Wikiposts

when we get there...?

Old Oct 26th 2004, 2:05 am
Forum Regular

sooz&abby is a jewel in the roughsooz&abby is a jewel in the roughsooz&abby is a jewel in the roughsooz&abby is a jewel in the rough
Default when we get there...?

hi just wondering if any of you can shed some light?....

if and when we get to Oz are we able to apply for credit cards etc.. presumably cause we have no credit history over there???

cheers x
Old Oct 26th 2004, 2:21 am
Potton to the Gold Coast

Rob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: when we get there...?

I would think that you would be able to get credit cards even though your credit history in the UK will not be taken into consideration.

I would say that it all depends on how much cash you are depositing inthe bank in Australia.

Originally Posted by sooz&abby

if and when we get to Oz are we able to apply for credit cards etc.. presumably cause we have no credit history over there???

cheers x
Old Oct 26th 2004, 2:22 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sooz&abby

cheers x
If you open an account while still in the UK (with say Commonwealth or HSBC) then chances are they will give you a credit card when you get to Oz. You'll probably only have a small limit but hey ho.
Old Oct 26th 2004, 3:21 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wmoore
If you open an account while still in the UK (with say Commonwealth or HSBC) then chances are they will give you a credit card when you get to Oz. You'll probably only have a small limit but hey ho.
I managed to get a credit card recently. Even though my Aus bank accoun has been open for over two years, because I am on a temporary spouse visa I had to produce evidence of 6 months employment and wages paid into the bank for that time, a letter from my landlord- they also rang him - copy of my visa, copy of the letter saying my visa would lead to PR eventually, and copies of payslips. even then, I was told that I was only getting the card because the guy in the branch had recommended me as OK because he went to school with my husband - who is an Aussie and has banked with them for 35 years, man and boy!
So beware, shop around as some places are better than others. They don't like visas or jobs that say "temporary".
Old Oct 26th 2004, 4:36 pm
Coogee Rocks

Talking Re: when we get there...?

Also take with you references from your bank manager... get as much ID as you can as soon as you get here e.g. Library card, Medicare card, Lease, Joint Bills etc...You may find when you hit aus "100 points of ID" will haunt you.

Was even asked for 3 references to hire a fridge once (more then for a job)!

I quite easily got an EFPOS card which is the equivalent of a Debit Card