BEs Retiring in India

Old Feb 18th 2012, 6:36 am
Yes a friend to all BEs

IndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond repute
Default BEs Retiring in India

Hello boarders

There are several nice, friendly places in India for BE retirees to live and enjoy their lives. These could be in the hill stations (hill resorts), small towns or even medium to large cities, depending upon their interests. Every place may not have large BE/European communities but that doesn't really matter, they'll find and make new friends. It not tough.
My city Pune, e.g., is a wonderful place, safe city, nice folks, very nice climate, no beaches but nice hills, a fairly large Expat community, several interesting things to do and certainly a better quality of life than a metropolis like Mumbai (Bombay).
Be happy to assist any BEs with further info. Post here or PM me.

Having said that please read this important post in another thread by concierge and regular BE boarder dreadsoc here http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=747706 post #2
especially about the Visas and other official paperwork. Afraid I dont know much about these things.

Cheers
Old Feb 19th 2012, 12:46 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BEs Retiring in India

Hi Indian friend

It sounds like a lovely place. I have heard many good things about Pune from friends who have spent some of their travels there - I shall have to put it on my list of places to go when I m in India.... just one question, are there plenty of international eating places in Pune?
I and many others just wish the Indian government would sort out the visa situation because at the moment most Europeans can only get 3 or 6 month tourist visas, after which they must leave the country and stay away for 2 months. This makes it difficult (and expensive) to live in India unless you are transferred there to work for a company.
That said a couple of Brits who are BE regulars have managed to get a 1 year residential so we are all very much hoping this is a sign that things will change in the future. It would be great if residential visas were made properly available for retired folks to live in India - I think the climate alone would be very tempting for many.

Dread - x
Old Feb 19th 2012, 4:22 am
Yes a friend to all BEs

IndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond reputeIndianFriend has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dreadsoc
Hi Indian friend

It sounds like a lovely place. I have heard many good things about Pune from friends who have spent some of their travels there - I shall have to put it on my list of places to go when I m in India.... just one question, are there plenty of international eating places in Pune?

I and many others just wish the Indian government would sort out the visa situation because at the moment most Europeans can only get 3 or 6 month tourist visas, after which they must leave the country and stay away for 2 months. This makes it difficult (and expensive) to live in India unless you are transferred there to work for a company.
That said a couple of Brits who are BE regulars have managed to get a 1 year residential so we are all very much hoping this is a sign that things will change in the future. It would be great if residential visas were made properly available for retired folks to live in India - I think the climate alone would be very tempting for many.

Dread - x
Hello dreadsoc

Indeed Pune is a very nice place and BEs will love it whether coming for long stay or as tourists. Yes you must have it top of your list for next visit to India. Climate is very good for most of the year except 2-3 months when it does get hot.

Yes there are many international eating places. Pune offers excellent eateries and tourists can get cuisine from almost every part of the world especially in Koregaon Park area where you will find a large number of Expats because of the Rajneesh Ashram meditation centre located there. Hotels here serve diverse cuisines including Chinese, Malaysian, Thai, Israeli, German, French, Italian, Lebanese, Turkish, Arab, Indian Moghlai and of course local Maharashtrian food. You name it and you can get it! Lots of Pizza and other fast food places, takeaways and home deliveries.

I am also working on putting up some India city guides on Wiki in this forum, starting with Pune city info. Hope to put it up soon so everyone can get detailed info.

As for Visas and official paperwork, tourists of course would have no issues at all. And I'll try to find out info from reliable sources for permanent/long term stay.

Cheers
Old Feb 19th 2012, 5:05 am

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IndianFriend
Hello dreadsoc

Indeed Pune is a very nice place and BEs will love it whether coming for long stay or as tourists. Yes you must have it top of your list for next visit to India. Climate is very good for most of the year except 2-3 months when it does get hot.

Yes there are many international eating places. Pune offers excellent eateries and tourists can get cuisine from almost every part of the world especially in Koregaon Park area where you will find a large number of Expats because of the Rajneesh Ashram meditation centre located there. Hotels here serve diverse cuisines including Chinese, Malaysian, Thai, Israeli, German, French, Italian, Lebanese, Turkish, Arab, Indian Moghlai and of course local Maharashtrian food. You name it and you can get it! Lots of Pizza and other fast food places, takeaways and home deliveries.

I am also working on putting up some India city guides on Wiki in this forum, starting with Pune city info. Hope to put it up soon so everyone can get detailed info.

As for Visas and official paperwork, tourists of course would have no issues at all. And I'll try to find out info from reliable sources for permanent/long term stay.

Cheers
Hi thanks Indian Friend, an India City ~Guide would be much appreciated by our members.
Old Feb 19th 2012, 7:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Indian friend

Dread - x
Yes Pune has so many good eating places. We had our Christmas lunch there, this time, at the Seasons appartment hotel. An amazing buffet with even a turkey, and unlimited wine or beer.
Have many relatives there who would agree with 'Indian Friend', they wouldn't live anywhere else.
I personally find the traffic terrible, and when a pedestrian, crossing a road can be terrifying.

Also the shopping on Laxmi road is great, including a music shop where you can get tapes of all the old singers etc.

Last edited by Bipat; Feb 19th 2012 at 7:21 am.
Old Feb 19th 2012, 11:16 am
Yes a friend to all BEs

Originally Posted by Bipat
Yes Pune has so many good eating places. We had our Christmas lunch there, this time, at the Seasons appartment hotel. An amazing buffet with even a turkey, and unlimited wine or beer.
Have many relatives there who would agree with 'Indian Friend', they wouldn't live anywhere else.
I personally find the traffic terrible, and when a pedestrian, crossing a road can be terrifying.

Also the shopping on Laxmi road is great, including a music shop where you can get tapes of all the old singers etc.
Glad you enjoyed Bipat. Thats the first testimonial, thanks

Yes once you've lived in Pune, you will not leave the place. As the HQ of the Indian Army's Southern Command, several people have over the years come to Pune on a posting and stayed back and made it their home. I have known people from places like Dehradun, Garhwal, and other Cantonments who now prefer to settle in Pune. The educational facilities are very good and families are happy here.

Yes traffic is a problem, you are very right. But its slightly better than say Delhi or Mumbai, although thats not saying much good.

Laxmi Road is the heart of the walled city and a traditional market place but now the outer areas have several malls and other shopping areas. Places like Kalyani Nagar, Koregaon Park, Wanowrie, Viman Nagar. Over the past 2-3 years, at least 4-5 new 5-Star hotels have opened on Nagar Road, including Hyatt, Ista, Westin, Oberoi and more are coming up.

Pune has some very good music places and programs. Theres a Jazz Club, plus theres Pune Music Society thats for Classical Western Music and of course many Societies for Indian Classical and semi classical Music. If you are music lover, Pune is the place to be.

This is one city that BEs must visit on next India trip.
Old Feb 19th 2012, 2:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IndianFriend
Glad you enjoyed Bipat. Thats the first testimonial, thanks

Yes once you've lived in Pune, you will not leave the place. As the HQ of the Indian Army's Southern Command, several people have over the years come to Pune on a posting and stayed back and made it their home. I have known people from places like Dehradun, Garhwal, and other Cantonments who now prefer to settle in Pune. The educational facilities are very good and families are happy here.

Yes traffic is a problem, you are very right. But its slightly better than say Delhi or Mumbai, although thats not saying much good.

Laxmi Road is the heart of the walled city and a traditional market place but now the outer areas have several malls and other shopping areas. Places like Kalyani Nagar, Koregaon Park, Wanowrie, Viman Nagar. Over the past 2-3 years, at least 4-5 new 5-Star hotels have opened on Nagar Road, including Hyatt, Ista, Westin, Oberoi and more are coming up.

Pune has some very good music places and programs. Theres a Jazz Club, plus theres Pune Music Society thats for Classical Western Music and of course many Societies for Indian Classical and semi classical Music. If you are music lover, Pune is the place to be.

This is one city that BEs must visit on next India trip.

One more food Positive; the biryanis that can be home delivered, from small pot to 'dustbin' sized, making catering for home guests easier.

Negatives: the Mumbai/ Pune Highway, fast vehicles almost always too close, ignoring required breaking distances.
Also Pune too far from the sea !!!!! Brits are island people they like being near the sea.

My favourite big city is Chennai, it has everything.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 12:02 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Your city guide is a great idea Indian Friend.
Quite a number of Brits who stay in Goa for the UK winter months like to take trips to other parts of India, so please do put a link to your city guide on the Goa forum so people will know where to find it.

Will you be including details of good places to stay within various budgets?
(That's usually the first thing people tend to ask about when trying out somewhere new)

Dread - X
Old Feb 20th 2012, 1:19 am
Yes a friend to all BEs

Your city guide is a great idea Indian Friend.
Quite a number of Brits who stay in Goa for the UK winter months like to take trips to other parts of India, so please do put a link to your city guide on the Goa forum so people will know where to find it.

Will you be including details of good places to stay within various budgets?
(That's usually the first thing people tend to ask about when trying out somewhere new)

Dread - X
Hello. Yes sure I can put up the city guides on Wiki and give links on forums? I'll put in links / contact numbers to some nice places to stay. Have some ready as an Israeli friend just visited here.

Boarders can post or PM for any specific info.
Old Feb 25th 2012, 12:36 am

That's great Indian Friend. It will be great for our forum members to have access to good information on other parts of India.
It is this type of contribution to the India forum which will really enhance it and hopefully bring more and more members on board, which will be great. I for one would like to see this relatively new forum on BE grow and grow so keep up the good work.

Dread - x
Old Feb 25th 2012, 4:03 pm
Yes a friend to all BEs

That's great Indian Friend. It will be great for our forum members to have access to good information on other parts of India.
It is this type of contribution to the India forum which will really enhance it and hopefully bring more and more members on board, which will be great. I for one would like to see this relatively new forum on BE grow and grow so keep up the good work.

Dread - x
Thanks Dread

I have put up the first India City Guide on Wiki here http://britishexpats.com/wiki/India_City_Guides Its on my city Pune. Its basic info and theres so much more that me and other boarders can keep adding. I hope this basic info gives all an insight into the City.

Will try and put up Mumbai, Ahmedabad and so on, next.

Cheers

Last edited by IndianFriend; Feb 25th 2012 at 4:08 pm.
Old Feb 25th 2012, 4:48 pm

I just read it Indian friend - it is really good - nice and short but full of useful information - especially on places to go and things to do.

Please start a thread on the Goa forum entitled Indian City Guides with a link to it as there are loads of expats who go to Goa every winter, but may not go into the Wiki - but will almost certainly use the link.

Nice work dude - I'M IMPRESSED -

Dread - x
Old Feb 27th 2012, 1:14 pm

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

I just read it Indian friend - it is really good - nice and short but full of useful information - especially on places to go and things to do.

Please start a thread on the Goa forum entitled Indian City Guides with a link to it as there are loads of expats who go to Goa every winter, but may not go into the Wiki - but will almost certainly use the link.

Nice work dude - I'M IMPRESSED -

Dread - x
please do as Dread asks! excellent info.
which our members would enjoy reading.
Old Feb 27th 2012, 3:08 pm
Yes a friend to all BEs

Originally Posted by noni
please do as Dread asks! excellent info.
which our members would enjoy reading.
Thanks Dread and Noni, glad you found it useful. Will try and get the guides up soon.

Cheers
Old Mar 7th 2012, 8:56 am
Back from India

pennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to behold

Found your posts interesting, have to say Pune has some interesting places but the roads are worse than Mumbai and the signing for leaving the city is a nightmare. I think very soon it will be just one big city like Mumbai. But worth a visit, the highway from Mumbai is quick but many a great crash takes place on that road.
Give me the train any day!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.