Working Holiday Visa vs. Partnership

Old Nov 16th 2016, 8:38 pm
Just Joined

oliver27 is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow Working Holiday Visa vs. Partnership

Hi,

I've got another recent thread about a partnership visa. But myself and partner have been thinking about this recently, and are considering a different option. My two options:

- Save and apply for a partnership visa, apply in the UK. Move to Australia once granted. Circa. £4.5k lighter. Does mean I have full working rights when I move though, which is the whole reason I chose this route in the first place.
- Go on a working holiday visa, see whether I like it, and then either get sponsorship (obviously the best option) or just apply for the partnership visa whilst there, probably with a bridging visa.

I work in digital marketing, and have read online that there is currently a shortage as such (although not an 'official' SOL shortage!).

I'm gong to ring some Australian recruiters and get a feel for the market, but wanted your opinion on this holiday working visa option.

What I don't want to do is really struggle for work because of the 6 month limit condition with the working-visa, or get a bad job that doesn't pay what I'm used to, and basically have a bad time (and probably want to move back to the UK).

But on the other side, if I can get an ok job in Melbourne, then it saves me a lot of money, and also even if I don't like living there I haven't spent a lot of money on a partnership visa. There's also the possibility of sponsorship.

What are your thoughts?
Old Nov 17th 2016, 4:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working Holiday Visa vs. Partnership

Pros and cons to both approaches. As I see it the main advantage to the WHV is that it lets you try things out before committing and incurring that large partner visa fee. My only question would be is your partner comfortable with this one year trial period?

On the other hand the WHV will undoubtedly limit your job prospects, in that you are ruled out for all the permanent roles, but you would get a shot at all the contract positions. Cannot comment on whether you might secure sponsorship, I am surprised you seem to take it as almost a given, but I do not know your field.

If you decide you would like to make this move permanent, then I believe you will have spent more money in going through the WHV and sponsorship route first. In fact you end up paying for three visas rather than the one. Firstly the small sum for the WHV, then you would normally pay your temporary visa application costs (most employers just pay their part) and then when you want a permanent visa you will either be paying for the partner visa anyway or if you get the employer to sponsor you, again they would not normally pay your part of the fee.

By the way, the job must be on the SOL or CSOL to be eligible for sponsorship. You would need to find some occupation that digital marketing slots into. There are some marketing rekated ones, I would recommend you read the descriptions and see if it reflects your occupation.

Last edited by Bermudashorts; Nov 17th 2016 at 4:24 am.