British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Work Experience (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/work-experience-254606/)

reneebrazil Sep 14th 2004 2:25 pm

Work Experience

Does anybody know if it is ok for TRA accept just work experience without any formal qualification?
My hubbie is a qualified welder for 9.5 years but he thinks that is impossible to accept without a qualification or some courses.
He works with his family for many year and he can prove it.
Thanks a lot for the help.

claire edwards Sep 14th 2004 2:48 pm

Re: Work Experience

Yes you can have your skills processed through the TRA without formal qualifications. I suggest you read all the information on the tra wesite for a more in depth idea of the whole process.

Good Luck.

claire edwards Sep 14th 2004 2:54 pm

Here's the link you need to the TRA website.

www.workplace.gov.au

reneebrazil Sep 14th 2004 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by claire edwards
Here's the link you need to the TRA website.

www.workplace.gov.au

Thanks a lot Claire!!!

I will check this out and also I found a girl who is in the same situation that me. I asked her if she could send me a copy of the letter.

Rob Morton-Jone Sep 14th 2004 3:01 pm

As Claire has said, you can get a positive assessment without formal qualifications.

I have only 1 year city and guilds in sheet metal but many years work experience. My agent is confident of a positive skills assessment and thats from the former head of TRA.

Rob

Originally Posted by reneebrazil
Does anybody know if it is ok for TRA accept just work experience without any formal qualification?
My hubbie is a qualified welder for 9.5 years but he thinks that is impossible to accept without a qualification or some courses.

reneebrazil Sep 14th 2004 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by Rob Morton-Jone
As Claire has said, you can get a positive assessment without formal qualifications.

I have only 1 year city and guilds in sheet metal but many years work experience. My agent is confident of a positive skills assessment and thats from the former head of TRA.

Rob

Hello Rob

Thanks for reply. But my husband doesn't even have a course...that's is my concern.
What you think?

kaznjeff Sep 14th 2004 3:11 pm

my hubby was in the same boat.he has worked for his dad since he left school. did his apprenticship with him,he did not get any "paper" qualifications.we included Letter from his dad(on headed paper) stating his duties,what tools he used,the materials he welded,jobs he did,how he did them etc.also letters from customers,suppliers,contractors etc.also dates are to be included.collect as much proof as you can from as many people as possible.He is classed by TRA as a "1st class welder/boilermaker".

Rob Morton-Jone Sep 14th 2004 3:40 pm

No problem.

Think the minimum requirement is 6 years without any certification. 7 years in other trades.

Seems that you have an excelent case to put forward to TRA.

There are many that have applied to TRA without ANY formal qualifications and have passesd with flying colours

If you are still in doubt, even though you should not be, then get in touch with Alan Collett at www.gomatilda.com and i am sure he will give you a free initial consultation

Regards

Rob

Hello Rob

Thanks for reply. But my husband doesn't even have a course...that's is my concern.
What you think?