Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India
Reload this Page >

appropriate dress length in Mumbai?

appropriate dress length in Mumbai?

Old Aug 24th 2014, 10:09 pm
Forum Regular

miramar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default appropriate dress length in Mumbai?

Hello, I've been reading that Mumbai is not as conservative as other parts of India regarding women's dress. Is it appropriate for a woman to wear a knee length dress/skirt in public or should dresses/skirts touch the ankles?

I would never wear shorts but wondered if capri pants (2 or 3 inches below the knee) would be appropriate?

Thanks for your help and looking forward to moving to Mumbai!
Old Aug 24th 2014, 11:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: appropriate dress length in Mumbai?

I have no idea on the actual implementation but I say wear what makes you comfortable. Its not like we ask them to stop wearing their "weird" or conservative clothing when they come to our countries. Why should they ask us to remove our "weird" or "non-conservative" in their eyes, clothing?
Old Aug 25th 2014, 12:24 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: appropriate dress length in Mumbai?

Originally Posted by Gozit
I have no idea on the actual implementation but I say wear what makes you comfortable. Its not like we ask them to stop wearing their "weird" or conservative clothing when they come to our countries. Why should they ask us to remove our "weird" or "non-conservative" in their eyes, clothing?
true, but I guess I follow the old adage, "when in Rome do as the Romans".
Old Aug 25th 2014, 7:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by miramar
Hello, I've been reading that Mumbai is not as conservative as other parts of India regarding women's dress. Is it appropriate for a woman to wear a knee length dress/skirt in public or should dresses/skirts touch the ankles?

I would never wear shorts but wondered if capri pants (2 or 3 inches below the knee) would be appropriate?

Thanks for your help and looking forward to moving to Mumbai!
Probably all big cities are less conservative/traditional than small towns and certainly villages but it is changing all the time.

Capri pants are fine, with shirt top, if in your twenties you could get away with a t-shirt outside the house (with a light scarf) otherwise a shirt.

Dresses below the knee are OK -- (older Christian ladies in Goa wear frocks always about mid-calf).

Younger Indian women (below 60s!!) all tend to wear trousers/jeans and kurta/tunic tops or salwar kameez.

Saris are now often kept for formal occasions although many work places insist on them, for PR.

(Very poor women wear saris as they can be much cheaper than other clothing and easier to wash etc.)

Where in Mumbai will you be?
Old Aug 25th 2014, 10:15 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by miramar
true, but I guess I follow the old adage, "when in Rome do as the Romans".
I think it's lovely when people make an effort to ensure they don't offend local people/customs/culture - particularly when they're going to make their home there. Good on you!
Old Aug 25th 2014, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: appropriate dress length in Mumbai?

Originally Posted by Bipat
Probably all big cities are less conservative/traditional than small towns and certainly villages but it is changing all the time.

Capri pants are fine, with shirt top, if in your twenties you could get away with a t-shirt outside the house (with a light scarf) otherwise a shirt.

Dresses below the knee are OK -- (older Christian ladies in Goa wear frocks always about mid-calf).

Younger Indian women (below 60s!!) all tend to wear trousers/jeans and kurta/tunic tops or salwar kameez.

Saris are now often kept for formal occasions although many work places insist on them, for PR.

(Very poor women wear saris as they can be much cheaper than other clothing and easier to wash etc.)

Where in Mumbai will you be?
Thank you for the information, I don't know exactly where as the company my husbands worksfor will provide the apartment, but I'll post when I find out.

Last edited by miramar; Aug 25th 2014 at 12:18 pm. Reason: grammar mistake