yet another question about visa

Old Sep 18th 2007, 1:00 pm
Just Joined

che1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face yet another question about visa

yet another question from me, has anyone out there had to do the IELTS test and if so what was involved. (easy or hard)
Old Sep 18th 2007, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

deano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud of
Default Re: yet another question about visa

This thread is a good start http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=471166
Old Sep 18th 2007, 3:37 pm
Just Joined

thanks so much that has helped enormously was startin to panic
Old Sep 18th 2007, 5:19 pm
Account Closed

Up To Late is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I did the IELTS General test last week. I hope my comments can help.

First of all do the GENERAL test if you can. I got the practice booklet and CD (£10 from IELTS centre) and it had sample academic tests and they seemed much harder.

Secondly, get the practice booklet - it puts your mind at rest! You will know what to expect and will be more relaxed.

Thirdly, go and find the test centre beforehand. My tests were on 2 days in two different places. I had been to neither place before so I felt more confident having sussed out where they were and how long it took to get there.

The actual exam is in 4 parts;

Speaking - this is a quick 5 minute interview. I found it hard as I was trying to concentrate on my grammar etc, so probably sounded a bit stilted.

Listening - you are required to answer questions whilst a recording is played. The questions are easy but you only hear the recording once so you can't check your answers.

Reading - first you are asked to answer questions on a series of printed matter - adverts, brochures etc. This is really easy. The next section is a bit harder - you have to put titles to paragraphs of an article. The titles are pretty nondescript and I was itching to write some better ones!!

Writing - you have to write a letter in 20 minutes and an essay in 40 mins. Pretty straightforward. My tip is to write in pencil as you can make alterations easily.

I get my results on the 24th - so I'll keep you updated. I have another test booked just in case I don't get 4X7!!

Good luck in your test!
Old Sep 18th 2007, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

KerryRyan will become famous soon enoughKerryRyan will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Gotooz1

First of all do the GENERAL test if you can. I got the practice booklet and CD (£10 from IELTS centre) and it had sample academic tests and they seemed much harder.

Secondly, get the practice booklet - it puts your mind at rest! You will know what to expect and will be more relaxed.

Thirdly, go and find the test centre beforehand. My tests were on 2 days in two different places. I had been to neither place before so I felt more confident having sussed out where they were and how long it took to get there.

Speaking - this is a quick 5 minute interview. I found it hard as I was trying to concentrate on my grammar etc, so probably sounded a bit stilted.

Listening - you are required to answer questions whilst a recording is played. The questions are easy but you only hear the recording once so you can't check your answers.

Reading - first you are asked to answer questions on a series of printed matter - adverts, brochures etc. This is really easy. The next section is a bit harder - you have to put titles to paragraphs of an article. The titles are pretty nondescript and I was itching to write some better ones!!

Writing - you have to write a letter in 20 minutes and an essay in 40 mins. Pretty straightforward. My tip is to write in pencil as you can make alterations easily.

I get my results on the 24th - so I'll keep you updated. I have another test booked just in case I don't get 4X7!!

Good luck in your test!
Fingers crossed for you
Old Sep 18th 2007, 8:33 pm
Just Joined

Good luck in your test!
thanks that has lifted a great weight off my shoulders. hope your results are what you need. OH takes the test hopefully 20 october so plenty of time to get practising( I hope)

take care joanne
Old Sep 18th 2007, 10:11 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by che1
thanks that has lifted a great weight off my shoulders. hope your results are what you need. OH takes the test hopefully 20 october so plenty of time to get practising( I hope)

take care joanne

Thanks! I'll post on BE when they arrive. Or maybe not if they're not what I need.

My second test is booked for the 20th Oct too - in Cardiff - where's your OH taking his test?
Old Sep 19th 2007, 7:10 am
Just Joined

Thanks! I'll post on BE when they arrive. Or maybe not if they're not what I need.

My second test is booked for the 20th Oct too - in Cardiff - where's your OH taking his test?

He is taking his test at sheffield hallam uni as that is the closest one to us. Good idea in booking a second just in case think i might do the same for OH. Do you have to submit another £100? Sods law to pass if so just to waste a little more off our emigration fund

anyway good luck and keep us posted

Joanne
Old Sep 19th 2007, 9:36 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by che1
He is taking his test at sheffield hallam uni as that is the closest one to us. Good idea in booking a second just in case think i might do the same for OH. Do you have to submit another £100? Sods law to pass if so just to waste a little more off our emigration fund

anyway good luck and keep us posted

Joanne
Yes, you pay twice, but if you cancel more than 5 weeks ahead you get a full refund. If you cancel after that you get £60 refund - so not too bad!

Good luck to your OH! I'm sure he will be fine.