Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Wife is on my student visa but can she get sponsored?

Wikiposts

Wife is on my student visa but can she get sponsored?

Old Mar 11th 2009, 1:43 am
Cad and bounder

perksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Wife is on my student visa but can she get sponsored?

We are here in Oz on a student visa and I am the main applicant. The mrs has a part-time job sorted and is doing the 20 hours per week she's allowed. Her employer is constantly on at her to see if the regulations have changed and to see is she's allowed to work more than the 20 hours. Now we know for definate that she's not allowed to do more than the visa restrictions but my question is could she get sponsorship from her employer and have her own visa? Is this even possible as she's already here on my student visa? If it is at all possible how would we even start the process? And could she be able to work full-time?

Sorry for lots of questions there but we'd be much appreciated if anyone can answer
Old Mar 11th 2009, 1:46 am
Forum Regular

Kingsly will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Wife is on my student visa but can she get sponsored?

Originally Posted by perksy
We are here in Oz on a student visa and I am the main applicant. The mrs has a part-time job sorted and is doing the 20 hours per week she's allowed. Her employer is constantly on at her to see if the regulations have changed and to see is she's allowed to work more than the 20 hours. Now we know for definate that she's not allowed to do more than the visa restrictions but my question is could she get sponsorship from her employer and have her own visa? Is this even possible as she's already here on my student visa? If it is at all possible how would we even start the process? And could she be able to work full-time?

Sorry for lots of questions there but we'd be much appreciated if anyone can answer
http://www.immi.gov.au/ - check out this site! It's got some easy survey type things to fill out and figure if your elligiable for visa's. You can send em a mail or give em a call.

Im not really sure how it all works, as im an Aussi. However, u could both jsut marry some aussi's... :P
Old Mar 11th 2009, 2:18 am
Cad and bounder

perksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers for the reply kingsley, I've tried the website you suggested but so far I havent found any answers to my questions on there. I was hoping more that there would be other folks that have already made the move and are/have been in a similar situation would possibly know

EDIT: I should also add the the mrs is in the aged care profession, and her employer is wanting to put her through either nurse training or the equivilent of NVQ level 4 in care home management within the near future.

Last edited by perksy; Mar 11th 2009 at 2:22 am.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 11:24 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers for the reply kingsley, I've tried the website you suggested but so far I havent found any answers to my questions on there. I was hoping more that there would be other folks that have already made the move and are/have been in a similar situation would possibly know

EDIT: I should also add the the mrs is in the aged care profession, and her employer is wanting to put her through either nurse training or the equivilent of NVQ level 4 in care home management within the near future.
If your wife's employer wants to sponsor her they can for a 457. She would have to be on a minimum salary, etc with all the benefits and downfalls of a 457. There is a wiki link at the top of the page as well as look at the DIAC site for Temporary Long Stay Business visas (or just put 457 in the search box on the DIAC site).

It would certainly make life easier if your wife were able to work full time, eh?
Old Mar 11th 2009, 12:07 pm
Cad and bounder

Originally Posted by Dorothy
If your wife's employer wants to sponsor her they can for a 457. She would have to be on a minimum salary, etc with all the benefits and downfalls of a 457. There is a wiki link at the top of the page as well as look at the DIAC site for Temporary Long Stay Business visas (or just put 457 in the search box on the DIAC site).

It would certainly make life easier if your wife were able to work full time, eh?
Many thanks Dorothy. Yep you are right it would make things so much easier if she could work full-time. Her employer seems keen to get more than the 20 hours out of her, they are a well established company here in WA so hopefully the wife will be able to have a chat with someone at head office to see where she stands.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 12:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

welshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond repute

If you are in Perth Metro area, only certain skilled occupations are able to be sponsored for a 457 visa. Care Assistants would not cut it whereas SEN Nurses and Welfare Associate professionals would. So the position would need to be assessing and evaluating the needs of the aged, not just providing basic care.

Regards

Tony Coates
MARN 0635896
Old Mar 11th 2009, 1:04 pm
Cad and bounder

Originally Posted by welshtony
If you are in Perth Metro area, only certain skilled occupations are able to be sponsored for a 457 visa. Care Assistants would not cut it whereas SEN Nurses and Welfare Associate professionals would. So the position would need to be assessing and evaluating the needs of the aged, not just providing basic care.

Regards

Tony Coates
MARN 0635896
Thanks for the reply Tony, do you know if theres any others options my wife has? Or is she stuck with the 20 hours until the completion of my course?
Old Mar 11th 2009, 1:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

welshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reply Tony, do you know if theres any others options my wife has? Or is she stuck with the 20 hours until the completion of my course?

Mandurah would be the nearest place she could possibly be sponsored on a 457 for full-time work - assuming her position is not highly skilled enough. As soon as you complete your course, you can both work full-time on the current student visa. I presume she is over 30 and does not qualify for a working Holiday ? I can't see any way around it to be honest.

Regards

Tony Coates
MARN 0635896
Old Mar 11th 2009, 1:56 pm
Cad and bounder

Mandurah would be the nearest place she could possibly be sponsored on a 457 for full-time work - assuming her position is not highly skilled enough. As soon as you complete your course, you can both work full-time on the current student visa. I presume she is over 30 and does not qualify for a working Holiday ? I can't see any way around it to be honest.

Regards

Tony Coates
MARN 0635896

Hi Tony, my wife is 25 years old, she currently works in Waikiki which is an area of Rockingham. Mandurah isn't too far from us.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 8:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Normally there would be no way around it.
Has she previously had a working holiday visa? If no, she is in the right age (assuming you have no kids) to get a working holiday visa. She could work full time BUT only for 6 months for each employer. This visa lasts for a year.

We are in the same position where hubbie can only work 20 hours a week and his works would like him full time. People seem to think it is easy to get visas and seem quite put out when you can't, as if you just don't want to work. This time next year he will be able to work full time though
Old Mar 11th 2009, 10:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi Tony, my wife is 25 years old, she currently works in Waikiki which is an area of Rockingham. Mandurah isn't too far from us.

She would need to work in Mandurah - Rockingham comes under Perth metro for 457 purposes. She could go off-shore and get a working Holiday visa ~(WHV) but that would restrict her to, at best, two periods of six months full time work with the same employer - if one was done on the first year of the WHV and the second 6 months done on the second WHV - so I don't think this would be a practical solution.

Regards

Tony Coates
MARN 0635896
Old Mar 11th 2009, 11:47 pm
Forum Regular

bound4brissy is on a distinguished road

we are currently on a student visa - Im studying and hubby in same boat with employer - we are on final stage of 457 - will find out in 2 weeks..... fingers crossed as we are running out of money! If you do go down that route the employer needs to apply to be a sponsor first then they authorise the position and then once thats all approved you can apply for your visa. its taken about 3 months for us for the whole process - to be fair it could have been quicker if we had all the documentation that was needed to hand! Good luck with it....
Old Mar 11th 2009, 11:49 pm
Forum Regular

bound4brissy is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by bound4brissy
we are currently on a student visa - Im studying and hubby in same boat with employer - we are on final stage of 457 - will find out in 2 weeks..... fingers crossed as we are running out of money! If you do go down that route the employer needs to apply to be a sponsor first then they authorise the position and then once thats all approved you can apply for your visa. its taken about 3 months for us for the whole process - to be fair it could have been quicker if we had all the documentation that was needed to hand! Good luck with it....
Oh yeah - meant to say that you can both go over to the 457 visa - thats what Im doing. Gives you longer in the country - otherwise your visa would expire before hers as 457 can be up to 4 years. You can still go to college etc...nothing changes much from that respect other than you can also work more than 20 hours if you want.

Last edited by bound4brissy; Mar 11th 2009 at 11:52 pm.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 1:07 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

The problem is that you can't be sponsored for just any old job. Oz is quite fussy.
If you couldn't get in on your own you only have a slightly better chance of being sponsored. Most people who have come over on a student visa have done it because they don't have one of the jobs you can be sponsored for, or if they are lucky, just not enough experiance in which case sponsorship if more likely.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 10:02 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Further to Tony's comments, I'd recommend some professional advice on this. Try Steven O'Neil : http://www.iscah.com
It's also important to consider the impact on pathways to permanent residence, not just the immediate need.