British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   yet another question about visa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/yet-another-question-about-visa-481932/)

che1 Sep 18th 2007 1:00 pm

yet another question about visa

yet another question from me, has anyone out there had to do the IELTS test and if so what was involved. (easy or hard):confused:

deano66 Sep 18th 2007 2:31 pm

Re: yet another question about visa

This thread is a good start http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=471166

che1 Sep 18th 2007 3:37 pm

thanks so much that has helped enormously was startin to panic :)

Up To Late Sep 18th 2007 5:19 pm

Hi, I did the IELTS General test last week. I hope my comments can help.

First of all do the GENERAL test if you can. I got the practice booklet and CD (£10 from IELTS centre) and it had sample academic tests and they seemed much harder.

Secondly, get the practice booklet - it puts your mind at rest! You will know what to expect and will be more relaxed.

Thirdly, go and find the test centre beforehand. My tests were on 2 days in two different places. I had been to neither place before so I felt more confident having sussed out where they were and how long it took to get there.

The actual exam is in 4 parts;

Speaking - this is a quick 5 minute interview. I found it hard as I was trying to concentrate on my grammar etc, so probably sounded a bit stilted.

Listening - you are required to answer questions whilst a recording is played. The questions are easy but you only hear the recording once so you can't check your answers.

Reading - first you are asked to answer questions on a series of printed matter - adverts, brochures etc. This is really easy. The next section is a bit harder - you have to put titles to paragraphs of an article. The titles are pretty nondescript and I was itching to write some better ones!!

Writing - you have to write a letter in 20 minutes and an essay in 40 mins. Pretty straightforward. My tip is to write in pencil as you can make alterations easily.

I get my results on the 24th - so I'll keep you updated. I have another test booked just in case I don't get 4X7!!:eek:

Good luck in your test!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

KerryRyan Sep 18th 2007 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by Gotooz1 (Post 5326524)

First of all do the GENERAL test if you can. I got the practice booklet and CD (£10 from IELTS centre) and it had sample academic tests and they seemed much harder.

Secondly, get the practice booklet - it puts your mind at rest! You will know what to expect and will be more relaxed.

Thirdly, go and find the test centre beforehand. My tests were on 2 days in two different places. I had been to neither place before so I felt more confident having sussed out where they were and how long it took to get there.

Speaking - this is a quick 5 minute interview. I found it hard as I was trying to concentrate on my grammar etc, so probably sounded a bit stilted.

Listening - you are required to answer questions whilst a recording is played. The questions are easy but you only hear the recording once so you can't check your answers.

Reading - first you are asked to answer questions on a series of printed matter - adverts, brochures etc. This is really easy. The next section is a bit harder - you have to put titles to paragraphs of an article. The titles are pretty nondescript and I was itching to write some better ones!!

Writing - you have to write a letter in 20 minutes and an essay in 40 mins. Pretty straightforward. My tip is to write in pencil as you can make alterations easily.

I get my results on the 24th - so I'll keep you updated. I have another test booked just in case I don't get 4X7!!:eek:

Fingers crossed for you

che1 Sep 18th 2007 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by Gotooz1 (Post 5326524)

thanks that has lifted a great weight off my shoulders. hope your results are what you need. OH takes the test hopefully 20 october so plenty of time to get practising( I hope)

take care joanne

Up To Late Sep 18th 2007 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by che1 (Post 5327226)
thanks that has lifted a great weight off my shoulders. hope your results are what you need. OH takes the test hopefully 20 october so plenty of time to get practising( I hope)

take care joanne

Thanks! I'll post on BE when they arrive. Or maybe not if they're not what I need. :ohmy:

My second test is booked for the 20th Oct too - in Cardiff - where's your OH taking his test?

che1 Sep 19th 2007 7:10 am

Originally Posted by Gotooz1 (Post 5327508)
Thanks! I'll post on BE when they arrive. Or maybe not if they're not what I need. :ohmy:

My second test is booked for the 20th Oct too - in Cardiff - where's your OH taking his test?

He is taking his test at sheffield hallam uni as that is the closest one to us. Good idea in booking a second just in case think i might do the same for OH:thumbup:. Do you have to submit another £100? Sods law to pass if so just to waste a little more off our emigration fund

anyway good luck and keep us posted

Joanne :thumbsup:

Up To Late Sep 19th 2007 9:36 am

Originally Posted by che1 (Post 5328369)
He is taking his test at sheffield hallam uni as that is the closest one to us. Good idea in booking a second just in case think i might do the same for OH:thumbup:. Do you have to submit another £100? Sods law to pass if so just to waste a little more off our emigration fund

anyway good luck and keep us posted

Joanne :thumbsup:

Yes, you pay twice, but if you cancel more than 5 weeks ahead you get a full refund. If you cancel after that you get £60 refund - so not too bad!

Good luck to your OH!:thumbsup: I'm sure he will be fine.:D