Working on bridging visa

Old Apr 8th 2018, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working on bridging visa

Originally Posted by Dondons1uk
Thank you all very helpful

Re applying onshore we were told it could also be up to two years. We are in a tiny flat no lift 3 floors up with a baby and have to move as it’s not suitable. We considered relocating in uk whilst waiting but will be wasting thousands in rent.

We spoke to an immigration lawyer who suggested applying onshore.

Re working as a lawyer my qualifications are with the board now and a recruiter has suggested I can work as a special counsel or paralegal in the meantime for law firms or other related work.

It’s concerning that people may be put off by a bridging visa ..... thanks for your replies
In theory you can work as a paralegal, but, the reality of doing so on a bridging visa and without training in Australian law is another matter. While the two legal systems have similarities they are in practise completely different.
Old Apr 8th 2018, 8:48 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

We’ve been told differently. Do you have direct knowledge of this as we were told more like 18 months to two years here too!
Until recently that was true, however in the last 6 months or so offshore partner has got much faster and forums have many people reporting grants in 2-3 months.
Hi we were told by immigration lawyer just to get this in Australia too because of the length of time it’s taking here ....

We’d have to get him citizenship then the passport
If the child is Australian then he needs an Australian passport on which to enter the country, he can't hold a tourist visa.
Old Apr 8th 2018, 12:53 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Hi we were told by immigration lawyer just to get this in Australia too because of the length of time it’s taking here ....

We’d have to get him citizenship then the passport
It should take around the same time as the visa providing your application is all present and correct.

Thanks

We’ve been told differently. Do you have direct knowledge of this as we were told more like 18 months to two years here too!
No, that's incorrect. Even the lengthiest offshore waiting time was 12-15 months and that was a long time ago now. Case officers are currently processing applications more or less as soon as they are submitted. I would apply asap and frontload both your medicals and character along with the rest of your supporting documents straight away.
Old Apr 8th 2018, 2:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm confused. Doesn't a bridging visa extend your original visa rights? If the OP arrives on a Tourist Visa, they won't have any working rights will they?
Old Apr 8th 2018, 2:06 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
I'm confused. Doesn't a bridging visa extend your original visa rights? If the OP arrives on a Tourist Visa, they won't have any working rights will they?
Partner Visas are the exception. Once the Partner Visa has been applied for, and then the Bridging Visa kicks in, thats the one Bridging Visa which gives automatic full working rights.

Otherwise, yes you would be correct. When Bridging to any other visa the rights are the same as the original visa, so if bridging from a tourist visa, that means no work.
Old Apr 8th 2018, 2:44 pm
Just Joined

Dondons1uk is an unknown quantity at this point

You’re all being very kind and helpful and I wish I’d come across this forum ages ago!

Basically we are married have a son and live in an unsuitably small flat in city centre and have now sold said flat and likely to complete in next 8-12 weeks.

We have been told by migration registered lawyer in Australia that I can apply onshore as tourist visa had no restrictions, bridging visa kicks in at end of 3 month tourist stay and can take years to get spouse visa but I’ll be entitled to work. My original concern was whether employers would be “put off” by a bridging visa.

Having now seen off shores are quicker than their stated processing times (which is still 12-15 months) I’m tempted but there are big what ifs. What if it takes 6 months - where will we all
Live once flat is sold!!!!

Eeeek

I think I just read somewhere else I can apply off shore and then come to Australia as a tourist still as long as when they grant it (assume they give notice) I’m offshore again presumably I can just go to Fiji or something.

I assume I wouldn’t be able to work in this time?

If that’s right and it only takes 3-6 months that’s great! But what visa would I be on then? The tourist one? And presumably i would hVe to leave and re enter and that could cause problems.

Oh dear it’s getting complicated and I’m going off on tangents now.

Any thoughts?
Old Apr 8th 2018, 3:16 pm
Home and Happy

You’re all being very kind and helpful and I wish I’d come across this forum ages ago!

Basically we are married have a son and live in an unsuitably small flat in city centre and have now sold said flat and likely to complete in next 8-12 weeks.

We have been told by migration registered lawyer in Australia that I can apply onshore as tourist visa had no restrictions, bridging visa kicks in at end of 3 month tourist stay and can take years to get spouse visa but I’ll be entitled to work. My original concern was whether employers would be “put off” by a bridging visa.

Having now seen off shores are quicker than their stated processing times (which is still 12-15 months) I’m tempted but there are big what ifs. What if it takes 6 months - where will we all
Live once flat is sold!!!!

Eeeek

I think I just read somewhere else I can apply off shore and then come to Australia as a tourist still as long as when they grant it (assume they give notice) I’m offshore again presumably I can just go to Fiji or something.

I assume I wouldn’t be able to work in this time?

If that’s right and it only takes 3-6 months that’s great! But what visa would I be on then? The tourist one? And presumably i would hVe to leave and re enter and that could cause problems.

Oh dear it’s getting complicated and I’m going off on tangents now.

Any thoughts?
If you apply offshore at present I would be surprised if it takes 6 monts. Every one I've seen (not just on this forum) lately has been around the 3 months mark, Prospective Marriage Visas are the same.

You certainly can apply offshore, then travel to Aus on a tourist visa/visitor.

Just let your case officer know you are going over for a holiday while you wait for the grant. If the visa is not granted by the time your tourist visa is coming to an end then you need to leave, don't stay onshore without a visa. You might be able to just hop to Fiji or New Zealand, then back for another 3 months, lots of people do that but you need to be prepared that there is a slim chance they'll refuse you re-entry to Aus if they think you are trying to live here on tourist visas. Unlikely, but we always warn people just in case.

The most likely scenario is that you will get a notification that your Partner Visa is ready for grant, before the 3 months on the tourist visa are up, saying that you need to leave Aus, then re-enter after a few days, and your Partner Visa will take effect when you re-enter.

You are correct that you cannot work until the grant of the Partner Visa is you take this route.
Old Apr 8th 2018, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

To put it blunt.

Apply off shore.

Wait for grant which should be about 3 months.

Then move. Doing it in any other order throws unessesary complications. Also, all visas are currently under review and rules likely to change. This can be retrospective. The golden rule is if you qualify now. Apply now.

Your agent is a knob. There are good ones and great ones and a few crap ones. You have found the later and I would not trust him to look after a hamster for a weekend. Happy for you to refer him to the forum where I will take delight in pointing out he is a knob.
Old Apr 8th 2018, 4:24 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by verystormy
To put it blunt.

Apply off shore.

Wait for grant which should be about 3 months.

Then move. Doing it in any other order throws unessesary complications. Also, all visas are currently under review and rules likely to change. This can be retrospective. The golden rule is if you qualify now. Apply now.

Your agent is a knob. There are good ones and great ones and a few crap ones. You have found the later and I would not trust him to look after a hamster for a weekend. Happy for you to refer him to the forum where I will take delight in pointing out he is a knob.

Especially the bit about not letting the agent look after a hamster
Old Apr 8th 2018, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Partner Visas are the exception. Once the Partner Visa has been applied for, and then the Bridging Visa kicks in, thats the one Bridging Visa which gives automatic full working rights.

Otherwise, yes you would be correct. When Bridging to any other visa the rights are the same as the original visa, so if bridging from a tourist visa, that means no work.
Ah I see. Many thanks for that.
Old Apr 8th 2018, 10:07 pm
Just Joined

Y’all have kicked e up the butt which I needed. Seeing a proper solicitor tomorrow and making the onshore application. Thank you!

You know when something doesn’t feel right......
Old Apr 8th 2018, 10:26 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Y’all have kicked e up the butt which I needed. Seeing a proper solicitor tomorrow and making the onshore application. Thank you!

Old Apr 9th 2018, 4:37 am
Home and Happy

Make sure that the 'proper solicitor' is also a MARA registered migration agent....
Old Apr 9th 2018, 12:32 pm
Just Joined

Right I spoke to MARA registered agents today who are a branch off a very reputable firm I know in London.

The advice I was given about applying on shore is valid and fine.

He said he would have said apply offshore a few weeks ago as they were going through quick BUT there was a meeting at High commission today and they’ve been told from now on will be in line with stated publishing times for various reasons.

So now given we’ve got a deadline to go he wouldn’t suggest it.
Old Apr 9th 2018, 1:49 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Right I spoke to MARA registered agents today who are a branch off a very reputable firm I know in London.

The advice I was given about applying on shore is valid and fine.

He said he would have said apply offshore a few weeks ago as they were going through quick BUT there was a meeting at High commission today and they’ve been told from now on will be in line with stated publishing times for various reasons.

So now given we’ve got a deadline to go he wouldn’t suggest it.
Would be interesting to hear from other reputable agents who regularly post on BE, as they would have access to the same information as yours. I wonder what the 'various reasons' are?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.