Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Are you a Plumber wanting to move to Australia? Read me for advice!

Are you a Plumber wanting to move to Australia? Read me for advice!

Old Oct 28th 2017, 1:28 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are you a Plumber wanting to move to Australia? Read me for advice!

Originally Posted by Danireid1
Hi Lisa-93,

My boyfriend and I are currently trying to get through the visa process and on the skilled assessment. We're both from Scotland so he has the SVQ level 3 Plumbing and his gas tickets. Could I contact you for some help please? We're trying to match back what he did back in 2007 to the current Aus units and looks like a massive skill gaps(almost half!). Is this what you experienced?

Thanks
Dani
Please don't post empty posts to access the PM system. There is plenty of advice in this thread. There is also a plumbers section to the forum if further advice is needed on skills assessments.
Old Nov 16th 2017, 5:01 am
Just Joined

nuzil is an unknown quantity at this point

Does an apprenticeship count as work experience? (I assume no, but I thought I might aswell ask.)
Old Nov 16th 2017, 8:07 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nuzil
Does an apprenticeship count as work experience? (I assume no, but I thought I might aswell ask.)
If it's for claiming points, that would be no. If you did a 4 year apprenticeship, everything after that should be okay, but if in doubt, it is better to understate experience than over claim points and risk a refusal and ban.
Old Nov 16th 2017, 9:29 am

Richard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond repute

When claiming points, only skilled work in the last 10 years counts. 'Skilled work' is work that takes place after the award of a suitable trade qualification or work which comes after a minimum of three years full time paid employment (which can be on a supervised basis) and which counts as an informal 'training period'.

Regards,

Richard

Last edited by Richard_Gregan; Nov 16th 2017 at 9:31 am.
Old Nov 18th 2017, 11:49 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your answers. After I get my qualifications, could I get a temporary work visa, and then get PR after I get enough year or do I need to get my work experience in my country?

Would that work?
Old Nov 19th 2017, 4:19 pm
Just Joined

Shayno is an unknown quantity at this point

Great info.

I am interested in moving to Australia in 2 years time. I currently have NVQ 2 in Plumbing but am doing my NVQ 3 at college at the moment. I have only been in the trade for a year at the moment, but it will be 3 years (in 2 years time, when I want to go).

Will I be able to find employment easy enough under a working holiday visa until I am able to get sponsored?
I'm 28 now but I'll be 30 come then.
I work in installation rather than maintenance aswell, so there will be less jobs in this sector I presume.

Any advice or help would be much appreciated.
Old Nov 19th 2017, 6:45 pm
Just Joined

BMALIK is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Lisa. Your article was really helpful. I wonder if you could get some information about getting skilled visa as a hairdresser/ barber.
I got a friend who got around 9 years of experience as a self employed barber buy he didn't have any NvQs. Recently he gained Nvq 2 and 3 via fast track courses.
How good chances he has got to get visa .
Please help if you could.
Regards
BM

<snip>

Last edited by old.sparkles; Nov 20th 2017 at 2:12 am. Reason: removed partial quote of thread OP - not necessary or relevant
Old Nov 19th 2017, 9:39 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BMALIK
Hi Lisa. Your article was really helpful. I wonder if you could get some information about getting skilled visa as a hairdresser/ barber.
I got a friend who got around 9 years of experience as a self employed barber buy he didn't have any NvQs. Recently he gained Nvq 2 and 3 via fast track courses.
How good chances he has got to get visa .
Please help if you could.
Regards
BM

<<<snip>>>>
Getting a visa as a hairdresser is very different from migrating as a plumber. No offence to the OP but I really would advise you to check the DIBP website yourself, and/or speak to an agent.The OP is just a layperson like us, and while her info is great, the two occupations are very different.
Also, since she posted there have been many changes to skills lists and visas themselves. You need up to date info.
Old Nov 21st 2017, 1:57 pm

Richard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond repute

A fast track NVQ 3 awarded now would be of no real help. Providing they are a UK applicant, then the skills application will be based on employment experience and if successful the applicant will be awarded an AQF 3 in any case.

If they have 9 years' full time hairdressing experience, and they can prove all of this with employment reference statements and pay evidence, then they may have a chance, although DIBP won't count the first three years, so they will only ever score 10 points for employment.

There are many other factors too, so it's best to do your research thoroughly or seek the help of a professional migration agent.

Regards,

Richard
Old Nov 28th 2017, 7:17 pm
Just Joined

What are the requirements/Qualifications I would need for a Temporary visa?
Old Nov 28th 2017, 7:33 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nuzil
What are the requirements/Qualifications I would need for a Temporary visa?
It depends on which type of temporary visa, if your occupation's on the skilled occupations list for that visa type, your age, if there's a skills test required and if you could pass it, etc etc...... You need to do some research yourself first, and then come back to the forum with specific questions. Start by seeing what type of visa you might be eligible for here https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1

If there appears to be a visa that you might be able to apply for, you can research the eligibility requirements for that visa on the same government website.
Old Jan 5th 2018, 9:11 pm
Just Joined

Jeanette123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Lisa,

Thank you for all the advice.
I was wondering if you could us out -

My partner and I are wanting to go down the skilled migration route as he's a plumber. My partner has an NVQ level 2 (not level 3) in plumbing and has 3 years experience in the UK and 2 years experience in Australia.
Do you know if you need the NVQ level 3? Would VETASSESS accept a level 2 if you have gas knowledge?
We're living in Canada at the moment so considering doing a gas course here, but do you know if that would suffice?

Any advice would be great.
Thank you.
Old Jan 16th 2018, 9:26 pm
Just Joined

Owen87 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
Just read your article and found it very helpful. I just wanted to ask, when you moved to Australia with the temporary working visa, was this the 457 or a working holiday visa?
My partner and I are wanting to go to Australia for 2-4 years however I’ve already had a WHV so am looking at the 457 currently but am not sure how easy it will be to find sponsorship whilst in the UK.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Lee Owen
Old Jan 16th 2018, 9:42 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Owen87
Hi,
Just read your article and found it very helpful. I just wanted to ask, when you moved to Australia with the temporary working visa, was this the 457 or a working holiday visa?
My partner and I are wanting to go to Australia for 2-4 years however I’ve already had a WHV so am looking at the 457 currently but am not sure how easy it will be to find sponsorship whilst in the UK.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Lee Owen
Be aware that the 457 is being phased out in March and the rules for the new visa may not be the same. Sponsorship for a tradie is not easy to find, they have to prove no one here already can do the job.
you cannot move to Aus on a WHV, its for holidays and you should really expect to go home at the end. Working in a trade on a WHV is difficult because if the licensing, you can only do a limited time with one employer, and unless you go rural and do something like fruitpicking for three months, you can only spend 12 months here.

Might be best to talk to an agent.....
Old Jan 21st 2018, 9:55 am
Just Joined

Brianm93 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lisa-93
Hello all,

I figured it was time I made a post about a Plumbers journey from the UK to Australia, after struggling for three years to find the correct information when it comes down to licences, gap training, skills assessment and visa points etc. Hopefully this can help other tradies too, but I am speaking mostly from a Plumbers point of view.

What is our background?

My partner is 26 years old and has worked as a Plumber in the UK for almost ten years, having also spent three years as a Supervisor too. He has City and Guilds qualifications including Level 2, NVQ Level 2, Level 3 and NVQ Level 3 certificates. I am just

[U][Bp

This is a brilliant post, exactly the type of information ive been looking for! I’m a gas engineer from Scotland, looking to move out to Sydney in the next few years hopefully. I’ll be going down this exact route, maybe with a different path for the skills assessment but I’ll find out about that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.