Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

when can you apply for citizenship from 457 Visa

when can you apply for citizenship from 457 Visa

Old Dec 10th 2011, 5:18 pm
Planning for the future

Emma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of light
Question when can you apply for citizenship from 457 Visa

hello,

we will be moving out there on a 4 year contract under visa 457,when can we apply for citizenship and are there any conditions?

many thanks
Old Dec 10th 2011, 5:31 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: when can you apply for citizenship from 457 Visa

Originally Posted by Emma_Par
hello,

we will be moving out there on a 4 year contract under visa 457,when can we apply for citizenship and are there any conditions?

many thanks
You will have to get Permanent Residency before you can go for citizenship - its not possible to go straight from a 457 temp visa to become a citizen.

Have a look here for more details - http://www.citizenship.gov.au/
Old Dec 10th 2011, 5:35 pm
Planning for the future

Emma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks, I will have a look, so is there any conditions to get a permanent residency from a 457?
Old Dec 10th 2011, 6:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, I will have a look, so is there any conditions to get a permanent residency from a 457?
The 457 is a temporary visa and always will be. To get PR you need to qualify and apply for a PR visa. Options might be the skilled migrant visa or there is a permanent employer sponored visa.
Old Dec 10th 2011, 7:16 pm
Planning for the future

someone told me I could apply after being there 2 years, however someone else told me it has changed to 4 years? :s
Old Dec 10th 2011, 7:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

someone told me I could apply after being there 2 years, however someone else told me it has changed to 4 years? :s
A very common misunderstanding.

But I am afraid it is not true, you cannot just apply for PR because you have done a certain length of time on a 457 visa.

You have to find a PR visa that you qualify for and apply for it. The 457 may provide some advantages, for example if you were to apply for a skilled migrant visa then the time on 457 could bring extra points.

Or your employer might agree to sponsor for a permanent employer sponsored visa, in this case two years on the 457 means there is no need for a skills assessment. The occupation would need to be on the list for permanent employer sponsored occupations, it is a different list to the 457 sponsored occupation list.
Old Dec 10th 2011, 9:40 pm
Planning for the future

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
A very common misunderstanding.

But I am afraid it is not true, you cannot just apply for PR because you have done a certain length of time on a 457 visa.

You have to find a PR visa that you qualify for and apply for it. The 457 may provide some advantages, for example if you were to apply for a skilled migrant visa then the time on 457 could bring extra points.

Or your employer might agree to sponsor for a permanent employer sponsored visa, in this case two years on the 457 means there is no need for a skills assessment. The occupation would need to be on the list for permanent employer sponsored occupations, it is a different list to the 457 sponsored occupation list.
So should we be asking for it during conditions of the contract as my husband has worked for them for the past 15 years in the uk and they would be sponsoring us from their Australian division to work over there?
Old Dec 10th 2011, 10:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So should we be asking for it during conditions of the contract as my husband has worked for them for the past 15 years in the uk and they would be sponsoring us from their Australian division to work over there?
Is your husband's occupation on the ENSOL list? i.e. is it eligible for permanent employer sponsored? If it is on the ENSOL then if your husband got a skills assessment he might be able to apply for the permanent visa straight off.

It would be a slower process than the 457 process (due to the need to get skills assessment) which might put off the employer, however as he has worked there for 15 years there might be some goodwill he can call upon.
Old Dec 10th 2011, 10:32 pm
Planning for the future

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Is your husband's occupation on the ENSOL list? i.e. is it eligible for permanent employer sponsored? If it is on the ENSOL then if your husband got a skills assessment he might be able to apply for the permanent visa straight off.

It would be a slower process than the 457 process (due to the need to get skills assessment) which might put off the employer, however as he has worked there for 15 years there might be some goodwill he can call upon.
Humm will have to have a look at list, you have been very informative bermudashorts thanks
Old Dec 12th 2011, 8:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Chortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of light

I came over on 457, got employer sponsored PR and we have just been granted citizenship - as I remember you need at least 4 years in total to qualify for citizenship - 1 of which must have been at PR - your 457 time counts towards total time