When to sell the house?

Old Sep 15th 2002, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

Jamesy is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb When to sell the house?

Can anyone advise me on when the best time to sell your property is - based on experience? We will want to migrate ASAP once the residency visa is received so the thought of waiting until then to sell the property seems daunting.

Thanks

Nic n Rob
Old Sep 15th 2002, 10:00 am
Just Joined

thewilk is just really nicethewilk is just really nicethewilk is just really nicethewilk is just really nicethewilk is just really nicethewilk is just really nicethewilk is just really nicethewilk is just really nice
Default Re: When to sell the house?

HI Jamesy
Speaking from experience it would be wise to sell as soon as you receive your medical requests. It's taken us 4months up until now to sell our house due to the first buyer backing out of the deal. If you want to be out there ASAP get rid now while the market is still strong and dos at a freinds house for a bit! This way you can be sure that you'll be of in minimum time.
2/3 weeks to go
good luck.
Old Sep 15th 2002, 10:10 am
BE Enthusiast

etlniwd is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Jamesy:
Can anyone advise me on when the best time to sell your property is - based on experience? We will want to migrate ASAP once the residency visa is received so the thought of waiting until then to sell the property seems daunting.

Thanks

Nic n Rob
You don't say what type of visa you have applied for. Assuming that your application is reasonably straight forward, you should be able to estimate when your visa will come through. This should be a pointer to when you put your house on the market.

Given where you live and the current state of the housing market I would put your house up for sale as soon as possible. There are many conflicting opinions about the short-term future of the housing market in the UK. I believe prices have already peaked and will now either level off or (more likely) start to fall. You'll kick yourself if you lose a load of money by simply holding on for too long.

My house is in the process of being sold and I expect to complete in late October. It took over two months before I even had one offer. There are not that many people looking to buy at the moment - a sure sign that it will turn soon. You can always put it on the market. If your visa doesn't come through you can pull out at any time up until exchange of contracts and it won't cost you much if anything at all.

Don't underestimate how long it takes to sell a house. It can be painfully slow.

Oh, and a tip for you. Tell estate agents and potential buyers that you are emigrating. It's a good selling point because it proves you are not in a chain. BUT, don't tell them that you have to move by a certain date because that puts them in a very strong bargaining position. Just say that you will go as soon as you sell the house for the right price but that you will wait for as long as it takes.

Good luck
Old Sep 15th 2002, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

Diane is an unknown quantity at this point

We sold our house in 9 days with a home made sign outside and nothing else!! Wow it's too fast. We don't want to go till after Christmas but we will have to be out of the house mid-Novemeber. We will have to ship our stuff then too. Anyone got enough room for 4 small ones?????

Best of luck
Diane
Old Sep 15th 2002, 4:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Diane:
We sold our house in 9 days with a home made sign outside and nothing else!! Wow it's too fast. We don't want to go till after Christmas but we will have to be out of the house mid-Novemeber. We will have to ship our stuff then too. Anyone got enough room for 4 small ones?????

Best of luck
Diane
I guess you mean that you received an offer within nine days. To complete a sale in that amount of time would be some going.
Old Sep 16th 2002, 3:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Grub is an unknown quantity at this point

You can kip with us for a few days!!!
Lady came to see ours at lunch and is coming back at 6. Yikes. Am handing in notice tomorrow and we havent even heard yet.
Depends how impatient you are!!!

Best of luck
Diane
Old Sep 16th 2002, 5:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juls is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Jamesy:

Thanks

Nic n Rob
Hi ya,

We have sold our house and it's been on the market for just 4 days, what a waste of £950 wonder if we get a deduction cus the estate agents have only passed on 3 telephone calls to us. I guess NOT

We expect our medicals to be asked for in the next few weeks, they have already sent us the 80 form received it this morning!

Good luck with what you decide, my only worry is that my mum is going to either commit suicide/murder cus we'll be going to live there for a couple of months once the sales gone through.

Julie & Darren
Adelaide by early 2003
Old Sep 16th 2002, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

Diane is an unknown quantity at this point

How did the second viewing go Nicky?

It's a great feeling when you hand your notice in eh?

Good Luck
Diane
Old Sep 16th 2002, 10:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

You people who got an offer in a few days ....

... are you jumping for joy ?

.... or are you kicking yourselves for underpricing your gaff ?
Old Sep 17th 2002, 8:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Have hangover- dont feel very strong to tackle fierce boss! Offered and accepted- yipee!!!!!!!!!!!-no chain, she is coming back from working in Oz for a few years. Hurry up HC!!!! YIPEE.
WOTCHOUT PERTH- HERE WE COME

How did the second viewing go Nicky?

It's a great feeling when you hand your notice in eh?

Good Luck
Diane
Old Sep 17th 2002, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

Location: St Austell, Cornwall to 'Coff's Harbour NSW, then Adelaide - back to Cornwall- back to Oz hopefully
sue5665 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Jamesy,
We are kicking ourselves for not putting our house on the market sooner, we waited for the visa which was granted in June our only tie is our house, it has been on the market for 3 months only 2 viewers the problem is we live in St Austell, Cornwall and our house has been valued at £220,000 but the local people can not afford this. We have thought about renting it out but that will leave us short to buy when we get to Oz.
We were hoping to go to Adelaide Oct/Nov until we can sell we are stuck.It takes 8 to 12 weeks to sell so if I were you I would put it on the market you can always pull out.
Good luck.
Sue
Old Sep 18th 2002, 12:26 pm
Sampsoia

We put our house on the market at the end of June and very quickly
realised that you shouldn't bother over the holidays. We've just
accepted an offer last week (for what it's worth) and hopefully it
will complete.

I read an article in the last Sunday Times that some agencies do 75%
of their business in first four months of the year.

We've been pretty relaxed about it all and, even though we got our
visa in May, we've not making any fixed plans to head off to Brisbane
until the house is sold and there are some reasonable work prospects
on the horizon - even if it means renting for a while in London.

Cheers

Ian

Old Sep 18th 2002, 3:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thumbs down Re: When to sell the house?

Personally i wish I had done it sooner as we are approaching D-Day (hope to hear from embassy soon) and havent sold house. The offer we had, and celebrated on Monday looks like is being retracted (big downer) so are back to square one. Dont forget- you can always stall a sale, or even pull out. You cant force someone to buy in a hurry. If i had my time again i would put it on the market for a high price and sit back in the knowledge than i can afford to wait.
If anyone has been on the Oz property web sites they will know that you do see 'reduced for quick sale- owners moving' and we all now that £5,000 loss at this end is a new car in Oz.