British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Young family member (UK) to AU - options (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/young-family-member-uk-au-options-940955/)

AJRussell Oct 4th 2021 10:45 am

Young family member (UK) to AU - options

Hey,

I have young family member in the UK (19) who wishes to 'escape' the UK - we (Citizens) are planning to fly them over on a e-visitor for the first 3 months whilst they decide what they want to do next steps. I have some understandings that we can renew the evisitor for them every 3 months (if out the country) - or Tourist Stream (12 months?). We plan to support them, as well as they will receive support from parents in the UK (good standings). I am aware they cannot work on a evisitor, but can volunteer (there passion).

I appreciate we can eventually get them on a working visa, which can be extended to 3 years based on meeting certain criteria. But we know ultimately they likely wish to settle here. Is there anyway we can sponsor them to stay or get them on a PR? They have struggled with Covid/university and wants to start again. Has no criminal record, and should meet any health requirements.

I am trying to understand the types of conversations I can have with them over the next few months as we begin to explore. I appreciate they might get here and be home sick after 3 months (the two year itch is a long road to get over..).

Thanks!

quoll Oct 4th 2021 10:40 pm

Re: Young family member (UK) to AU - options

Unlikely that they will be able to stay in the long term without career skills and experience. Whilst I appreciate that wanting to "escape" where you live may sound appealing it's not a very sensible long term pragmatic approach. They can have a WHV for a couple of years (or is it now 3?) providing they do regional work but then they GO HOME! Far better to be talking to them about what their long term career aspirations are and helping them achieve that in UK (much cheaper), knuckle down now and get over the covid blues, get qualifications and skills then start thinking about it. Australia isnt going anywhere and, at the moment, we are in a more draconian lock down phase than UK so beats me how anyone would actually want to come here to be constrained at the moment, even if the gates were open for tourists at the moment (which they are not). By the time they have finished training, Australia might be open again.

Paul Hand Oct 5th 2021 11:00 am

Re: Young family member (UK) to AU - options

Originally Posted by AJRussell (Post 13058381)
Hey,

I have young family member in the UK (19) who wishes to 'escape' the UK - we (Citizens) are planning to fly them over on a e-visitor for the first 3 months whilst they decide what they want to do next steps. I have some understandings that we can renew the evisitor for them every 3 months (if out the country) - or Tourist Stream (12 months?). We plan to support them, as well as they will receive support from parents in the UK (good standings). I am aware they cannot work on a evisitor, but can volunteer (there passion).

I appreciate we can eventually get them on a working visa, which can be extended to 3 years based on meeting certain criteria. But we know ultimately they likely wish to settle here. Is there anyway we can sponsor them to stay or get them on a PR? They have struggled with Covid/university and wants to start again. Has no criminal record, and should meet any health requirements.

I am trying to understand the types of conversations I can have with them over the next few months as we begin to explore. I appreciate they might get here and be home sick after 3 months (the two year itch is a long road to get over..).

Thanks!

3 years on a Working Holiday Visa (WHV) is achievable if the required amount of 'specified work' is undertaken. This requirement may ease, if and when a trade deal is actually signed rather than just agreed in principle. A skilled visa requires them to have skills and experience, which they would struggle to gain in Australia on a WHV. There is a family sponsored stream to the skilled programme, but this still requires the applicant to be skilled in the appropriate occupation (and score highly on the points test). Maybe 3 years on a WHV allows them to find the ideal Australian partner :-).

There are no easy routes, unfortunately. Also, exercise care in terms of 'volunteering' as the definition of work vs volunteering is not as clear cut as it may sound.