Why do they need SO MUCH information?

Old Nov 8th 2017, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

LaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Why do they need SO MUCH information?

So I am filling Form 40SP for my husband to sign. In the Form they ask if he has had any previous relationships before the one with me. He had one relationship. I have already submitted my form, where I listed all of my many previous boyfriends .

Why do they need to know? I hate the fact that someone is going to be reading all this stuff, probably making a few judgements about me.

Also, parents, siblings, etc. Why do they need details? I am estranged from my sibling. What if they need information about him?

I dunno, it all seems so irrelevant.

< snipped >

Last edited by BEVS; Nov 8th 2017 at 12:50 am. Reason: If you wish for anyone to respond then I suggest you keep it polite.
Old Nov 8th 2017, 1:18 am
Forum Regular

WRUSSELL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why do they need SO MUCH information?

'They' are not interested in boyfriends, only de facto or married relationships.
There are are numerous reasons for them wanting to know about various parties:
If they are your dependants they must satisfy the public interest criteria.
Do they have an adverse immigration history?
You might want to sponsor them later.
If you or your partner were in any previous relationship, what is the evidence that any such relationships have ended?
If any person you disclosed has lodged an application with 'them' (or some other immigration authority) was the information they provided different from the information you have provided?
Have you or your partner contradicted information previously submitted?
and so on...
Old Nov 8th 2017, 6:11 am
BE Forum Addict

LaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WRUSSELL
'They' are not interested in boyfriends, only de facto or married relationships.
There are are numerous reasons for them wanting to know about various parties:
If they are your dependants they must satisfy the public interest criteria.
Do they have an adverse immigration history?
You might want to sponsor them later.
If you or your partner were in any previous relationship, what is the evidence that any such relationships have ended?
If any person you disclosed has lodged an application with 'them' (or some other immigration authority) was the information they provided different from the information you have provided?
Have you or your partner contradicted information previously submitted?
and so on...
I quote: "Has the applicant been in any previous relationships with persons other than the sponsor?" They don't specify married/de facto, just "any relationships".

Could I sponsor by brother anyway? Will the fact that I have parents and a brother harm my application? What if any of them had a terrible criminal history (they don't, as far as I know). Would that affect my application?

It just seems irrelevant and unnecessarily intrusive.
Old Nov 8th 2017, 6:55 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

I'm looking at Form 40SP from http://www.border.gov.au/forms/Documents/40sp.pdf and dated 07/17 and it quite clearly asks:

28 Have you ever been in a same-sex or opposite-sex de facto relationship with a person other than the current visa applicant?
for the Sponsor

and

33 Has the visa applicant ever been in a same-sex or opposite-sex de facto relationship with a person other than you?
for the Visa applicant.

They only want to know about previous live-in relationships. They're not interested in how many boyfriends you might have had in the past!

Last edited by NickyC; Nov 8th 2017 at 7:00 am.
Old Nov 8th 2017, 9:33 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LaLaLayla
I quote: "Has the applicant been in any previous relationships with persons other than the sponsor?" They don't specify married/de facto, just "any relationships".

Could I sponsor by brother anyway? Will the fact that I have parents and a brother harm my application? What if any of them had a terrible criminal history (they don't, as far as I know). Would that affect my application?

It just seems irrelevant and unnecessarily intrusive.
Their playground = their rules. Do you want the visa? If so, then answer the questions honestly and you have nothing to worry about.

As for why they want to know about family, think about it.... Say you have a brother who's a freedom fighter for ISIS. Don't you think the Australian government has a right to know that? And yes, you could be a sponsor for your brother. There are family sponsored skilled visas. Parents? Yes, you could sponsor them in future. The government (acting on ALL Australians' behalf) has a right to know their background if it chooses.
Old Nov 8th 2017, 9:47 am
BE Forum Addict

@NickyC, it's the Spouse Visa application form that asks. I have taken a picture of it but don't know how to add it to my post.
Old Nov 8th 2017, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

@Dorothy, yes I get that, but are the details of some bloke i shagged 25 years ago at university really relevant to my Visa Application? Like, REALLY?!?
Old Nov 8th 2017, 9:56 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

@Dorothy, yes I get that, but are the details of some bloke i shagged 25 years ago at university really relevant to my Visa Application? Like, REALLY?!?
They don't want to know about some bloke you shagged 25 years ago. They want to know about legal relationships; i.e de-facto or married only. I'm not sure where you're looking, but this is the correct, current 40SP http://www.border.gov.au/forms/Documents/40sp.pdf Nowhere does it ask for "some bloke you shagged", only marriages and de-facto relationships. I suggest you fill in the current form and ditch the one you're using now.

As for the @...this is not twitter. If you want to quote someone you click on the "quote" button on their post.
Old Nov 8th 2017, 10:01 am
BE Forum Addict

The @ reference is common now on website forums.

And my quote came from the Spouse Visa Application Form.

How can I upload a photograph? Does anybody know? Thanks.
Old Nov 8th 2017, 10:04 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

@NickyC, it's the Spouse Visa application form that asks. I have taken a picture of it but don't know how to add it to my post.
You said in your original post that you were filling in Form 40SP. And I quoted from Form 40SP.

What's the number of the form you're completing and I'll see if I can find it.
Old Nov 8th 2017, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Yes, I was filling in 40SP, but the previous relationship question was on the Spouse Visa Application Form (don't know the number).
Old Nov 8th 2017, 10:58 am
DML
Forum Regular

DML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond repute

Wait til you get to citizenship - we've filled in the forms for our 457, two years later more of the same for the PR and now more of the same for citizenship. Most if not all of it should be on file. Obviously keeps lots of paper pushers (or mouse clickers) in a job
Old Nov 8th 2017, 11:15 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

So I am filling Form 40SP for my husband to sign. In the Form they ask if he has had any previous relationships before the one with me. He had one relationship. I have already submitted my form, where I listed all of my many previous boyfriends .

Why do they need to know? I hate the fact that someone is going to be reading all this stuff, probably making a few judgements about me.

Also, parents, siblings, etc. Why do they need details? I am estranged from my sibling. What if they need information about him?

I dunno, it all seems so irrelevant.

< snipped >
For starters, the form you fill in is 47SP.
The form your husband fills in is 40SP.

DIBP compare them to see if the answers are the same - so if your husband says he believes you have never been married, yet you name three previous husbands....there is the first red flag.

Australia likes forms. Get used to it, its a fact of life.
Old Nov 8th 2017, 11:16 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

The @ reference is common now on website forums.
Not on BE it isn't. Never has been and hopefully never will be. We prefer to quote the post that is being replied to
Old Nov 8th 2017, 11:41 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know what version of the forms you are looking at but in 14 years of seeing these forms I have never seen requests for all ex boyfriends/girlfriends. And no, we don't use @. Just use the quote button. It's much clearer for others to see what quote you're replying to.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.