Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Wish to emigrate to Australia with Australian girlfriend.

Wish to emigrate to Australia with Australian girlfriend.

Old Jan 28th 2012, 5:18 pm
Just Joined

Boucaneer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wish to emigrate to Australia with Australian girlfriend.

Please forgive me as I know this is a probaly a very common question and I admit I have not performed a search as yet!

I would like to move to Australia with my Australian girlfriend in 8 years time, as she will be going over there to look after her mother.

We may even get married in a couple of years, and I was wondering where to start in finding out about imigration to Australia.

I am a waterman who works on the River Thames and also a carpet fitter! I looked up on the required vocations list and found that floorlayers are accepted but found nothing for boat skippers/captains.

Any help to advise me on what to research next and inquire about would be very much appreciated.

Thanks, Alex.
Old Jan 28th 2012, 5:45 pm

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wish to emigrate to Australia with Australian girlfriend.

Hi and welcome to BE. You probably need to get on the immi.gov.au and go through the Booklet 1 that deals with the spouse visas. Your girlfriend will be your sponsor and you will apply for a defacto or a spouse visa which is essentially the same thing.

Main thing you'd have to show is a so called genuine and lasting relationship - generally considered as 12+ months living together, supported by bills and mail going to the same address, joint vacations, etc. If you have not much in this area, start collecting things for evidence.

You will also need to show that you are in a good health and have no substantial police record. If there are issues there, you will most likely need to engage an agent to help with the paperwork.

The work you do - in the family stream visas it makes no difference, afaik.

Hope this gets you started in a right direction.
Old Jan 28th 2012, 5:51 pm
Just Joined

Boucaneer is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks mate! That's defently got me started in the right direction! Cheers!
Old Jan 28th 2012, 10:21 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Boucaneer
Please forgive me as I know this is a probaly a very common question and I admit I have not performed a search as yet!

I would like to move to Australia with my Australian girlfriend in 8 years time, as she will be going over there to look after her mother.

We may even get married in a couple of years, and I was wondering where to start in finding out about imigration to Australia.

I am a waterman who works on the River Thames and also a carpet fitter! I looked up on the required vocations list and found that floorlayers are accepted but found nothing for boat skippers/captains.

Any help to advise me on what to research next and inquire about would be very much appreciated.

Thanks, Alex.
Now that's what you call planning ahead. !!
Old Jan 28th 2012, 10:52 pm
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light

Loys of work for floorlayers when you come over. Most are self employed sub contractors but the money is alright.
Old Feb 1st 2012, 11:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

James516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud of

As a final point, it's generally much quicker and cheaper to apply as a spouse rather than as a skilled worker, so don't split up with your girlfriend!