Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

work restrictions on 496 (3 year) provisional visa

work restrictions on 496 (3 year) provisional visa

Old Nov 24th 2006, 11:06 pm
Forum Regular

Dave P is on a distinguished road
Default work restrictions on 496 (3 year) provisional visa

Hi
I am about to apply for a 496 visa which is a provisional visa for 3 years. I hope to then apply for a Perm Visa. I have heard that some companies will not employ you unless you are a OZ citizen or Perm resident.

Is anybody else aware of this?

Cheers
Dave
Old Nov 24th 2006, 11:20 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: work restrictions on 496 (3 year) provisional visa

Originally Posted by Dave P
Hi
I am about to apply for a 496 visa which is a provisional visa for 3 years. I hope to then apply for a Perm Visa. I have heard that some companies will not employ you unless you are a OZ citizen or Perm resident.

It's true.

Although some companies really mean that they won't sponsor for a visa and will accept you once they know you have work rights (local DIMA office will confirm), other companies may not be interested if your status is only temporary.

This applies especially for long term, career orientated jobs. Less likely to be a problem for temporary/casual work.
Old Nov 24th 2006, 11:37 pm
Forum Regular

My concern is that with a 496 visa you need to work full time for 12 months in order to then apply for a Perm Visa. This could be very difficult to achieve if companies will not employ you because you have a provisional visa.

I will need to look into this more closely I think

Dave
Old Nov 25th 2006, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

Carlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to all

That's a good thought Dave and hadn't considered that view. We recently in October submitted our visa application under the same subclass 496, and we hoping to migrate although initially provisional to Melbourne later next year. We do hope that this doesn't cause any problems with employers, although if you stress that it's your intention to gain perm residency after the 3 yrs, then I believe most will not find this a problem if they recognise your skills.

Good luck in the meantime with your application..

Russell & Sarah
Old Nov 25th 2006, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular

I think you are probably right, that if you you stress that you intend to gain perm residency you will probably be ok. I raised the question in the first place, as I noticed that Australia Post, for instance, only recruit OZ citizens or perm residents, so it set alarm bells ringing.

Nice to hear from another 496 visa applicant. There don't seem to be that many of us.

Dave
Old Nov 25th 2006, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

Carlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to all

Cheers Dave, I haven't started to look at the job market, so I'm not really sure of the employment option, but we are just really excited, anxious and keen to move away from the Uk and have a new challenge, adventure for our family in Oz. Where did you find out about the Australian post, is there a web address.... If you get any probs completing the various application forms for the 496 please feel free to bounce any questions or ideas off us, and I'll try and help.

Russ
Old Nov 25th 2006, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

Russ
The website is http://www.auspost.com.au/jobsatpost/qld.htm.

I will hopefully be filling out the forms next weekend so may have a question or two.

Thanks for the offer
Dave
Old Nov 25th 2006, 1:18 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Places like Australia Post, govt depts etc often have rules in place that men you need a Perm visa (or even citizenship) to be employed by them. While on odd occasions they may make an exception if you have a specific rare skill, thats certainly the exception.
Asutralia Post wouldn't take me on as a permanent employee without PR, even though I explained I was on a temp visa, which led to PR after 2 years. Same with the Qld Govt, I lost out on numerous jobs because in spite of good references and the bosses backing me, the PR rule held.
Old Nov 25th 2006, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Places like Australia Post, govt depts etc often have rules in place that men you need a Perm visa (or even citizenship) to be employed by them. While on odd occasions they may make an exception if you have a specific rare skill, thats certainly the exception.
Asutralia Post wouldn't take me on as a permanent employee without PR, even though I explained I was on a temp visa, which led to PR after 2 years. Same with the Qld Govt, I lost out on numerous jobs because in spite of good references and the bosses backing me, the PR rule held.
This seems really tough, doesn't it. Particularly Govt depts, as it is a Govt Department that issues the Provisional Visa that states that you must work in full time employment for 12 months before applying for a Perm Visa.

I have been looking at current job vacancies with Gold Coast City council which I think I have the skills for. I have sent them an email asking about the Prov visa eligibility but as yet have had no reply.

Did you fing a job on a Prov visa in the end?

Dave
Old Nov 26th 2006, 1:16 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

This seems really tough, doesn't it. Particularly Govt depts, as it is a Govt Department that issues the Provisional Visa that states that you must work in full time employment for 12 months before applying for a Perm Visa.

I have been looking at current job vacancies with Gold Coast City council which I think I have the skills for. I have sent them an email asking about the Prov visa eligibility but as yet have had no reply.

Did you fing a job on a Prov visa in the end?

Dave
Yep, I've now worked for the Govt in Qld for two and a half years, going from one temp contract to the next. Now eligible for perm jobs, but there are none around in my chosen dept at the moment. After 15 years in one stable job in the UK, being happy in my work, I am finding the uncertainty of temp contracts very wearing

Last edited by Pollyana; Mar 6th 2007 at 7:38 am.
Old Mar 6th 2007, 2:18 am
Just Joined

agamand is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Cheers
Dave
hi there,
my family and i are planning to apply to subclass 496, too..
this issue worries me if we get to australia and job opportunities is slim for having a provisional visa..
do you have any update on this?
thank you very much and good day!
Old Mar 6th 2007, 7:39 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by agamand
hi there,
my family and i are planning to apply to subclass 496, too..
this issue worries me if we get to australia and job opportunities is slim for having a provisional visa..
do you have any update on this?
thank you very much and good day!
As already said its govt depts and places like that which generally want PR or citizenship. The vast majority of jobs are less worried about it being a provisional visa. What line of work would you be looking for?
Old Mar 7th 2007, 2:29 am
Just Joined

agamand is an unknown quantity at this point

As already said its govt depts and places like that which generally want PR or citizenship. The vast majority of jobs are less worried about it being a provisional visa. What line of work would you be looking for?
thanks for that quick reply, pollyana (",)
i would prefer to be in tv broadcasting field, though i've heard that skilled workers need to have the "local" experience (maybe to have any odd job) before you got to have the level of job or career you really want. i'm quite ready for that, we have 3-kids to support, and i know australia is the right destination for us.
also, do you have any idea how much annual educational per kid must be prepare if our destination is in melbourne?
moreover, what do DIMA meant on subclass 496 "..After living in a designated area of Australia for two (2) years and working full-time for at least 12 months in a designated area in the same state/territory as their sponsor, applicants can apply for a permanent visa." How about if I got non-continuos temporary job totalling 12-months, are we qualify to apply for PR visa? Is the job limited to the subclass 496 applicant only? How about the spouse? Sorry for that tons of questions..
Have a great day, thank you in advance (",)
Old Mar 7th 2007, 3:51 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

As already said its govt depts and places like that which generally want PR or citizenship.
It's also an issue for many companies hiring for long term, career orientated jobs (ie, the better jobs).