WHV (Subclass 417) + HIV infection

Old Jan 23rd 2013, 12:38 am
Forum Regular

moo1982 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default WHV (Subclass 417) + HIV infection

Hello

An work colleague has recently going to Australia via WHV. He is pestering me to come along as well. I admit I am very tempted as I want to use the opportunity to start something new in my life. However there is one problem. I been diagnoised HIV positive since 2007. Im currently taking medication for it now (Atripla) and my Viral load is detectable and my CD4 counts are fine.

Im looking for advice it is worthwhile applying for a WHV? I noticed on the application form one of the questions asks if I will be requiring medical treatment for a list of medical illnesses for the duration of my visit. One of which is HIV / AIDS.

I had a look on the immigration department website. All I found I have to meet two requirements.
1. No be a threat of public health
2. Diseases or conditions that result in significant costs

The first requirement I meet fine. As they don't class HIV as a threat to public health. However for the second one. I will fail to meet that for permanent visa applications. There nothing mentioned about temporary visas like the WHV. Or I need to undertake a health examination?

I mostly planning to contracting or agency work in the IT sector.

Any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 12:51 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WHV (Subclass 417) + HIV infection

Originally Posted by moo1982
Hello

An work colleague has recently going to Australia via WHV. He is pestering me to come along as well. I admit I am very tempted as I want to use the opportunity to start something new in my life. However there is one problem. I been diagnoised HIV positive since 2007. Im currently taking medication for it now (Atripla) and my Viral load is detectable and my CD4 counts are fine.

Im looking for advice it is worthwhile applying for a WHV? I noticed on the application form one of the questions asks if I will be requiring medical treatment for a list of medical illnesses for the duration of my visit. One of which is HIV / AIDS.

I had a look on the immigration department website. All I found I have to meet two requirements.
1. No be a threat of public health
2. Diseases or conditions that result in significant costs

The first requirement I meet fine. As they don't class HIV as a threat to public health. However for the second one. I will fail to meet that for permanent visa applications. There nothing mentioned about temporary visas like the WHV. Or I need to undertake a health examination?

I mostly planning to contracting or agency work in the IT sector.

Any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated
I would think an internet forum would not be the best place for help. Yours is a bit of a different situation to what we would normally see on here, so you may not get the help you need.

I would suggest you contact a MARA registered migration agent who is experienced with medical issues. I believe (I could be wrong about the name) that Ian Harrop is who people usually recommend for medical stuff. Alternately, George Lombard in Sydney also comes highly recommended. You can google either of them for contact info.

Good luck!
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 3:44 am
BE Enthusiast

TeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Moo

Welcome to the forum.

Whether you will be required to take a medical is mainly determined from the health matrix. You will find that on the DIAC web site - Form 1163i (there is a supplement as well if your country is not listed on the main copy).

You could also take a look at the HALC web site http://www.halc.org.au/
they have some useful information on the subject.

Plus if you wished to contact me by email (I would PM you but you have too few posts to access them), I can provide some advice on one of your questions above but would prefer not to do so on an open forum.

Tee
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 7:41 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TeeTMI
Hi Moo

Welcome to the forum.

Whether you will be required to take a medical is mainly determined from the health matrix. You will find that on the DIAC web site - Form 1163i (there is a supplement as well if your country is not listed on the main copy).

Plus if you wished to contact me by email (I would PM you but you have too few posts to access them), I can provide some advice on one of your questions above but would prefer not to do so on an open forum.

Tee
Hello Tee

I just sent you an email.

Moo
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 9:52 am

Location: "What I did, I did without choice. In the name of peace and sanity."
mrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Moo

Welcome to the forum.

Tee
If there's no confidential information involved, maybe you could put an answer in here too, as that would help people who may have a similar query in the future.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mrsgreenstar76
If there's no confidential information involved, maybe you could put an answer in here too, as that would help people who may have a similar query in the future.
My query is more of how to prepare for my WHV application. How what additional information to put on the application when I tick the "yes" box on question 30 on the form.

What I gathered so far. I shouldn't be subject to an medical assessment as I am applying for a temporary visa and I am a permanent resident in the UK. When I find out more i'm more than happy to post my findings.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 12:01 am
BE Enthusiast

TeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrsgreenstar76
I would normally Mrs G.

It is not so much confidentiality.
It is rather that there are a range of factors relating to HIV and each individuals circumstances, which need to be taken into consideration. Providing generalised information would be inappropriate.

I would advise an individual with a similar query to seek professional advice relating to their specific circumstances.

Last edited by TeeTMI; Jan 24th 2013 at 12:03 am.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 5:08 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I would normally Mrs G.

It is rather that there are a range of factors relating to HIV and each individuals circumstances, which need to be taken into consideration. Providing generalised information would be inappropriate.

I would advise an individual with a similar query to seek professional advice relating to their specific circumstances.
We've had a few tricky medical cases on here in the past and When an agent starts to say "don't put the details on the forum"I would always advise the OP to follow that advice - for just the reasons tee has outlined.

However it would be good to hear a final result
Old Jan 24th 2013, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

All I will say on this matter it is not "clear cut". Tee has given me lots of things to consider. However im more then happy to come back and let you know the status of my application. Or if I have decided to make an application. I got until July this year to make an application as I turn 31 then.
But I will not be disclosing what advice I have been given either by a immigration lawyer and/or RMA. As everyone circumstances are different.

Last edited by moo1982; Jan 24th 2013 at 8:16 am.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 11:40 am

Location: "What I did, I did without choice. In the name of peace and sanity."
mrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond repute

I would normally Mrs G.

I can appreciate that. It's definitely something people need professional advice about.

Originally Posted by Pollyana
We've had a few tricky medical cases on here in the past and When an agent starts to say "don't put the details on the forum"I would always advise the OP to follow that advice - for just the reasons tee has outlined.

However it would be good to hear a final result
+1

All I will say on this matter it is not "clear cut". Tee has given me lots of things to consider. However im more then happy to come back and let you know the status of my application. Or if I have decided to make an application. I got until July this year to make an application as I turn 31 then.
But I will not be disclosing what advice I have been given either by a immigration lawyer and/or RMA. As everyone circumstances are different.
Absolutely the right idea. Always be careful about what you put on a public forum. Everyone's cases are individual, which is what we say about timelines etc, so you're definitely right there.

Good luck with your application.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

One last thing.
Anyone recommend any RMAs who might have some expertise in this kind of thing?
Ian Harrop doesn't specalise in temporary visas. I have emailed George Lombard. Someone mentioned Visa Bureau to me. I had a look on their website. However im reluctant to input all of my personal details on their online assessement. Anyone had any dealings with Visa Bureau? How good are they?
Old Jan 24th 2013, 8:50 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

One last thing.
Anyone recommend any RMAs who might have some expertise in this kind of thing?
Ian Harrop doesn't specalise in temporary visas. I have emailed George Lombard. Someone mentioned Visa Bureau to me. I had a look on their website. However im reluctant to input all of my personal details on their online assessement. Anyone had any dealings with Visa Bureau? How good are they?
The agent most often recommended on here for medical issues is a guy called Peter Bollard.
TeeTMI posted above that she also might be able to help with one of your queries
Old Jan 24th 2013, 9:47 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
The agent most often recommended on here for medical issues is a guy called Peter Bollard.
TeeTMI posted above that she also might be able to help with one of your queries
Peter Bollard! That's the name I was after.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 11:31 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Peter Bollard! That's the name I was after.
Old Jan 25th 2013, 6:18 am
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Guys,

In this specific case my advice is to use the HIV and AIDS Legal Centre - TeeTMI gave the link above it's http://www.halc.org.au/ - because you would expect them to have the best support for people who are HIV+ and, as a community legal centre, it's free.

Cheers,

George Lombard

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.