Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Will immigration be limited because of the economic crisis ?

Old Oct 20th 2008, 5:36 am
Forum Regular

lotr will become famous soon enough
Unhappy Will immigration be limited because of the economic crisis ?

I have read that the prime minister said that the immigration will be limited in 2009 because of the economic crisis.
Have you heard about it ?

Thank you.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 6:05 am
Forum Regular

natsind is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Will immigration be limited because of the economic crisis ?

yes, australia dont require more immigrants there are already million applications pending and huge crowd of students in Q for becoming migrants.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 6:10 am
Forum Regular

Is that information from the government ?
How did you know it ? from a website ?
Will it influence the next legislation chages ?
Old Oct 20th 2008, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

De Mange will become famous soon enoughDe Mange will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by natsind
yes, australia dont require more immigrants there are already million applications pending and huge crowd of students in Q for becoming migrants.
One million? Thats interesting.

Can you reveal your source, Natsind?
Old Oct 20th 2008, 9:44 am
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by De Mange
One million? Thats interesting.

Can you reveal your source, Natsind?
Hmm, don't think there are a million general skilled migration applications pending but to answer the OP, during one speech after the extent of the global financial crisis came to light the Prime Minister did mention that increased migration levels might be brought into question, but this hasn't been pursued as I think the economists don't regard increased skilled migration as a drain on the economy. Watch that space however.

Cheers,

George Lombard

Cheers,

George Lombard
Old Oct 20th 2008, 9:47 am
BE Enthusiast

dance123 is a name known to alldance123 is a name known to alldance123 is a name known to alldance123 is a name known to alldance123 is a name known to alldance123 is a name known to alldance123 is a name known to alldance123 is a name known to alldance123 is a name known to alldance123 is a name known to alldance123 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by George Lombard
Hmm, don't think there are a million general skilled migration applications pending but to answer the OP, during one speech after the extent of the global financial crisis came to light the Prime Minister did mention that increased migration levels might be brought into question, but this hasn't been pursued as I think the economists don't regard increased skilled migration as a drain on the economy. Watch that space however.

Cheers,

George Lombard
Good point!!!
Old Oct 20th 2008, 9:49 am
Holy c%*p, I'm in!!!

lilsweets is just really nicelilsweets is just really nicelilsweets is just really nicelilsweets is just really nicelilsweets is just really nicelilsweets is just really nicelilsweets is just really nicelilsweets is just really nicelilsweets is just really nice

the economists don't regard increased skilled migration as a drain on the economy.
Keep up the good work Economists! Let's maintain this attitude!
Old Oct 20th 2008, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

De Mange will become famous soon enoughDe Mange will become famous soon enough

Cheers,

George Lombard

Cheers,

George Lombard
I believe they see immigration as a long term thing and will not penalise skilled migrants in the short term to achieve this.

If the Australian economy does take a downturn and unemployment rises, then the temporary 457 visa will be first to suffer as sponsors will find it more difficult to prove that they can't fill the roles with the existing population.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 10:46 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by natsind
Huh?
Old Oct 21st 2008, 1:24 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by De Mange
I believe they see immigration as a long term thing and will not penalise skilled migrants in the short term to achieve this.

If the Australian economy does take a downturn and unemployment rises, then the temporary 457 visa will be first to suffer as sponsors will find it more difficult to prove that they can't fill the roles with the existing population.
They don't usually have to do that today, but it will likely be one of the first things to change.
Old Oct 21st 2008, 4:23 am
Forum Regular

I am with fingers crossed.
I want to apply for a 157 visa and I already have my skills assessed but I can not apply for visa now (Exactly at this moment I don't have AU$2105).
I just hope the legislation won't change for the worse on next Monday !
But life is so, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Whatever the outcome we need to accept it. But it would be so sad if one person does that horrible great number of formalities and can not immigrate because of a change in immigration policy.
If you have news about the next legislation changes, please share them.
I have read this:
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...97-953,00.html
It seem that the prime minister want to change the immigration policy on next May but the opposition is pressing him to do it soon.