British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   India (https://britishexpats.com/forum/india-169/)
-   -   3 month annual family spiritual and culture visit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/india-169/3-month-annual-family-spiritual-culture-visit-903745/)

Mike1001 Sep 24th 2017 1:11 pm

3 month annual family spiritual and culture visit

Hi,
I am looking to plan visits to Coimbatore region for 3 months every year. We hope to visit or attend the Isha center and allow our primary aged kids to learn some local Indian language, culture and spiritual exposure..we don't need to work,but consider some volunteer or social type volunteering. My wife is an ophthalmologist and I some logistic management skills.I am looking forward to advice on everything from schools to accommodation in the region..many thanks. Mike ,

Bipat Sep 24th 2017 10:47 pm

Re: 3 month annual family spiritual and culture visit

Originally Posted by Mike1001 (Post 12345230)
Hi,
I am looking to plan visits to Coimbatore region for 3 months every year. We hope to visit or attend the Isha center and allow our primary aged kids to learn some local Indian language, culture and spiritual exposure..we don't need to work,but consider some volunteer or social type volunteering. My wife is an ophthalmologist and I some logistic management skills.I am looking forward to advice on everything from schools to accommodation in the region..many thanks. Mike ,

You will get more information regarding schools etc. from the IndiaMike http://www.indiamike.com/Forum.
For volunteer work you will need an appropriate visa.

How much time have you spent in India?
Be very careful of 'spiritual' centres--particularly with children--some 'gurus' really are after money and exert undue influence.

Mike1001 Sep 25th 2017 4:37 pm

Thanks! its very good of you to give me a heads up, I will check out the link.
I do think I am ok with Sadhguru Jaggi Vasudev though. He seems to be extremely well known and is highly regarded. Who knows maybe one day I will meet him.

scot47 Sep 25th 2017 6:01 pm

There are some disturbing details on the Wikipedia entry about your favourite Indian Mystic. Take care !

Mike1001 Sep 25th 2017 7:43 pm

Thanks
But I don’t believe Wikipedia is the font of truth. I myself tend to experience or listen to first hand accounts before making judgements.

scot47 Oct 14th 2017 11:48 pm

No shortage of false prophets - East and West.

a_f_d Oct 16th 2017 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by Mike1001 (Post 12346104)
Thanks! its very good of you to give me a heads up, I will check out the link.
I do think I am ok with Sadhguru Jaggi Vasudev though. He seems to be extremely well known and is highly regarded. Who knows maybe one day I will meet him.

I didn't know much about this guy so I watched his
- i found it pleasantly superficial and for the most part inconsequential, but what was far more significant was the vicious bi-partisanship shown in the comments. This sort of poisonous polarisation seems to poison nearly all current discourse, from politics to sport.

AndyD 8-)

Mike1001 Oct 18th 2017 9:09 am

Thank you for your reply. One persons poison is another persons cure.

a_f_d Oct 18th 2017 10:17 am

Originally Posted by Mike1001 (Post 12363641)
Thank you for your reply. One persons poison is another persons cure.

I think you have signally misunderstood at least that part of my post.

AndyD 8-(

Mike1001 Oct 19th 2017 10:44 am

Andy, if you think I have misunderstood, please feel free to explain, thanks.

a_f_d Oct 19th 2017 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by Mike1001 (Post 12364485)
Andy, if you think I have misunderstood, please feel free to explain, thanks.

my reference to poison was only related to the posted comments, not the content of the lecture (come to think about it, most of the posts weren't about the content of the lecture either).

AndyD 8-)