Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Who can certify Birth Certificate in Canada

Wikiposts

Who can certify Birth Certificate in Canada

Old Jun 23rd 2004, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

Joe65 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Who can certify Birth Certificate in Canada?

Hi All,

I am in Canada.

This question has probably popped up in this forum before. I've just received medical and PCC requests from ASPC and the case officer has requested for certified copies of full birth certificates for myself and my wife.

When I submitted my application for the 139 class visa I had all copies of certificates certified by my family doctor here in Toronto. In the letter I received today it states "Documents may be certified by a Comissioner of Oaths or a Notary Public only." Now this is a little confusing to me since all the other documents were certified by my doctor and there were no problems.

In Canada a medical doctor is authorized to stand as a guarantor and also certify copies of documents.

If any body has been in a similar situation please voice your opinion/suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Joe
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

marleintje is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Who can certify Birth Certificate in Canada?

Well Joe, I'm very interested in the answer you get, I work at a medical university so am surrounded by doctors. It would really help me out and save money if my collegues could certify all my papers...
Does anyone know?
Old Jun 24th 2004, 2:38 am
Forum Regular

abhityagi is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Joe,

I am in mississauga, i recently despatched application to ACS and VETASSESS certifying documents by a doctor, and that was mentioned in the guidelines. Now thats worring me, will it be returned or will they ask to re-certify.

Abhishek

Originally posted by marleintje
Well Joe, I'm very interested in the answer you get, I work at a medical university so am surrounded by doctors. It would really help me out and save money if my collegues could certify all my papers...
Does anyone know?
Old Jun 24th 2004, 3:11 am
Forum Regular

Joe65 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by abhityagi
Hi Joe,

I am in mississauga, i recently despatched application to ACS and VETASSESS certifying documents by a doctor, and that was mentioned in the guidelines. Now thats worring me, will it be returned or will they ask to re-certify.

Abhishek
Hi Abhishek,

All our documents were cerrtified by a bank manager for VETASSESS and for the visa application our family doctor did the certifications.

So I would think there is no problem there.

Joe

Last edited by Joe65; Jun 24th 2004 at 3:16 am.
Old Jun 25th 2004, 12:22 am
Forum Regular

According to the DIMIA Immigration booklets a registered medical practioner in Australia is authorized to certify copies and sign statutory declarations. It doesn't state wether a medical doctor in other countries is authorized to do so.
It says a person or agency should be recognized by the law of their country to certify copies. So this could be different for all of us depending on the country we live in.
I suppose we should contact an Australian mission in our home country to find out which persons are authorized for our case.
Does that make sense?
I'll email the embassy in Holland and get back here later. I need to contact them anyway about authorized translations.
Old Jun 25th 2004, 1:36 am
Forum Regular

CrazyCanuck is an unknown quantity at this point

> In the letter I received today it states "Documents may be
> certified by a Comissioner of Oaths or a Notary Public only."

I suspect medical doctors cannot certify documents in Canada, unless one of them is specifically recognized as a commissioner of oaths or a notary public, not too likely.

I used my MP, since MPs are recognized as such.

I suggest getting another copy of the BC certified by an MP or MPP/MLA/MHA, or Justice of the Peace. If you don't have too many other documents that were previously certified by the doctor, you might want to get them re-done too, in case DIMIA asks.
Old Jun 25th 2004, 2:17 am
Just Joined

bigal is an unknown quantity at this point

HI Guys,

I moved from Canada-Mississauag to Perth back in April. If you are a Canadian born, make sure to submit you long brith certificate for a Notary Public. I tookls ours to a local lawer's firm in Mississauga and had cerified lots of documents for a fixed fee. Make sure to ask for 3 copies of each doument as you will need them for ACS application as well as you DIMIA application form.

Good luck.
Bigal

Originally posted by CrazyCanuck
> In the letter I received today it states "Documents may be
> certified by a Comissioner of Oaths or a Notary Public only."

I suspect medical doctors cannot certify documents in Canada, unless one of them is specifically recognized as a commissioner of oaths or a notary public, not too likely.

I used my MP, since MPs are recognized as such.

I suggest getting another copy of the BC certified by an MP or MPP/MLA/MHA, or Justice of the Peace. If you don't have too many other documents that were previously certified by the doctor, you might want to get them re-done too, in case DIMIA asks.
Old Jun 27th 2004, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

Can someone tell me what MP, MPP, MLA and MHA stand for?
Sorry, I'm not a native English speaker.
Old Jul 1st 2004, 12:53 am
Just Joined

bigal is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Marleintje

MP=Member of Parliament
MPP=Member of Provisional Parliament
MLA=Member of Legislative Assembly
MHA I do not know

PS Happy Canada Day

Bigal

Originally posted by marleintje
Can someone tell me what MP, MPP, MLA and MHA stand for?
Sorry, I'm not a native English speaker.
Old Jul 3rd 2004, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

Thanks, Bigal.
Each province has its own legislature or parliament. They mostly have different names, and so their members have different names as well.

Ontario has MPPs (Member of Provincial Parliament). Some other provinces have MLAs (Member of Legislative Assembly) or MHAs (Member of House of Assembly). Quebec has MNA (Member of National Assembly). Yes it's confusing. But they all can certify copies.
Old Jul 3rd 2004, 9:06 am
Forum Regular

How did this thread jump from Canada to Australia/NZ? I'm sure it began in Canada. Odd.