Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Are you a Plumber wanting to move to Australia? Read me for advice!

Are you a Plumber wanting to move to Australia? Read me for advice!

Old Apr 5th 2018, 10:34 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are you a Plumber wanting to move to Australia? Read me for advice!

Originally Posted by Laurenhms
Hi, thanks for writing this, it's brilliant! I know this is an old post but wondered if anyone had any info or advice? (Should manybe just start a new post? - I'm new to this site).

Anyway, my partner has a property maintenance business - started in 2013. He started just himself cleaning carpets but has expanded the business and now provides contractors, mainly for letting agents - plumbers, electricians, joiners etc as well as doing some domestic work and pre sale makeovers etc. He has been working alongside the plumber for a while now, performing some minor plumbing work himself and wants to gain plumbing qualifications through a trades school (we've done some homework and found a reputable one). So the question is - if he did the relevant qualifications and got his CSCS card, along with another 3 years work experience, would this be enough to apply for a skilled visa visa (instead of doing a 4 year apprenticeship or however long it is - that's not an option for his given his age - 36 and running a business).

Any advice / info appreciated. Many thanks.
Being able to pass the skills assessment is only part of the process - you also need to consider being able to pass the points test for a visa. A newly qualified 39 / 40 year old plumber will find this extremely difficult. At 39 you would have 25 points for age, a further 10 points for a trade qualification and no experience points. At 40, this gets worse and age points drop to 15.

Check out Vetassess website (https://www.vetassess.com.au/skills-...-for-migration) for requirements to pass a skills assessment, and the home affairs website (https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/visa-1/189-) for visa info.

Do you have a skill on the occupations list at all?
Old Apr 6th 2018, 5:14 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Will just add that a qualification that can be obtained quickly, probably won't satisfy the skills assessment. For example, many trade qualifications in the UK are now NVQ2 or an equivalent. These are not suitable for a skills assessment as Australia only accepts a minimum of NVQ3
Old Apr 8th 2018, 10:59 am
Just Joined

spikes15 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys need abit of advice with regards to working as a plumber /gas fitter in perth i have been working as a plumber the uk for the last 13 years and am qualified in gas for the last 7 years i understand that i should be able to get a skilled visa through those routes but i don't have plumbing qualifications and will i struggle to get work in perth or is it worth getting my nvq 2 over here, will that help at all or do i have to suck it up and realise ill have to do a few years tafe when im over there any help will be appreciated thanks
Old Apr 8th 2018, 12:54 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spikes15
Hi guys need abit of advice with regards to working as a plumber /gas fitter in perth i have been working as a plumber the uk for the last 13 years and am qualified in gas for the last 7 years i understand that i should be able to get a skilled visa through those routes but i don't have plumbing qualifications and will i struggle to get work in perth or is it worth getting my nvq 2 over here, will that help at all or do i have to suck it up and realise ill have to do a few years tafe when im over there any help will be appreciated thanks
Your first step would be to look at what is needed for a successful skills assessment. Vetassess have a lot of information on their site, although they are not the only people to do the assessment. The Down Under Centre in London do assessments in conjunction with Future Skills I think, and it may be worth you having a chat with their guys for advice on whether or not you have the necessary qualifications for the assessment.
Old May 31st 2018, 12:55 am
Just Joined

amildner75 is an unknown quantity at this point

Love all the info, Really helpfull.
Im a plumber from Sweden, in Melbourne at the moment , just finished the practicall skills assessment exam. The next step for me is to find an emloyer WHO is willing to sponsor me. Any advice? Me and my family are trying to move , hopefully to Brisbane but we are open for anything really. Just to get us in to Australia. I will be in Aus until 18th of June looking for work.

So! Does anyone know or heard of any firm that is willing to sponsor overseas workers?
Old May 31st 2018, 4:54 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amildner75
Love all the info, Really helpfull.
Im a plumber from Sweden, in Melbourne at the moment , just finished the practicall skills assessment exam. The next step for me is to find an emloyer WHO is willing to sponsor me. Any advice? Me and my family are trying to move , hopefully to Brisbane but we are open for anything really. Just to get us in to Australia. I will be in Aus until 18th of June looking for work.

So! Does anyone know or heard of any firm that is willing to sponsor overseas workers?
Are you aware that sponsored visas are normally only temporary and come with a LOT of issues. Have you looked at skilled migration such as a 189 visa
Old May 31st 2018, 11:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by verystormy

Are you aware that sponsored visas are normally only temporary and come with a LOT of issues. Have you looked at skilled migration such as a 189 visa
Yes I know, I’m going for the 186 permanent resident Visa. The only thing missing is a sponsor.
Old Jun 1st 2018, 5:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by amildner75

Yes I know, I’m going for the 186 permanent resident Visa. The only thing missing is a sponsor.
You don't get to chose. Generally employers offer a TSS which is temporary. There are reasons for this including processing times and costs.
Old Jun 1st 2018, 10:04 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by verystormy

You don't get to chose. Generally employers offer a TSS which is temporary. There are reasons for this including processing times and costs.
According to my migration agent In my case I can only apply fore 186/ 187 or 489 but then I have to improve my Ielts points and that’s hard for me.
Old Jul 12th 2018, 11:07 am
Just Joined

LuLu2018 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Everyone

I am new to the forum. I've been reading the initial post from Lisa and it's brilliant, and the thread is very informative for me as I have been tryng to get my head around obtaining a plumbers licence for my husband. I have already got 189 visa where I am the main applicant so my husband (who is a Plumber by trade) has a visa already and doesn't need to do skills assessment for the visa but it sounds like he needs it in order to get his plumbers licence. We plan to go to Perth WA and if possible do as much as we can in relation to the licence before we arrive.

The problem we have is that hubby hasn't been working as a plumber for a few years now and looking at the requirements VETASSESS have he needs to have 5 years recent experience, he does have the NVQ qualification and the experience but as it's not within the last 3 years I don't think he will get a positive result. He has always been in full time employment but moved away from the plumbing trade due to lack of work during the downturn and he is keen to get back to plumbing when we arrive in Perth.

Can anybody tell me is there any other way a plumbing licence can be obtained in WA without a skills assessment or is it a case he will have to start from scratch when we get there?

We were in Perth in 2013 on a WHV and during this time hubby was able to get work as a plumber without a plumbing licence, this was fine on a short term basis but I don't know if employer's would be interested long term unless he has the licence or at least a provisional and is working towards getting his licence, if anybody could give any insight into this and also the job market in Perth currently that would be great.

Thanks
Old Jul 12th 2018, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by LuLu2018
Hi Everyone

I am new to the forum. I've been reading the initial post from Lisa and it's brilliant, and the thread is very informative for me as I have been tryng to get my head around obtaining a plumbers licence for my husband. I have already got 189 visa where I am the main applicant so my husband (who is a Plumber by trade) has a visa already and doesn't need to do skills assessment for the visa but it sounds like he needs it in order to get his plumbers licence. We plan to go to Perth WA and if possible do as much as we can in relation to the licence before we arrive.

The problem we have is that hubby hasn't been working as a plumber for a few years now and looking at the requirements VETASSESS have he needs to have 5 years recent experience, he does have the NVQ qualification and the experience but as it's not within the last 3 years I don't think he will get a positive result. He has always been in full time employment but moved away from the plumbing trade due to lack of work during the downturn and he is keen to get back to plumbing when we arrive in Perth.

Can anybody tell me is there any other way a plumbing licence can be obtained in WA without a skills assessment or is it a case he will have to start from scratch when we get there?

We were in Perth in 2013 on a WHV and during this time hubby was able to get work as a plumber without a plumbing licence, this was fine on a short term basis but I don't know if employer's would be interested long term unless he has the licence or at least a provisional and is working towards getting his licence, if anybody could give any insight into this and also the job market in Perth currently that would be great.

Thanks
He could possibly try an RPL route (RPL = Recognition of Prior Learning) - he would need to find an RTO to do this (RTO = Recognised Training Organisation).

Other alternative would be an adult apprenticeship.
Old Jul 12th 2018, 2:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
He could possibly try an RPL route (RPL = Recognition of Prior Learning) - he would need to find an RTO to do this (RTO = Recognised Training Organisation).

Other alternative would be an adult apprenticeship.
Thanks for the reply! I will look into that. Is the RPL something that he could get after we arrive in Perth or could we start the process now? I don't know anything about it sorry.

Thanks
Old Jul 12th 2018, 2:37 pm

Thanks for the reply! I will look into that. Is the RPL something that he could get after we arrive in Perth or could we start the process now? I don't know anything about it sorry.

Thanks
You could try the Down Under Centre in London to see if they can help, but I suspect you may have to wait until you are in Australia.

The other company I know who might be able to help is Skill Shortage Solutions.

(google should be able to find both these companies )
Old Jul 12th 2018, 2:51 pm
Just Joined

Great, thanks a million that's very helpful!
Old Jul 13th 2018, 1:10 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
https://www.tradesrecognitionaustral...grant-plumbers

See the details at this link.

See also the VETASSESS website for the trade skills assessment process.

Best regards.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.