Wikiposts

Who can certify copied documents?

Old Apr 8th 2004, 1:20 am
PommieLeague

Default Who can certify copied documents?

I am under the idea that it can only be a JP, Lawyer etc, but according to DIMIA's website, in Australia, a bank manager can also certify copies of birth certificates, passports etc.

Can a bank manager do this outside Australia, has anyone had docs certified by one?

Thanks

Old Apr 8th 2004, 1:24 am
Paddington Brisbane

BKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Who can certify copied documents?

Hi,

I've read that too, but my understanding was that was only possible if you're having documents certified in Australia.

Do a search as theres been loads of discussion on this in this forum.
Old Apr 8th 2004, 2:03 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Lathlain
I am under the idea that it can only be a JP, Lawyer etc, but according to DIMIA's website, in Australia, a bank manager can also certify copies of birth certificates, passports etc.

Can a bank manager do this outside Australia, has anyone had docs certified by one?

Thanks
Several people can do it such as Doctor,Senior civil servant etc.There should be a list in with the forms.I had mine done by Friends.One a Doctor,one a Solicitor.
Check the DIMIA website:
www.immi.gov.au

Good luck
G
Old Apr 8th 2004, 2:04 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Grayling
Several people can do it such as Doctor,Senior civil servant etc.There should be a list in with the forms.I had mine done by Friends.One a Doctor,one a Solicitor.
Check the DIMIA website:
www.immi.gov.au

Good luck
G
Sorry
Just noticed you have looked at the website.
G
Old Apr 8th 2004, 2:05 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Check the DIMIA website:
www.immi.gov.au

Good luck
G

There's always a debate over this...yes, in Oz, it can be a bank manager, post office worked, doctor etc etc. But in the UK it is usually recommended that you get a solicitor or JP to do the signing. The law on stat decs is not the same in Oz as it is in the UK, so to make sure you get it right, I'd use a solicitor or JP.

Most solicitors will certify docs for a block fee - ie, you take it all to them in one big batch and only get charged once. If you ask around you may find that someone you know is a JP - lots of people are - in which case you might get it done for free.
Old Apr 8th 2004, 2:11 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally posted by bundy
There's always a debate over this...yes, in Oz, it can be a bank manager, post office worked, doctor etc etc. But in the UK it is usually recommended that you get a solicitor or JP to do the signing. The law on stat decs is not the same in Oz as it is in the UK, so to make sure you get it right, I'd use a solicitor or JP.

Most solicitors will certify docs for a block fee - ie, you take it all to them in one big batch and only get charged once. If you ask around you may find that someone you know is a JP - lots of people are - in which case you might get it done for free.
Bundy
You may be right but I had one set of forms signed by a doctor and it was accepted OK.Maybe it depends on the type of visa.
Best wishes
G
Old Apr 8th 2004, 2:13 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Bundy
You may be right but I had one set of forms signed by a doctor and it was accepted OK.Maybe it depends on the type of visa.
Best wishes
G

Maybe so - I'm not saying it's impossible to get them signed by someone else, just that it is recommended that you get them signed by a solicitor/JP. You narky case officer could get picky...
Old Apr 8th 2004, 2:19 am
BE Enthusiast

jasper pentop is an unknown quantity at this point

Bundy
Best wishes
G

I got mine signed by a friend who is a postmaster.... here in UK.. and went through no worries
Old Apr 8th 2004, 2:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Gravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Lathlain

Thanks

We had all ours done by a JP apart from 1 statatury declaration which was done by a solicitor.
We had been told by our agent only to use a JP, Solicitor or Notary here in the UK.
You can also get them certified at a magistrates court. They were going to charge us £8 for a few but didn't say how many a few were.
Luckily a friend of ours sister is a JP and she did them for us for free. Although a JP cannot charge for their services.
The solicitor charged £5

Gravyman
Old Apr 8th 2004, 2:52 am
She's a bird, you know

Originally posted by Gravyman
We had all ours done by a JP apart from 1 statatury declaration which was done by a solicitor.
We had been told by our agent only to use a JP, Solicitor or Notary here in the UK.
You can also get them certified at a magistrates court. They were going to charge us £8 for a few but didn't say how many a few were.
Luckily a friend of ours sister is a JP and she did them for us for free. Although a JP cannot charge for their services.
The solicitor charged £5

Gravyman
That's the advice I had too (non-agent).

We've got a mate who's a solicitor so it'll only cost us a bottle of wine!
Old Apr 8th 2004, 2:58 am
BE Forum Addict

arlene is an unknown quantity at this point

We've got a mate who's a solicitor so it'll only cost us a bottle of wine! [/QUOTE]

jammy or what our solictor rubs her hands when she sees us coming, just had to jump through another hoop to get my registration by sa witnessed yet again she was loving it

well be glad to see the back of our solicitors especially after the extortionate fee they are charging to sell the house

arlene
Old Apr 8th 2004, 3:01 am
She's a bird, you know

Originally posted by arlene
We've got a mate who's a solicitor so it'll only cost us a bottle of wine!

jammy or what our solictor rubs her hands when she sees us coming, just had to jump through another hoop to get my registration by sa witnessed yet again she was loving it

well be glad to see the back of our solicitors especially after the extortionate fee they are charging to sell the house

arlene [/QUOTE]

I've also just found out that my ex-boyfriend has just passed his solicitor training, in which case I won't even need a bottle of wine because emotional blackmail will do the trick quite nicely!
Old Apr 8th 2004, 3:05 am
Bitter and twisted

Bundy
Best wishes
G
As mine is a Contributory Parent visa I can only go on the Information I have.
This is a Quote from the Booklet:

"Do not supply original documents with your application.If we require an original document at any stage,we will ask for it.
You should provide 'certified copies' of original documents.This means a copy which is authorised as a true copy by a person before whoma statutory declaration may be made.
Such authorised persons include the following: a Magistrate,a Justice of the Peace,a Commissioner for affidavits, a person before whom a statutory declaration may be made under the law of the state in which the declaration is made,a Solicitor, a registered Medical practitioner, a bank manager, a postal manager or a public servant (commonwealth or state) with at least 5 years of service."

This means that I could do them myself as I can certify (and have) for Firearms certs. passports etc.(obviously not my own).
My wife,as a civil servant would also be eligible.

G
Old Apr 8th 2004, 3:08 am
She's a bird, you know

As mine is a Contributory Parent visa I can only go on the Information I have.
This is a Quote from the Booklet:

"Do not supply original documents with your application.If we require an original document at any stage,we will ask for it.
You should provide 'certified copies' of original documents.This means a copy which is authorised as a true copy by a person before whoma statutory declaration may be made.
Such authorised persons include the following: a Magistrate,a Justice of the Peace,a Commissioner for affidavits, a person before whom a statutory declaration may be made under the law of the state in which the declaration is made,a Solicitor, a registered Medical practitioner, a bank manager, a postal manager or a public servant (commonwealth or state) with at least 5 years of service."

This means that I could do them myself as I can certify (and have) for Firearms certs. passports etc.(obviously not my own).
My wife,as a civil servant would also be eligible.

G
I think the wording is the same in the spouse visa docs, but it only relates to the stat decs done by aussie citizens (done on a special form) and not the ones done by anyone else, for which no form exists.
Old Apr 8th 2004, 3:18 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally posted by bundy
I think the wording is the same in the spouse visa docs, but it only relates to the stat decs done by aussie citizens (done on a special form) and not the ones done by anyone else, for which no form exists.
Bundy
The quote I have given is from information for applicants for Parent migration.It applies to offshore applications.
I do not see why it should be any different for any other visas.

I think DIMIA should give a definitive statement as to who is eligible to certify documents as I know that both my wife and myself are legally able to do so in the UK (as established public servants).

G

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.