Working In Australia

Old Feb 15th 2012, 4:04 am
It's cos I'm Ginger isn't

GingerDom is a name known to allGingerDom is a name known to allGingerDom is a name known to allGingerDom is a name known to allGingerDom is a name known to allGingerDom is a name known to allGingerDom is a name known to allGingerDom is a name known to allGingerDom is a name known to allGingerDom is a name known to allGingerDom is a name known to all
Default Working In Australia

Hiya Everyone and thank you for taking the time to read this post and helping out.

Basically I am thinking of taking a career break from my current employment, and taking off to Perth to see my sister for a year or so. My sister says that she could get me a job out there to help support myself, and help pay my board but my enquiry is:
if I work in Australia, will it be shown back in the UK in terms of paying tax and the Inland Revenue bods??

Thank you once again

Dom
Old Feb 15th 2012, 4:10 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working In Australia

Originally Posted by GingerDom
Hiya Everyone and thank you for taking the time to read this post and helping out.

Basically I am thinking of taking a career break from my current employment, and taking off to Perth to see my sister for a year or so. My sister says that she could get me a job out there to help support myself, and help pay my board but my enquiry is:
if I work in Australia, will it be shown back in the UK in terms of paying tax and the Inland Revenue bods??

Thank you once again

Dom
You would need a visa first
Old Feb 15th 2012, 4:32 am

GingerDom is a name known to allGingerDom is a name known to allGingerDom is a name known to allGingerDom is a name known to allGingerDom is a name known to allGingerDom is a name known to allGingerDom is a name known to allGingerDom is a name known to allGingerDom is a name known to allGingerDom is a name known to allGingerDom is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Grayling
You would need a visa first

What if I were to get a student visa? I am allowed to work up to 20 hours a week under the conditions of a Student Visa.

I am sorry for the hap hazard way I do things, I just have many ideas flowing through my head
Old Feb 15th 2012, 4:52 am
chapkenv

chapkenv is just really nicechapkenv is just really nicechapkenv is just really nicechapkenv is just really nicechapkenv is just really nicechapkenv is just really nicechapkenv is just really nicechapkenv is just really nicechapkenv is just really nicechapkenv is just really nicechapkenv is just really nice
Lightbulb WHV Working In Australia

you could also go on a WHV (working holiday visa) which is fast process, has 1 year validity & the basic requirement for it is that you be under 30 years of age at the time of applying...

then while you are there in Perth, you could explore on further options - if your relatives say they can get you a job, ask them if the job-giver is willing to sponsor you on an ENS (employer nomination scheme) or a 457 -Temporary Business Stay Visa, then there's always the slower Student Visa!

Last edited by chapkenv; Feb 15th 2012 at 4:56 am.
Old Feb 15th 2012, 5:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you once again

Dom
To your question, you will pay tax in one country or the other but not both and the tax is about the same so really wouldn't worry about it.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 12:15 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

What if I were to get a student visa? I am allowed to work up to 20 hours a week under the conditions of a Student Visa.

I am sorry for the hap hazard way I do things, I just have many ideas flowing through my head
Can you afford a Student Visa? How old are you? If you're under 31 you can come out on a WHV for a year, get work in some particular jobs and get another year extension should you wish to stay longer.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 1:28 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

A Student Visa isn't for students who fancy a wander round Australia. It's for those who are coming to study in Australia and have a place on a course. Not a very cheap option to say the least.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 1:53 pm

Default Re: WHV Working In Australia

Originally Posted by chapkenv
you could also go on a WHV (working holiday visa) which is fast process, has 1 year validity & the basic requirement for it is that you be under 30 years of age at the time of applying...

then while you are there in Perth, you could explore on further options - if your relatives say they can get you a job, ask them if the job-giver is willing to sponsor you on an ENS (employer nomination scheme) or a 457 -Temporary Business Stay Visa, then there's always the slower Student Visa!
I am too old to qualify for the Working Visa Chap, otherwise that would have been perfick!!!
My plan is to get a Student Visa, do a course that wil benefit both me and the Australian SOL, and upon successful completion of said course, I will hopefully apply for a permanent Visa.

Yes the Student costs are quite large for a Mature International Student, but I think it is my best option if I want to realise my dream of living in Australia
Old Feb 16th 2012, 6:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I am too old to qualify for the Working Visa Chap, otherwise that would have been perfick!!!
My plan is to get a Student Visa, do a course that wil benefit both me and the Australian SOL, and upon successful completion of said course, I will hopefully apply for a permanent Visa.

Yes the Student costs are quite large for a Mature International Student, but I think it is my best option if I want to realise my dream of living in Australia
You didn't mention a permanent move at the beginning, you said a year or so.

The student visa to PR route has been very difficult for sometime now. Unless you have money to burn, I don't recommend trying it. I certainly would recommend researching it a lot more before embarking upon this path.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
You didn't mention a permanent move at the beginning, you said a year or so.

The student visa to PR route has been very difficult for sometime now. Unless you have money to burn, I don't recommend trying it. I certainly would recommend researching it a lot more before embarking upon this path.

How do you mean Bermuda? I have been told by Migration Agents and the Australian Immigration bods that Bricklayers and Blocklayers (the course I am doing) are in urgent need. Without getting ahead of myself, if I put together a convincing plea bargain and make potential employers want me and make them realise they can't do without me, surely it is worth a shot??

Old Feb 16th 2012, 6:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

How do you mean Bermuda? I have been told by Migration Agents and the Australian Immigration bods that Bricklayers and Blocklayers (the course I am doing) are in urgent need. Without getting ahead of myself, if I put together a convincing plea bargain and make potential employers want me and make them realise they can't do without me, surely it is worth a shot??

So what visa do you think you can apply for after taking a brick laying course? Why would employers be queuing up to sponsor someone just because they took a course.

To the question about whether it has to be worth a shot, my answer would be no. But then I am risk adverse and would not blow my life savings on this slim chance.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 7:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

mandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of light

We came over on a student visa November 2007. We had been told and expected to be residents in 2-2 n a half years. We have been VERY lucky to still be here, and still elidgible to have been able to apply for PR. We are still not on a PR visa over 4 years later and I don't expect to be for probably another 3 years +. If it is your only way n you really want to live here then by all means go for it. . But just be aware that after it all you may not get to stay. . Or if you are lucky like us. . . You will be on temporary or bridging visas hoping that things don't change again!

Cheers
Mandy
Old Feb 16th 2012, 8:36 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Its always worth a shot, but as the others are saying you need to remember that doing a course isn't a guarantee of PR in the end. One reason many people on here are cautious about the student visa idea is because a few years back you could be more certain of getting PR at the end, then overnight the rules were changed and many skills were removed from the SOL at the same time. So people who had spent years working towards a goal found themselves unable to stay at the end of their courses.
Some are still here on various bridging visas, trying desperately to find a route by which to get PR - mandyp is one such who is stuck and I believe Pumpkinblossom is another. Originally they would've had PR a long time ago, as it is they are living precariously on temporary visas. Not so bad for someone single like you but dreadful for a family.

Not trying to put you off, just want you to know a bit of background, and make you aware that DIAC can change the rules at any time
Old Feb 17th 2012, 6:28 pm

Thank you All for your advice and words of caution.

Trust me when I say, I am not taking anything for granted or expect anything other than to successfully comlete my course and have learned a new trade, and one, at the present time, is in high demand.

When I said about contacting Employers after the course, that was what I was told/advised to do by a fully qualified, fully licensed Migration Agent. I mean, it can't hurt, and i I am unsucessful, then I will simply return to the Uk, hopefully get a job in my new trade and get a years or so experienced behind me, and then try again for a Skills Visa thingymybob
Old Feb 17th 2012, 8:24 pm
ex-squaddie

derbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond repute

Hat's off to the ginger fella for giving it a go. He who tries nothing achieves nothing. Good luck to you mate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.