Reload this Page >

Claiming UK Nationality through mother

Claiming UK Nationality through mother

Old Jun 29th 2013, 12:03 am
Just Joined

gvalluri is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Claiming UK Nationality through mother

Hello,

I'm not sure if this is an appropriate topic for this forum. Please let me know if its not.

I am claiming Right of Abode through my UK born mother. My mother was born in the UK in 1960 and I was born in India in 1985.

I was required to submit the following documents with my application-
1. UK birth certificate of my mother
2. My birth certificate from India with my parent's name mentioned.

The problem is my mother's name mentioned on my birth certificate is her "Post-marriage" name and her name on her UK birth certificate is her maiden name.

I thought it would be a good idea to submit my parents' marriage certificate (from India) to support the name change but there's an issue with it.

My mother's maiden name on her marriage certificate is a different version. Her first name and her surname are mentioned along with my grandfather's name as her middle name (according to the way her school in maharashtra entered her name in their records - as per some local custom from the 1960s).

Anyone has any ideas on how I can connect my mother's name on her birth certificate to her name on my birth certificate?

How about if I submit copies of her latest passport which mentions her post-marriage name and matches the date of birth, place of birth, father's name and mother's name details from her UK birth certificate?

I'd appreciate any help very much.

Last edited by gvalluri; Jun 29th 2013 at 12:07 am.
Old Jun 29th 2013, 4:02 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Claiming UK Nationality through mother

Hi there and welcome to the forum . I don't know if anyone in the India section can help you out..... see if there's any response to this thread.

You might like to look at this sub-forum here which is actually in the Moving Back to the UK sub-forum, but info about Citizenship and Spouse/Family Visas. You might find something in there. Best of luck.
Old Jun 29th 2013, 6:11 am
Just Joined

Thank you Bakedbean!

Are you a moderator? Can you help me move my thread to the "Moving back to UK" forum?

If not, I'd like to request any other moderator to help me with move this thread there.

Thank you!
Old Jun 29th 2013, 12:05 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Are you applying for your first British passport? If so it's always a good idea to include a photocopy of your parents' passports for any first time application.

As for your documentation I can't imagine that an extra middle name would matter so long as the surnames match. Plus if it's your grandfather's name that would be present on your mother's birth certificate so the examiner will be able to see where it's come from. Are you applying in India? If so then they are likely to be aware of any 'quirks' assorted with Indian documentation. It will take several months to process however as all the documents have to be verified locally due to the high incidence of fraud.

Last edited by BritInParis; Jun 29th 2013 at 12:06 pm. Reason: Correction
Old Jun 30th 2013, 2:19 am
Just Joined

Hey BritInParis,

I'm applying for a Certificate of Entitlement to Right of Abode stamp in my Indian passport.

And sorry I did not mention that I had already made an application and it was refused because the names did not match. I had included my mother's passport copies but the ECO did not look at them.

I'm now preparing my case for appeal.
Old Jun 30th 2013, 5:27 am

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gvalluri
Hello,

I'm not sure if this is an appropriate topic for this forum. Please let me know if its not.

I am claiming Right of Abode through my UK born mother. My mother was born in the UK in 1960 and I was born in India in 1985.

I was required to submit the following documents with my application-
1. UK birth certificate of my mother
2. My birth certificate from India with my parent's name mentioned.

The problem is my mother's name mentioned on my birth certificate is her "Post-marriage" name and her name on her UK birth certificate is her maiden name.

I thought it would be a good idea to submit my parents' marriage certificate (from India) to support the name change but there's an issue with it.

My mother's maiden name on her marriage certificate is a different version. Her first name and her surname are mentioned along with my grandfather's name as her middle name (according to the way her school in maharashtra entered her name in their records - as per some local custom from the 1960s).

Anyone has any ideas on how I can connect my mother's name on her birth certificate to her name on my birth certificate?

How about if I submit copies of her latest passport which mentions her post-marriage name and matches the date of birth, place of birth, father's name and mother's name details from her UK birth certificate?

I'd appreciate any help very much.
Hi
Welcome to BE. Like bakebean, many of the questions regarding status I am unable to answer and wait for one of our "indian " friends to help out. I am sure they will.
Old Jun 30th 2013, 6:42 pm
Back from India

pennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by gvalluri
Hey BritInParis,

I'm applying for a Certificate of Entitlement to Right of Abode stamp in my Indian passport.

And sorry I did not mention that I had already made an application and it was refused because the names did not match. I had included my mother's passport copies but the ECO did not look at them.

I'm now preparing my case for appeal.
You might try posting on a specific immigration website and post the exact wording of your refusal.
Old Jul 1st 2013, 6:50 am
Just Joined

Hey Pennylessinindia, thanks for the reply.

Yes, I have posted the same matter in some other immigration forums. It seems my predicament is a rare one...