whinging pom!

Old Mar 18th 2002, 11:05 am
Mandy Bale

Default whinging pom!

Hi all,

Well we are off in just over a week to start our new life in Sydney. I have only been
looking at this group very occasionally just lately as we have been residing in my
parents caravan down the end of their field so no telephone point! After reading
through all the posts I had to give you my view on why we are leaving England and why
we won't be missing our family and our life here too much, as I didn't really
appreciate some people on here saying its a bad idea and you shouldn't take your kids
away from family and about the crime rates ect just as we are really at the point of
no return. (not having a go just giving my opinion so please don't take offense).
Well the family thing in my life is such a farce for a start (you'll have to excuse
the spelling). I have 3 older brothers and although I love them all we all have a
better relationship if we don't see each other all the time. And as we all live round
the corner to each other then we all feel obliged to have to go and visit or they all
get upset if we don't so I think moving to Aus will get rid of that pressure and of
course they will all be welcome to visit and they all will. In fact I will probably
see or hear from them more when we are in Aus!! I know it seems strange but this is
the way it is with my family so I certainly won't miss that. I will miss my parents
though but then again I think I have been around them too much anyway and they are
starting to get to me! Its probably just me but then maybe thats why I think Aus
would be good for me and my little family. As for the crime rates, well, we know that
Aus has crime, show me a place that doesn't, we don't look through rose coloured
glasses and we have done our homework. BUT, where we can afford to live in England
(not mentioning town names but lets just say its the Crap hole of Essex) compared to
where we can afford to live near Sydney it looks about 100 times better!! When you
pick up the local paper everyweek and there are stabbings, burgularies, indecent
assaults nearly every week (and I don't think I'm exaggerating) then you start to
think, is this really the life we want for our kids. It doesn't help also when I pick
our 5 year old up from school (and this is one of the better schools in this area)
and the teacher tells you that he is really 'irritating', now that really makes you
want to stay!! And after being broken into and having our nice Volvo estate (which we
worked hard for) stolen along with all electrical goods from our lounge then that
really finishes off our decision really, not to mention several other cars stolen
from our street too and our French friends car stolen from outside a local restaraunt
just minutes after being there. We work hard for our lifestyle here and we are fed up
with struggling against tax, government laws etc. to have it. All we want is a safer
and better environment for us and our kids and we are willing to try anything to get
it even if it means moving to the other side of the world. So why should we struggle
on here, unhappy, when we have the opportunity and ambition to try elswhere? Yes, we
may be whinging poms but I'm sure we won't be whinging once we get out there as we
are willing to give it a bloody good try and all we say is at least the sun will be
shining more than here so that will make all the difference.

Cheers for listening

Mandy, PS keep your chins up it will be all worth the wait in the end.

Old Mar 18th 2002, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

lizzie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: whinging pom!

Well said Mandy!

We have struggled with the leaving family behind bit (my parents only have me nearby and the cherished 3 grandchildren) so I have major guilt/hangups. Our reasons are much the same (if we are successful - NZ not Oz) - we just want a better life for our children too, we've become really sick of the way this country is going and the job ops. are dwindling so now is the time to get out and try something new.

This site proves we're not alone in wanting this!

Best of luck for the future!

Lizzie
Old Mar 18th 2002, 6:32 pm
ndaltonb

Mandy,

Just to let you know, taking your kids will be one of the best things you do for them. Why do I say that? I was taken away as a kid and wondering why on earth I came back and why I've stuck it out here so long.

Spent most of my childhood (16 years) in South Africa. Parents left UK because they got the hell. I've been back here 13 years and can't wait to get to Aus. I've honestly tried to make a go of it, but can't stand the small houses and closed spaces. Even the sky seems lower.

Benefits for kids.
- you can choose your friends, can't choose family
- outdoor lifestyle
- sea sun and sand
- sport where winning means something
- a real garden!!!
etc.

Go for it and have a great time.

Nigel db

Originally posted by Mandy Bale
....why
we won't be missing our family and our life here too much, as I didn't really
appreciate some people on here saying its a bad idea and you shouldn't take your kids
away from family

Old Mar 18th 2002, 7:35 pm
Alsgal

Mandy,

Also to let you know that I agree that you are doing the right thing.

We relocatted from South Africa to Scotland 3 years ago and cannot wait to finalise
our application to get moving again.

We have 3 kids and all except for the youngest (who dosent understand what is going
on) is looking forward to another change in their life. We all miss the wide open
spaces and blue skies which come with the sunshine and warmth. My 2 older boys miss
doing the sports which they loved in South Africa and spending time on the beach or
in the swimming pool in the back yard.

Keep your chin up and do what you think is right for you and your family.

Yes we have less crime here (Fife, Scotland) than we did in South Africa but is it
worth having a couch potato family syndrome? I have started thinking not and this is
why we are wanting to make the move again.

To all of you out there who are going through the process - hang tight. I did it 3
years ago and hope to be doing it again within the next 2. Yes there is normally a
large monetary loss but at the end its all worth it.

All the best, Paula

"ndaltonb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Mandy,
    >
    > Just to let you know, taking your kids will be one of the best things you do for
    > them. Why do I say that? I was taken away as a kid and wondering why on earth I
    > came back and why I've stuck it out here so long.
    >
    > Spent most of my childhood (16 years) in South Africa. Parents left UK because they
    > got the hell. I've been back here 13 years and can't wait to get to Aus. I've
    > honestly tried to make a go of it, but can't stand the small houses and closed
    > spaces. Even the sky seems lower.
    >
    > Benefits for kids.
    > - you can choose your friends, can't choose family
    > - outdoor lifestyle
    > - sea sun and sand
    > - sport where winning means something
    > - a real garden!!! etc.
    >
    > Go for it and have a great time.
    >
    > Nigel db
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > ndaltonb
    >
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Mar 18th 2002, 11:37 pm
Non-addicted member!

garrisondamn will become famous soon enoughgarrisondamn will become famous soon enough

Well it looks like everyone has the same reasons really, me too, I am one of the lucky ones with a NZ PR visa in my passport!

I'm going with my wife & step son (no, its not a cowboy hat!) we want a change in our life, it really boils down to the fact that you're only here once (we think) and as far as money's concerned, you can't take it with you, it's your life, it's up to you to make it the best you can, those people who say " the grass ain't any greener over there" etc. etc. have they been??????

I might come back, who knows, but at least i gave it a go!!!

Good luck everyone & don't let the bastards grind ya down!!
Old Mar 19th 2002, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

Magwired is just really niceMagwired is just really niceMagwired is just really niceMagwired is just really niceMagwired is just really niceMagwired is just really niceMagwired is just really niceMagwired is just really nice

Originally posted by ndaltonb
Spent most of my childhood (16 years) in South Africa. Parents left UK because they got the hell. I've been back here 13 years and can't wait to get to Aus. I've honestly tried to make a go of it, but can't stand the small houses and closed spaces. Even the sky seems lower.
Would you ever consider moving back to South Africa if you can't get into Australia?
Old Mar 19th 2002, 10:35 am
Sandy Cruden

--

"alsgal" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:UYrl8.2376$k%[email protected]...
    > Mandy,
    >
    > Also to let you know that I agree that you are doing the right thing.
    >
    > We relocatted from South Africa to Scotland 3 years ago and cannot wait to finalise
    > our application to get moving again.
    >
    > We have 3 kids and all except for the youngest (who dosent understand what is going
    > on) is looking forward to another change in their life. We all miss the wide open
    > spaces and blue skies which come with the
sunshine
    > and warmth. My 2 older boys miss doing the sports which they loved in South Africa
    > and spending time on the beach or in the swimming pool in the back yard.
    >
    > Keep your chin up and do what you think is right for you and your family.
    >
    > Yes we have less crime here (Fife, Scotland) than we did in South Africa
but
    > is it worth having a couch potato family syndrome? I have started
thinking
    > not and this is why we are wanting to make the move again.
    >
    > To all of you out there who are going through the process - hang tight. I did it 3
    > years ago and hope to be doing it again within the next 2. Yes there is normally a
    > large monetary loss but at the end its all worth it.
    >
    > All the best, Paula
    >
    >
Hi Paula

I grew up in Kirkcaldy Fife and my father took us to Australia as migrants many
years ago. Our family never looked back. Australia is one of the best countries in
the world.

Good luck to you

Sandy

Old Mar 19th 2002, 12:35 pm
Devnull

Yes, this is one of the main reason we want to move. We have 4 kids and are fed up
with them staying indoors for 9 months of the year because it is too wet or cold.
It's even worse when they have friends round and everyone is quarrelling over the TV
and generally stressing out their mother with the huge amounts of mess they make. I
mean what kind of life is that?

Kids should play outside.

Australia is sunny, spacious, has a western style culture and speaks English. Yippee!
There's got to be more to life than having a better BMW that your neighbour.

--
devnull

"alsgal" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:UYrl8.2376$k%[email protected]...
    > is it worth having a couch potato family syndrome? I have started
thinking
    > not and this is why we are wanting to make the move again.

Old Mar 19th 2002, 12:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

sophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nice

It's great to see like minded people on here. I have been desperately wanting to leave the UK for as long as I can remember and my husbands finally got his spouse visa stamped in his passport and we are almost ready to go.

I have had the same stresses about taking my 2 year old son away from family but have come to the same conclusion as all of the above...the wide open spaces, warmth and chilled out lifestyle is how I want to bring my son up....not in the rat race that is the UK...I'm sick of trying to keep up with the Joneses....lifes way too short to even bother....just do what you think will make you happy in your heart and you won't go far wrong (hell, that's how I look at it anyway!!).

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE and perhaps we'll bump into each other over there (hmmm come to think of it, we probably won't with all that wide open space!!).

sophia x
Old Mar 19th 2002, 6:06 pm
Terry R Brookin

> Yes, this is one of the main reason we want to move. We have 4 kids and
are
    > fed up with them staying indoors for 9 months of the year because it is
too
    > wet or cold. Australia is sunny, spacious, has a western style culture and speaks
    > English.

And has 7 out of ten of the most dangerous snakes in the world, not to mention
various spiders, bluebottles etc, then these the great big holein the Ozone
layer...

--
Regards -Terry

Old Mar 19th 2002, 6:33 pm
ndaltonb

Good question.

Simple answer is nope. Already have plan B and C in my back pocket. There is the whole world to explore.

I wasn't born in SA, also I don't think you can recreate an old life. Things move on. My parents took me to SA, I'm choosing to go to Aus.

Also, I suppose, I prefer to try new things than go back to the old.

Hope this answers the question.

Nigel db

Originally posted by Magwired

Would you ever consider moving back to South Africa if you can't get into Australia?

Old Mar 19th 2002, 11:05 pm
Russell Driver

Terry R Brooking <[email protected].> wrote in message
news:1yLl8.8587$OP.264058@stones...
    > > Yes, this is one of the main reason we want to move. We have 4 kids and
    > are
    > > fed up with them staying indoors for 9 months of the year because it is
    > too
    > > wet or cold. Australia is sunny, spacious, has a western style culture and speaks
    > > English.
    >
    > And has 7 out of ten of the most dangerous snakes in the world, not to mention
    > various spiders, bluebottles etc, then these the great big holein the Ozone
    > layer...

The nasty bitey things I can live with (we live in a fairly rural area) The sun and
skin problems are another matter.I have become very conscious of the strength and
affects of the sun here. I hope that it does not worsen for my daughter's future.

Russell

--
Luck is when the paths of preparation and opportunity cross.

Old Mar 20th 2002, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

lizzie is an unknown quantity at this point

NZ doesn't seem to have many nasty bitey things - but the hole in the ozone right above it did take the wind out of my enthusiastic sails for a while.

As very fair skinned Europeans this is definitely a consideration i.e. the grass isn't all green on the other side! If we get there the protection of our skin will just have to become a way of life - but it is something I keep putting to the back of my mind which I know is important, especially with 3 kids who I really want to enjoy the great outdoors more than they can here but not at the expense of their health.

However, I think the sort of lifestyle we stand to gain is too good an opportunity to give up. Hell, we could stay here and be miserable and end up with some cancer or other anyway but I shall certainly be investing in a good hat and filling my suitcase with the appropriate sunblock!

Lizzie
Old Mar 20th 2002, 7:05 pm
Winnie

"lizzie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > NZ doesn't seem to have many nasty bitey things - but the hole in the ozone right
    > above it did take the wind out of my enthusiastic sails for a while.

Yep, it sounds like it's something us fair ones can never forget. I'll certainly be
slip-slop-slapping with a vengeance; might as well look on the positive side and see
it as an excuse to wear hats! Oh, and I'm taking my cotton shirts with collars as the
back of the neck is the worst place...

Well worth the hassle though Winnie