British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Working as a paramedic on a working holiday Visa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/working-paramedic-working-holiday-visa-926853/)

Ads_444 Aug 1st 2019 4:42 pm

Working as a paramedic on a working holiday Visa

Hi All,

My application for a working holiday visa has been accepted and i leave for Australia in November 2019. However, i am really struggling to find information on working as a paramedic with this type of visa.

My plan is to apply for permanent residency when i have settled in Australia and work as a paramedic from there.

Please could anyone point me in the right direction of what i need to obtain to work as a paramedic, before i leave in November 2019

thank you

ads_444

Pollyana Aug 1st 2019 9:42 pm

Re: Working as a paramedic on a working holiday Visa

Originally Posted by Ads_444 (Post 12717703)
Hi All,

My application for a working holiday visa has been accepted and i leave for Australia in November 2019. However, i am really struggling to find information on working as a paramedic with this type of visa.

My plan is to apply for permanent residency when i have settled in Australia and work as a paramedic from there.

Please could anyone point me in the right direction of what i need to obtain to work as a paramedic, before i leave in November 2019

thank you

ads_444

A lot of it will depend on which State you are heading for as the rules vary between them.

First thing to do though is to check that Paramedic is currently on a skills list. No State is currently sponsoring as there are plenty of candidates not needing sponsorship, so yu need t make sure you qulify for a 189 first.

The only State I have personal knowledge of is Queensland, where you would need to apply to Queensland Ambulance Service (QAS), so if you are heading this way I would contact them directly

Paul Hand Aug 2nd 2019 6:42 am

You can do any form of work on a WHV as long as you comply with the 6 months/1 employer rule. Whether you are qualified to perform this work in Australia is a different matter. Did you declare that you intended to work in health care as they would generally have asked you to undertake health exams before granting the visa?

Ads_444 Aug 2nd 2019 8:01 am

Originally Posted by Paul Hand (Post 12717900)
You can do any form of work on a WHV as long as you comply with the 6 months/1 employer rule. Whether you are qualified to perform this work in Australia is a different matter. Did you declare that you intended to work in health care as they would generally have asked you to undertake health exams before granting the visa?

Hi Paul,

i did declare that I would be working within health care and I completed the Necessary health checks. I was upon reading that some of the ambulance services required citizenship before being able to work for them and I was unsure whether my visa gave me temporary rights. Thank you for wh clarification I really appreciate it. I have also looked on the skills list and intensive care paramedic is currently on a shortage list along with ambulance officer on a separate skills list so I may apply for my permanent Residency through one of those options.

Thank you once again

Ads_444 Aug 2nd 2019 8:10 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 12717815)
A lot of it will depend on which State you are heading for as the rules vary between them.

First thing to do though is to check that Paramedic is currently on a skills list. No State is currently sponsoring as there are plenty of candidates not needing sponsorship, so yu need t make sure you qulify for a 189 first.

The only State I have personal knowledge of is Queensland, where you would need to apply to Queensland Ambulance Service (QAS), so if you are heading this way I would contact them directly

Hey Pollyanna

Thank
you so much for your reply, I have ahead a look on the skills list and Ambulance Officer is on the required professions. Upon research this title is the equivalent to paramedic and therefore I should be eligible to apply for a PR visa.

thank you

spouse of scouse Aug 2nd 2019 8:48 am

Originally Posted by Ads_444 (Post 12717920)

Hi Paul,
I was upon reading that some of the ambulance services required citizenship before being able to work for them and I was unsure whether my visa gave me temporary rights. Thank you for wh clarification I really appreciate it.

You're corrects Ads, some State's ambulance services do require applicants to be either citizens or permanent residents - a 417 working holiday visa is a temporary visa so while you're on this visa you would not be able to work as a paramedic for ambulance services in those States. I only had a quick look but New South Wales and Victoria are two States that have those requirements.

Ads_444 Aug 2nd 2019 8:52 am

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12717932)
You're corrects Ads, some State's ambulance services do require applicants to be either citizens or permanent residents - a 417 working holiday visa is a temporary visa so while you're on this visa you would not be able to work as a paramedic for ambulance services in those States. I only had a quick look but New South Wales and Victoria are two States that have those requirements.

Thank you for your reply I’m going to do some more research today as see whether it best for me to apply for permanent residency before I leave in November so as to get the ball rolling.

Pollyana Aug 2nd 2019 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by Ads_444 (Post 12717933)

Thank you for your reply I’m going to do some more research today as see whether it best for me to apply for permanent residency before I leave in November so as to get the ball rolling.

Info for Queensland is here
https://www.ambulance.qld.gov.au/rec-paramedic.html