Working in Australia as a Nursery Nurse

Old Oct 20th 2008, 9:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

stumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nice
Default Re: Working in Australia as a Nursery Nurse

Originally Posted by nicola123
Hi Becky

we are looking at March I think as we have to sell the house, would like to have gone January but no chance unless we get a quick sale. Hopefully we can move over middle of Feb and then start March time. We are going to the gold coast and I am looking a pacific pines area as the high sichool seems to be quite good there for my two eldest.

Won't let me pm just yet as I only joined this forum today
Nicola

Hi again!

We are looking at hopefully going May time, but again depends on house sale! everything is resting on the house at the moment and my gran unfortunately who has cancer.

We also have been looking at Pacific Pines area although not really sure on schools yet! My 2 boys are 10 and 8 so not sure what school years they'll go into when we get there?

Where do you live now? Have you had the house on the market long?
Old Oct 21st 2008, 9:41 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nicola123
I am quite certain you are sponsored as a child care co-ordinator as the diploma course qualifies you for this
The child care course does NOT qualify you to be a child care co-ordinator, only a degree or the 5 years work experiance does that. This course qualifies you to be a child care worker as seen on this website:

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/[email protected]?opendocument

And everything I said above about having to be sponsored and regional bla bla bla applies.

Feel free to e-mail TRA who are the assessing body, I did when was told by This is Australia that I could train to be a child care coordinator. Other agents also told me no you couldn't, but this is Australia assured me they were wrong, so I checked with the people who would have the final say.
I told them the exact course and they told me NO.

This is Australia never took the time to question this for me (or even reply to me after I told them what TRA said) but obviously they now mention being sponsored which they never did before.

Sorry if I sound off about them (this is australia), but I have met someone here in Adelaide doing the exact course they were trying to tell me I could do who is now left with a qualification which won't get her PR on her own. I would now be stuck in that possition too had I not done my homework.
I do not respect a company who gives out bad advice and then doesn't even take the time to answer e-mails. Just check what they tell you.
Old Oct 21st 2008, 6:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

stumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nice

Thanks Pumpkin Blossom.

Yes, I appreciate you were given wrong information when you were looking into the study visa options.

I, however, am aware that this course doesn't qualify me/us to be a childcare co-ordinator. I am going to partake in 6mths study only and then go on to be sponsored so for me it is well worth it.

I am aware that there is no way it can lead to PR status and am not going to do it to try and get it for PR.

My only other route was a 2yr study visa doing either Welfare or hairdressing. But I would then need to pay kids school fees etc etc

When I saw that this was maybe an option for me as I am already a qualified childcare worker I jumped at the chance!....... I have spoken to the agent several times who has assured me that several students since January have gained sponsorship directly through their placements.

I do understand your frustration with the agent, I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that our plans work out!
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 6:34 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, you seem to have it all worked out. It is Nicola I am panicking for as there is a big difference immigration wise between a child care coordinator and a child carer, and it is very easy to get confused, especially when you have an agent telling you what you WANT to hear, not how it actually is.
As I said, I have met someone here who is in that exact position, they THOUGHT it was good enough for a child care coordinator, and now are left in a very stressful situation. I just hate the thought of someone else being in that situation when there is no need.

Lots of people do these courses just to get PR, and if Nicola is one of these (she may very well not be) then this info would make a big difference if you end up hating that course and type of work. Also, if you plan to live somewhere like Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, or it looks like Adelaide then it also would not be an option. People should know all this before paying out all that money.