Working Visa vs PR

Old Aug 23rd 2002, 7:00 pm
We arrived november 2004

kentcoast is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working Visa vs PR

Had an interesting phone conversation today.....

Our plans are in early days - family commitments will keep us here until 2004 (might be a 'senior' member by then <G>) but we're doing the research, setting things in motion clearing the attic through ebay etc.

Anyway, I had a chat, just informal with an employment agency and after offering a couple of jobs they were pushing the idea of going out on a working visa then going for PR out there.

They said that this was much easier, much faster and that the foot in the door approach was not to be underestimated.

Of course..... There is the small item of their commision possibly clouding their judgement.

What does the team think?

Perry
Old Aug 23rd 2002, 9:29 pm
Jaj

Default Re: Working Visa vs PR

It's possible to do. They may have been talking about Employer Nomination PR, but
the requirements for this are a lot stricter than for a work permit and not every
work permit holder will qualify.

General Skilled is no faster if you are in Australia when you apply. The only two
advantages you have if working in Australia are:
- if you have an MODL occupation you get 10 extra points (rather than
5) for having a job offer in Australia
- working for 6 months in Australia in a skilled occupation (MODL or not) normally
gives you 5 extra points.

The downside is that if you go to Australia on a work permit and PR doesn't work out,
you've got to come home eventually.

Jeremy

>On Fri, 23 Aug 2002 19:00:16 +0000, kentcoast <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Had an interesting phone conversation today.....
    >Our plans are in early days - family commitments will keep us here until 2004 (might
    >be a 'senior' member by then ) but we're doing the research, setting things in
    >motion clearing the attic through ebay etc.
    >Anyway, I had a chat, just informal with an employment agency and after offering a
    >couple of jobs they were pushing the idea of going out on a working visa then going
    >for PR out there.
    >They said that this was much easier, much faster and that the foot in the door
    >approach was not to be underestimated.
    >Of course..... There is the small item of their commision possibly clouding their
    >judgement.
    >What does the team think?
    >Perry
    >--
    >PSW
    >Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Aug 24th 2002, 10:00 am
We arrived november 2004

kentcoast is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Working Visa vs PR

The downside is that if you go to Australia on a work permit and PR doesn't work out,
you've got to come home eventually.

Thanks, as time is on my side I think I'll stick with the PR

Perry