Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Withdrawing application- when must I depart Oz?

Wikiposts

Withdrawing application- when must I depart Oz?

Old Feb 4th 2008, 11:35 am
Just Joined

ByeOz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Withdrawing application- when must I depart Oz?

Hello,

A few months ago my Australian spouse and I applied for a spouse visa (stage 1), and I am currently on a bridging visa while this is being processed.

However, the @$$hole cheated on me and the relationship, and therefore the visa application, is over.

I am about to send in a letter withdrawing my application. I have heard that when visa applications are declined, you are given 28 days to leave the country. I am wondering if the same applies in this situation?

I have booked a flight that departs in two weeks (needed a little time to sort things out) and am worried that they will tell me to get out immediately/deport me or that this might affect immigrations view of any future visa applications I may make.

Your advice would be much appreciated!
Old Feb 4th 2008, 11:40 am
why
BE Forum Addict

why has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Withdrawing application- when must I depart Oz?

Originally Posted by ByeOz
Hello,

A few months ago my Australian spouse and I applied for a spouse visa (stage 1), and I am currently on a bridging visa while this is being processed.

However, the @$$hole cheated on me and the relationship, and therefore the visa application, is over.

I am about to send in a letter withdrawing my application. I have heard that when visa applications are declined, you are given 28 days to leave the country. I am wondering if the same applies in this situation?

I have booked a flight that departs in two weeks (needed a little time to sort things out) and am worried that they will tell me to get out immediately/deport me or that this might affect immigrations view of any future visa applications I may make.

i am not an immigration expert but have personal experience with a friend...he was engaged and had a visa application going through just like yours....they split up and his application went through and he became a resident..he then went to on marry an english girl and she got her residency by marrying him

i'd say go and see immigration and talk to them...do you want to go back? or do you want to stay?
Old Feb 4th 2008, 12:41 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ByeOz
Hello,

If you want to go back then 2 weeks is fine. You are usually given 28 days, and if you have your ticket booked already then don't fret.

So sorry to hear about your relationship troubles, though. Best of luck in going home.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 1:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Phoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to behold

Sad story - Best wishes to you for the future
Old Feb 4th 2008, 2:26 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by why
i am not an immigration expert but have personal experience with a friend...he was engaged and had a visa application going through just like yours....they split up and his application went through and he became a resident..he then went to on marry an english girl and she got her residency by marrying him

i'd say go and see immigration and talk to them...do you want to go back? or do you want to stay?
I don't think that's technically legal.

This is a major change of circumstances in the middle of the application. I do not believe anyone would be granted a spouse visa if they've split up.

It may have worked for someone else by not telling, but I think they just got lucky.