Working abroad while on PR

Old Aug 17th 2013, 3:05 am
Forum Regular

bobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud of
Default Working abroad while on PR

I have been in Australia now for almost seven years and I have not applied for citizen ship yet due to my UK passport still having 3 years still to run.

I have the opportunity to work abroad for two years so I will have to renew my PR.

My question is this, how long can I stay out of the country for on a Resident Return Visa.
Old Aug 17th 2013, 3:25 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working abroad while on PR

Originally Posted by bobbyfaescotland
I have been in Australia now for almost seven years and I have not applied for citizen ship yet due to my UK passport still having 3 years still to run.

I have the opportunity to work abroad for two years so I will have to renew my PR.

My question is this, how long can I stay out of the country for on a Resident Return Visa.
You should be eligible for a 5 year RRV,
You can apply for citizenship now though as you can hold both UK and Australian passports
Old Aug 17th 2013, 3:41 am
Forum Regular

bobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pollyana
You should be eligible for a 5 year RRV,
You can apply for citizenship now though as you can hold both UK and Australian passports
Thanks Pollyana,

Yes I know I can get another 5 year visa but can I stay out of the country for two years when I have it?

I don't want to go for citizenship just now because as soon as the family does, all the PR visa's expire and we would all have to get Oz passports if we left the country, which at the moment is far too expensive for our family of 4.

Thanks
Old Aug 17th 2013, 8:38 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I know I can get another 5 year visa but can I stay out of the country for two years when I have it?
If you get a 5 year RRV then you can stay outside Australia until the expiry date on it, just like on your current visa.

Be aware that if you do stay outside for 2 years then the clock for citizenship will reset, and after you return to Australia you will need a minimum of 3 years residency before you can apply - 3 years is based on no time being spent outside Australia from the time you return, and the year immediately prior to the return date can be taken as the 1 year allowable absence. Of course, rules could also change.
Old Aug 17th 2013, 8:45 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Pollyana,

I don't want to go for citizenship just now because as soon as the family does, all the PR visa's expire and we would all have to get Oz passports if we left the country, which at the moment is far too expensive for our family of 4.

Thanks
Is it more expensive than RRV visas for all of you?
Old Aug 17th 2013, 8:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Pollyana,

Thanks
Well actually your PR visas are all independent of each other and you don't all have to get citizenship jut because one does. Not that I am recommending that.

But I would highly recommend getting citizenship before taking a job overseas, very short termist to not do so because of cost. You might end up wanting to stay overseas for longer than you initially imagine or the rules might change whilst you are away making it more difficult to get citizenship in the future, it wasn't that long ago when the waiting time doubled.
Old Aug 17th 2013, 8:53 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Is it more expensive than RRV visas for all of you?
Forgot about that when I replied...lets look at the costs.

Citizenship: $260/adult (child under 16 on adults application is free)
Aus Passports: $238/adult, $119/child
RRV: $300/person (that includes each child).

For a family of 4, with both kids under 16 the total cost for all would be:
Citizenship: $520 + $714 = $1,234
RRV: $1,200

It's up to the OP, but with citizenship and passports costing only $34 more than the RRVs I know which way I would prefer! Unless the OP is intending on only himself being outside the country, and the family remains in Australia - then obtaining citizenship just for the OP would be a way to consider (and add kids under 16 to get them out of the way for free).

Last edited by roaringmouse; Aug 17th 2013 at 8:57 am.
Old Aug 18th 2013, 7:39 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

And with an RRV you may want to get a visa label for practical reasons, which is $70 per sticker.

The RRV is a short termist solution and doednt give the peace of mind of citizenship.