Reload this Page >

Advice needed for UK couple

Advice needed for UK couple

Old Feb 24th 2019, 5:53 pm
Just Joined

Shaygood is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice needed for UK couple

Hi everyone,
I am new to the Forum and my wife and I are looking for advice on moving to India. We are looking to obtain an OCI card and then purchase land or property in the south of India but we do not know whether there are other certain restrictions or problems that we may face.

I have read a thread on here about the troubles of opening guesthouse in Goa but it would be good to understand what the experience has been like for those who have purchased in other places in India, such as Kerala or Rajasthan as these are our preferred destinations, due to the great experience there on holiday.If anyone has any really good tips or just any other good literature to read on doing this it would be really helpful.

Thanks very much
Shay
Old Feb 25th 2019, 8:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice needed for UK couple

Originally Posted by Shaygood
Hi everyone,
I am new to the Forum and my wife and I are looking for advice on moving to India. We are looking to obtain an OCI card and then purchase land or property in the south of India but we do not know whether there are other certain restrictions or problems that we may face.

I have read a thread on here about the troubles of opening guesthouse in Goa but it would be good to understand what the experience has been like for those who have purchased in other places in India, such as Kerala or Rajasthan as these are our preferred destinations, due to the great experience there on holiday.If anyone has any really good tips or just any other good literature to read on doing this it would be really helpful.

Thanks very much
Shay
The only real restrictions on purchase is that as OCI you cannot buy---agricultural land.-----The problem is that much land which appears to be non-agricultural has not been officially re-registered. Getting it registered can take months! What you think of as 'land' may well be agricultural as the seller will want to pass on the difficulties and cost of registration.

Goa has additional problems in that the old Portuguese land laws still existed until recently.

The old problem of buying non-new build and the 'black money' portion (cash) demanded has improved because of demonetisation.
Wherever you choose the important thing is to find a good lawyer local to that area and to go there yourselves.
It might help to access the IndiaMike site for the area you choose----although a travel Forum has general uses as well.

https://www.indiamike.com/