Who classifies as a dependent

Old Aug 3rd 2012, 4:27 am
Just Joined

acidify will become famous soon enough
Default Who classifies as a dependent

When lodging for EOI , Subclass 189 and 190 , Can older parents and siblings be included as a dependent ? Can there be a circumstance, when only the applicant gets selected and the dependent's are not granted a visa too ? In such a case is there a way to re appeal the case ?
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 4:41 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who classifies as a dependent

Originally Posted by acidify
When lodging for EOI , Subclass 189 and 190 , Can older parents and siblings be included as a dependent ? Can there be a circumstance, when only the applicant gets selected and the dependent's are not granted a visa too ? In such a case is there a way to re appeal the case ?
They can be included if they are wholly dependant on the main applicant for their daily living needs. Where do your parents and siblings live? With you? Do any of them work or have pensions or any source of income? Do you provide them with all their basic needs - food, shelter, etc?

As for a visa only being granted to the main applicant and not the others on the application, no it doesn't work that way. It's all approved or none approved. If DIAC does not feel that your claimed dependants are truly dependant for immigration purposes they will ask if you want to take them off the application. Bear in mind that everyone will need to pass a medical and again if one fails you all fail. It would be unlikely that you would be able to appeal but that's one that an agent would be able to give more information about.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 12:53 pm
Just Joined

Thanks dorothy - Well its just that I want to include my parents who are over 50 , in my application also , and I dont think i can claim any kind of points for them , Can I include them in my application ?

On the skillselect website, it doesnt mention anything about including parents in the application ?
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 1:59 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks dorothy - Well its just that I want to include my parents who are over 50 , in my application also , and I dont think i can claim any kind of points for them , Can I include them in my application ?

On the skillselect website, it doesnt mention anything about including parents in the application ?
Are your parents 100% dependent on you for food, shelter etc? If not, the answer is no.
You cannot claim points for them because they would be dependent so add nothing to what you can offer Australia.

Not knowing where you are from this may be irrelevant, but if you are in the UK and your parents are there as well, they have access to state pensions, that means they are not dependent. If you are from, for example, India and have no State pension then they may be dependent if they do not have their own private income.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 11:32 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

You did not answer any of my questions.

1. Where to do your parents live?
2. Do they live with you?
3. Do any of them work or have pensions or any source of income?
4. Do you provide them with all their basic needs - food, shelter, etc?
Old Aug 4th 2012, 12:48 pm
Just Joined

@Pollyana - yes , at the current moment in time my father recently retired, and my mother is a home maker, so I am the bread winner in the house , i come from a country where State Pensions are remote and distant dream , basically once you finish working and paying taxes, you get a swift kick in the groin , lets just say one of the reasons I want to leave is make a better life for the future generation.

@Dorothy - 1. My parents are living with me at the current moment in time
2. Both of them do not have a source of income , and as i mentioned earlier, there is no assistance of any kind for anybody under any circumstance
3. At the current moment in time the financial responsibility is being shared with my brothers and myself,

So I was wondering if there is some way i can get my parents to come with me to australia eventually

Danka ;>
Old Aug 5th 2012, 3:15 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

@Pollyana - yes , at the current moment in time my father recently retired, and my mother is a home maker, so I am the bread winner in the house , i come from a country where State Pensions are remote and distant dream , basically once you finish working and paying taxes, you get a swift kick in the groin , lets just say one of the reasons I want to leave is make a better life for the future generation.

@Dorothy - 1. My parents are living with me at the current moment in time
2. Both of them do not have a source of income , and as i mentioned earlier, there is no assistance of any kind for anybody under any circumstance
3. At the current moment in time the financial responsibility is being shared with my brothers and myself,

So I was wondering if there is some way i can get my parents to come with me to australia eventually

Danka ;>
It sounds like they might be dependent then, could be worth speaking to a registered agent to clarify. Because most forum members are British we cannot sponsor parents as dependents so there isn't much info here on it. However if you are supporting them financially and they live with you, there may be a good chance. The sticking point would be that you share the responsibility with your brothers - thats why a professional opinion would be handy.