Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Working Holiday Visa funds/employment questions

Working Holiday Visa funds/employment questions

Old Oct 3rd 2010, 1:50 pm
Just Joined

neonlicht is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Working Holiday Visa funds/employment questions

Hi,

I shall be flying to Melbourne in November and will be staying on a WHV. I have only booked a one-way flight at the moment because I'll be ambling back via Asia, but funds for an onward flight are not an issue, but how do I demonstrate that to them? Credit Card? Bank Statements? What do they accept?

Also the Visa is electronic, can I ask for a stamp in my passport as evidence for any potential employers at the airport, or do I need to go somewhere else for that and a National Insurance number?

Thanks for reading and any help you can give me.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 4:00 pm
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Working Holiday Visa funds/employment questions

I think you'll be fine. It's quite common that many WHV's holiday in Asia after their Australia experience.

Also no you need to applyfor a Tax file number.
Old Oct 4th 2010, 7:34 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Have you already applied for the visa?
I am assuming they will e-mail you to say that the visa is granted, with your visa number etc on. You can then show that to employers, and use the visa number to apply for your tax file number.
Old Oct 4th 2010, 8:21 am
Just Joined

Thanks, looking into it, you can actually apply for a tax number online - http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/co...tent/38760.htm

The query on the funds still stands. I can print off my bank statements showing I have £x amount of money, will they accept that?

I'm in the process of setting up an account with Commonwealth, but I'm waiting for the exchange rate to pick up...
Old Oct 4th 2010, 3:11 pm
Just Joined

baileyjnr is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm in the same position neonlicht... heading to Sydney however, November. WHV received and confirmed, but from what I can see from various backpacking and travelling websites it all depends on the immigration officers mood on the day!

They expect you to prove you have minimum £2000 within an account of your name (savings, or current), such as a bank statement... however I was told by several travellers who backpacked around Asia for 5/6 months before entering Aus (who obviously didn't have bank statement to hand!) were able to show a credit card at the desk.

I think being direct from the UK, they should be more lenient... just have a bank statement for the last month to hand and I'm sure we'll be fine ;o)
Old Oct 4th 2010, 3:46 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neonlicht
Thanks, looking into it, you can actually apply for a tax number online - http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/co...tent/38760.htm

The query on the funds still stands. I can print off my bank statements showing I have £x amount of money, will they accept that?

I'm in the process of setting up an account with Commonwealth, but I'm waiting for the exchange rate to pick up...
You can get a Tax File Number online but not until you have travelled to Australia and validated your visa
Old Oct 4th 2010, 8:56 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Pollyanna

baileyjnr - Yes, I'd heard mixed reports and it is almost pot luck on who you get on the day at the immigration desk as to how strict they are.
Old Oct 5th 2010, 10:04 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

It has been a good 11 years since I came here on a WHV, but at that time you just had to show the funds when you applied for the visa, not when entering the country... Of course, those were the days before you could apply online!
Old Oct 5th 2010, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

LauraMunroBruce is an unknown quantity at this point

I maybe got lucky but when I arrived 2 years ago I handed over my passport, it was stamped and was told to enjoy my stay.
No proof of funds or return ticket.
L