Wikiposts

work references

Old Jun 29th 2009, 1:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

shafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really nice
Default Re: work references

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
Sorry for jumping onto this thread with a question of my own, but I've been in my current teaching post for the past 5 years, next year being my 6th, the school I was @ previously, I was at for 3 years. Will DIAC require a reference from them also? Kind of ironic that I'm only thinking of this now as the academic year ends tomorrow here in Northern Ireland, OOPSIES.... Be curious to know if I do need this reference and I'll get working on gaining it ASAP....
do get it and submit to DIAC .
Old Jun 29th 2009, 4:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rodger_lawson is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nigel and marie
can anybody advice us on our situation we have applied for 175 visa but we are having problems with a work reference. from one of my employers i worked for this employer for 4years. i have asked the company if they would kindly do a letter stating my employment dates and duties. they have refused we are now in limbo we have rang the tax office asking them if they would send us proof of income that i worked there the only thing other then the tax proof is people that still work at this company please can any one advice please
I think, If you can get their refusal to give a reference in a written document or even if it is an e-mail, you can provide that along with your tax documents/bank statements etc. that along with a STAT DEC from one or two colleagues stating that you indeed worked there in the mentioned period would convince the CO.
Old Jun 29th 2009, 6:58 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gems
Jen,
I would get references from all your previous teaching jobs. As you may need them to get the right pay scale here.
Hubby was told (in WA) without them he would start at the bottom of the payscale
Not good if you have been teaching many years, was a right pain to get references from 12years ago.

Gems
Too late now, it'll have to wait til September...
Old Jun 29th 2009, 7:41 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ajay.Venk
Hi,

I have applied 176(VIC state) visa under computing professional 2231-79 (nec) on May, 2009. I worked in usa under H1B working visa as software consultant from January, 2008 to May, 2009. Totally I have 5 years experience in India and usa. After I applied for Australia I lost my job in usa, since its hard to find job in usa now, I came to india for a vacation on 2nd of June, 2009. Will this situation effect to my DIAC application under 176? Still no CO assigned. What I have to do when CO assigned? I have attached one pay stub from last employer and detailed reference letter. Do I have to find job in india and get refernec letter from new job and let DIAC know it.

I would like to hear from people and appreciate any advice and suggestion.

Thanks in Advance,
Ajay
There really is no need to post this query in multiple threads, be patient and wait for a response in the first thread you posted it!
Old Jun 29th 2009, 8:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

For those applying from the UK: stop calling it a "reference". That word has a very specific meaning in the UK and most UK employers willl refuse to give a "reference". (Their lawyer will have told them never to give a reference.)

Instead: Firstly, type it yourself! Secondly, present it to your employer and tell them that DIAC require a verification letter stating your length of employment, salary, duties and responsibilities - you have drafted something and would they mind printing it on letterheaded paper and signing it. Also, DIAC might phone them to confirm the letter is genuine.

You will find employers are much more agreeable to that, then if you rock up and say Can I please have a reference.

(And I don't think DIAC call it a "reference" either. They used to call it an "employer's statement" when we did our visa app.)
Old Jun 29th 2009, 9:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rodger_lawson is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ozhappy981
For those applying from the UK: stop calling it a "reference". That word has a very specific meaning in the UK and most UK employers willl refuse to give a "reference". (Their lawyer will have told them never to give a reference.)

Instead: Firstly, type it yourself! Secondly, present it to your employer and tell them that DIAC require a verification letter stating your length of employment, salary, duties and responsibilities - you have drafted something and would they mind printing it on letterheaded paper and signing it. Also, DIAC might phone them to confirm the letter is genuine.

You will find employers are much more agreeable to that, then if you rock up and say Can I please have a reference.

(And I don't think DIAC call it a "reference" either. They used to call it an "employer's statement" when we did our visa app.)
this is what DIAC is looking for: (yes.. they do call it as work reference.)

Include as much of the following evidence as possible:
- Detailed work references showing duties, duration of employment and signed by your manager,

- Pay slips covering the period of claimed work experience,

- Bank statements showing payment of salaries into personal bank accounts

- Taxation Documents
Old Jun 29th 2009, 9:40 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

We're calling it a 'reference' because plain and simple, that's what it is!
Old Jun 29th 2009, 9:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

We're calling it a 'reference' because plain and simple, that's what it is!
Yes, I know that's what it is! But you are not using it to get another job, are you? And you're not asking your employer to say whether you were a decent worker. You are using it to get yourself a visa. And the simple fact is, you stand more of a chance of getting the document (and hence the visa) if you don't call it a "reference" in front of your employer. Just a thought.
Old Jun 29th 2009, 10:32 pm
Feeble Minded

SillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I know that's what it is! But you are not using it to get another job, are you? And you're not asking your employer to say whether you were a decent worker. You are using it to get yourself a visa. And the simple fact is, you stand more of a chance of getting the document (and hence the visa) if you don't call it a "reference" in front of your employer. Just a thought.
I think ozhappy981 has a point. An employer might very well be more inclined to co-operate if they see it as a "statement of employment" or "job verification" where it is pure fact that is being stated (dates, job titles, duties, salary) rather than an opinion on the standard of work/character of the former employee. It surely must be worth a go!
Old Jun 29th 2009, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

ROYAL_DESIGNER is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Ajay.Venk
Hi all,

Living in India and working for USA Company remotely will this effect to my 176 application?

I would like to hear from people and appreciate any advice and suggestions.

Thanks,
Ajay
Hello Ajay...

Ajay... what I understood from u r query is u r staying in INDIA and working for US based company...then Definitly this will not affect on u r 176 visa. if & only if u have not given any kind of written contract / bond to that company.

Generally, if u r free from constraints with company. it does not have any kind of effects on u r application.

CHeers..!

Vijay
Old Jun 29th 2009, 10:51 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mukesam
Why the hell an employer can refuse such a thing. Its your right and they must provide you an exp letter stating your duties and dates. Its not only illegal but immoral and unethical as well. So sad for you.
It's neither illegal nor immoral to refuse to supply an employee with a reference. Neither is it your right to get a reference. Many companies have policies where they do not provide references for any number of reasons; security issues, government agencies, nature of the work done, etc.
Old Jun 29th 2009, 11:12 pm
Forum Regular

ROYAL_DESIGNER is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Dorothy
It's neither illegal nor immoral to refuse to supply an employee with a reference. Neither is it your right to get a reference. Many companies have policies where they do not provide references for any number of reasons; security issues, government agencies, nature of the work done, etc.
Yes Dorothy..I agree with u r opinion...every comapny has their own policies..
even my company people have rejected me to give the reference letter...but my manager said u can give phone nos if really required for any enquiry...
but some how I have some other reference doc for proof....

Cheers!
Old Jun 30th 2009, 9:52 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Can I ask, my last boss, well, we've not spoken since I left in 2004, she's a right MOO....in all honesty I'm not keen on approaching her to get a reference or letter outlining my duties in that school. Could I instead just write them myself, obviously telling the truth, and just get a Statutory Declaration done? Is a SD an expensive thing or? I'm just not keen on approaching her as she is plain and simple, not a nice person and has treated me, and other staff in a very unprofessional manner in the past, nuff said! hmmmmm
Old Jun 30th 2009, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

the4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud of

Can I ask, my last boss, well, we've not spoken since I left in 2004, she's a right MOO....in all honesty I'm not keen on approaching her to get a reference or letter outlining my duties in that school. Could I instead just write them myself, obviously telling the truth, and just get a Statutory Declaration done? Is a SD an expensive thing or? I'm just not keen on approaching her as she is plain and simple, not a nice person and has treated me, and other staff in a very unprofessional manner in the past, nuff said! hmmmmm
hey Jeni,

We wrote all our own "references", then emailed them to previous employers (20 years worth and a lot of job changes cos he's a chef!!) with a quick note explianing what we were doing and would they mind printing it out onto headed paper, signing and returning by post please????? It took a while but we got there in the end. We also has to do a few stat dec's since one employer is now deceased - again we wrote this out, went to a solicitor's in Main St. Bangor and was charged £5 for them to verify it. The same as with the stat dec for my ex-husband to sign - he had to come with me for that one.

HTH

Lynn xx
Old Jun 30th 2009, 10:14 am
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute

Cannot really comment on all of what you ask but I managed to get a stat dec signed (and many certified documents) for free. Many solicitors we phoned only charged a small fee.

Cooler

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.