Deobandi

Old Apr 12th 2016, 11:43 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Deobandi

Originally Posted by bakedbean
I don't think so. I think, historically, maybe the Caucases (sp?). But these days (at least here in Malaysia) refers to "White" skinned Westerners. ....
Across the western world too, that is how "Caucasian" is commonly used, but anthropologically that is incorrect.
..... Actually it's all bonkers, I'm "white" but am about the same colour of some of my Indian friends. ....
Anthropologically you are all Caucasians.
Old Apr 13th 2016, 8:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

When I get these stupid questions about racial origins which the Race Relations industry in the UK has made mandatory, I either refuse to answer or under "other" describe myself as "Honky"
Old Apr 13th 2016, 9:05 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
When I get these stupid questions about racial origins which the Race Relations industry in the UK has made mandatory, I either refuse to answer or under "other" describe myself as "Honky"
Well.....that's not something you can do as an Expat. Have to fall into line in whatever country you are in. But maybe you're not an Expat.
Old Apr 13th 2016, 9:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
And confusingly the split is different out here in Asia. You wouldn't say Asians to describe Indians. Asians are Asians.

Here, when you refer to Indians, you're normally talking about race not the country. Does not matter if they originate from Malaysia (not Malaya BTW) or India or Sri Lanka or Britain or wherever. I'd be referred to as Caucasian.

I think in the UK (but correct me if I am wrong as I've not been back there in donkeys years) they don't like to mention race somehow.
I don't think for most people the term 'Asian' is to do with race. It is just that people are unaware of the different countries concerned, Pakistan, India, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Afghanistan all represented in the UK. But how would people know unless they had a particular interest?
Many people living in those countries would not know the difference between European countries.
However the press do know and they make mischief every time there is a scandal by referring to "Asians".

India itself is a genetic mixture, people from Assam look quite different from those in Tamil Nadu etc.
Also there have been many invasions.
Pulaski's above post regarding Pakistan--and Partition. Many, not all, who went to the new Pakistan were descendants of the Mughal Empire (some of the Emperors encouraged inter- marriage and also compulsory conversions). So many look different facially from Hindus or even Muslims from Southern States.
So in the UK, people from one Asian origin will often recognise those of different origin by looks as well as dress etc. but local people will not.
All the above is a generalisation though.
Old Apr 13th 2016, 2:17 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bipat
I don't think for most people the term 'Asian' is to do with race. It is just that people are unaware of the different countries concerned, Pakistan, India, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Afghanistan all represented in the UK. But how would people know unless they had a particular interest?
Many people living in those countries would not know the difference between European countries.
However the press do know and they make mischief every time there is a scandal by referring to "Asians".

India itself is a genetic mixture, people from Assam look quite different from those in Tamil Nadu etc.
Also there have been many invasions.
Pulaski's above post regarding Pakistan--and Partition. Many, not all, who went to the new Pakistan were descendants of the Mughal Empire (some of the Emperors encouraged inter- marriage and also compulsory conversions). So many look different facially from Hindus or even Muslims from Southern States.
So in the UK, people from one Asian origin will often recognise those of different origin by looks as well as dress etc. but local people will not.
All the above is a generalisation though.
Isrealis are Asians too.
Old Apr 13th 2016, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by scot47
In the US the question cannot be mandatory, but I often decline to answer. Curiously where the law mandates that a business collect such data the law allows someone to make a racial determination of you! .... But you can put whatever you self-identify as, and nobody dares to challenge that.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 13th 2016 at 3:59 pm.
Old Apr 13th 2016, 3:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Isrealis are Asians too.
Yes but we are discussing the UK. For the press and some of the general public in UK----'brown' people are "Asians". Israelis are Jewish!
There is a small group of Indian Jewish people in Cochin, but they have all but disappeared a they don't 'marry out'.
The same thing is happening to Indian Zoroastrians originally from Iran (Parsees), who were very strict about marriage but lately some high profile Parsees have married Hindus.

Which brings us back to the UK, there the fastest growing ethnic group are 'mixed' race. I think there is a slot for them to fill on the census form.

In India with extensive modern travel and young people mixing at colleges, the old style match-making/arrangements are disappearing, particularly with the middle-classes, so groups are becoming mixed there also. (It had always happened but now much more so).