Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

IT workers who left the UK .. What were you on?

IT workers who left the UK .. What were you on?

Old Mar 3rd 2001, 6:17 am
Robert Nicholson

If you're one of the few IT workers I see in here who have decided to leave the UK. What
salary were you on when you left?

I'd like to know how much folks are forgoing in search of a better lifestyle. Having lived
in Australia for 16 years I can appreciate how the lifestyle differs from that of the UK.

I'm British and Australian and I'm currently in the US right now. The US economy has
stalled and I've never really enjoyed myself here except for being paid good money but
that's no longer the case and most of the companies are laying off folk and there's a glut
of IT people on the market. It's now a buyers market here and agencies are taking
advantage and the salaries and hourly rates are at an all time low.

So I have a choice. Either go to Australia/Melbourne and earn probably around 70k AUD or
London for 65k P starting.

My feeling is that there's more IT work in London/Europe to sustain my career further than
what's available in Melbourne. I don't like Sydney because I don't drive a car.

As a compromise I'm considering working on the continent as the work environment is
usually more relaxing and in general the lifestyle isn't as hectic as that in the UK. The
UK is still seen by me as a place only the rich can enjoy what it has to offer.

Old Mar 9th 2001, 8:44 am
Colin

Salary depends on skills as usual. Contracting is still quite strong although the
current tax position is quite unfavorable although there is a judicial review of tax
legislation pending in terms of European legislation. Still major skills shortages in
permanent type work.

Take a look here :

http://www.jobstats.co.uk/

Posts on this forum tend to suggest that the Aussie IT market is in a bit of a pickle at
present. Anyone further opinions?

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Mar 10th 2001, 11:57 am
Gary & Alison Myers

I was on about 30k quid (permie) when I left the UK three years back.

Converted into AUS$, at today's exchange rate (ie dollar in the dumps), I'm earning more
contracting here, but the tax regime and costs of living are very different.

I was living/working in the west of England, which hasn't got the pace of London, and I'm
in Sydney now.

Just come back from a two month holiday in the UK, and glad to be back here. Got in a
contract the week after I arrived, but I'd been working there before, so had application
knowledge and could get on with things quick.

I'm an Oracle analyst/programmer (occasional team leader).

>
    >
    >
legislation.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >