British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   wheelchair user seeking tourist visa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/wheelchair-user-seeking-tourist-visa-667534/)

lulubaby May 9th 2010 9:32 pm

wheelchair user seeking tourist visa

Hi everyone :) My 57yr old husband is a wheelchair user and has applied for a Tourist Visa 676 subclass. He attended a Panel Doctor for a medical as requested. He then submitted the results, now he has been asked to have a 2nd Medical to make sure he is not going to be a burden on the state etc. He's been told he needs to have a 'Geriatrician's Report' medical.

He has weak legs due to MS and uses a wheelchair most of the time. Other than using a wheelchair he leads a normal life, he is independant and also drives using 'hand controls' in our car.
We also fly to Europe a couple of times a year on holidays without any problems. We always make sure we have adequate travel insurance in place. I am always with my husband when we travel.
We are from the UK and are hoping to visit our son and his family in Australia this year for a maximum of 6 weeks holiday. I already have my visa granted.

Just wondered if anyone else has been in this situation and can give us any advice please?

Are there any other wheelchair users out there who have gone through the process and got their tourist visa in the end? It all seems so stressful at the moment. :unsure:

Many Thanks in advance for any advice. :)
Kindest Regards, LB

shears May 9th 2010 10:49 pm

Re: wheelchair user seeking tourist visa

Wow LB that sounds a bit extreme - 2 medicals for a tourist visa? Hopefully one of the kind agents who post on the forum will be along with some advice.

cheers
shears :)

JAJ May 9th 2010 11:09 pm

Already asked and answered ... were the previous answers not good enough?
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=660764

lulubaby May 10th 2010 5:54 am

Originally Posted by shears (Post 8553980)
Wow LB that sounds a bit extreme - 2 medicals for a tourist visa? Hopefully one of the kind agents who post on the forum will be along with some advice.

cheers
shears :)

Hi Shears, yes, thats what we thought, maybe they think we want to emigrate to Oz instead of just visit, thanks for your input though, much appreciated.
Best Regards, LB :)

lulubaby May 10th 2010 6:01 am

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 8554002)
Already asked and answered ... were the previous answers not good enough?
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=660764

No need for sarcasm JAJ, I was only asking as there may have been some new postings on the subject since I last asked some questions.
My new question was - Just wondered if anyone else has been in this situation and can give us any advice please?

and - Are there any other wheelchair users out there who have gone through the process and got their tourist visa in the end?

Many Thanks and Best Regards, LB

Kingseat May 10th 2010 7:56 am

Without sounding rude, are you sure you have applied for the correct visa? You would be covered by travel insurance (well, I would have thought so anyway) for any medical treatment required.

I've seen plenty of people getting on and off planes too and from Australia with disabilities.

Bermudashorts May 10th 2010 8:11 am

Originally Posted by Kingseat (Post 8554589)
Without sounding rude, are you sure you have applied for the correct visa? You would be covered by travel insurance (well, I would have thought so anyway) for any medical treatment required.

I've seen plenty of people getting on and off planes too and from Australia with disabilities.

It would be outrageous if Australia restricted wheelchair users from visiting the country as tourists and I feel confident that no humane country would do that. For that reason I am also sure OP has followed the wrong process and made things unnecessarily difficult, trouble is not sure what they can do now to fix it.

:(

lulubaby May 10th 2010 8:28 am

Originally Posted by Kingseat (Post 8554589)

Hi there, Many Thanks for your reply, most helpful. :)
We were told by the London office this was the correct visa to apply for as my husband has MS and yes, good travel insurance would be in place before our travels.

We just have to follow the process now and see what happens.......Fingers crossed......:fingerscrossed:

lulubaby May 10th 2010 8:33 am

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 8554614)
It would be outrageous if Australia restricted wheelchair users from visiting the country as tourists and I feel confident that no humane country would do that. For that reason I am also sure OP has followed the wrong process and made things unnecessarily difficult, trouble is not sure what they can do now to fix it.

:(

Hi BS, it does seem that way, but the London office told us this was the correct visa to apply for when we phoned them to ask.

If hubby does get the visa eventually, when we next decide to visit Australia we will go through an agent.
Many Thanks & Best Regards......LB:)

Colin Drain May 11th 2010 9:29 am

Originally Posted by lulubaby (Post 8554653)
Hi BS, it does seem that way, but the London office told us this was the correct visa to apply for when we phoned them to ask.

If hubby does get the visa eventually, when we next decide to visit Australia we will go through an agent.
Many Thanks & Best Regards......LB:)

Have you tried speaking to DIAC or the Health Centre, maybe by talking it over to a human being you will identify whether any mistakes have been made.

And you certainly don't need to waste money on an agent next time you come to visit Mum, just get an ETA!!

lulubaby May 11th 2010 9:50 am

Hi Colin, Have emailed the HOC in Australia twice in the last few days, both replies say a second medical must be completed for further tests and both replies were from different people in the HOC.
Also contacted the London office (again) they say the same........oh well....never mind......here we go again ;)
Talk to you soon :)

lulubaby Jun 8th 2010 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by lulubaby (Post 8553880)
Hi everyone :) My 57yr old husband is a wheelchair user and has applied for a Tourist Visa 676 subclass. He attended a Panel Doctor for a medical as requested. He then submitted the results, now he has been asked to have a 2nd Medical to make sure he is not going to be a burden on the state etc. He's been told he needs to have a 'Geriatrician's Report' medical.

He has weak legs due to MS and uses a wheelchair most of the time. Other than using a wheelchair he leads a normal life, he is independant and also drives using 'hand controls' in our car.
We also fly to Europe a couple of times a year on holidays without any problems. We always make sure we have adequate travel insurance in place. I am always with my husband when we travel.
We are from the UK and are hoping to visit our son and his family in Australia this year for a maximum of 6 weeks holiday. I already have my visa granted.

Just wondered if anyone else has been in this situation and can give us any advice please?

Are there any other wheelchair users out there who have gone through the process and got their tourist visa in the end? It all seems so stressful at the moment. :unsure:

Many Thanks in advance for any advice. :)
Kindest Regards, LB

:thumbsup: GOOD NEWS!!! :thumbsup:

Hubby's Tourist Visa APPROVED TODAY!!!
Applied on 23rd March.....took a while but got there in the end. :D
Thanks to everyone for all your help. Much appreciated! ;)
All the Best, LB ......:thumbup:

Bermudashorts Jun 8th 2010 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by lulubaby (Post 8620424)

Very very glad to hear that.

Enjoy your trip.

lulubaby Jun 8th 2010 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 8620455)
Very very glad to hear that.

Enjoy your trip.

Thanks BS :) I'm sure we will, can't wait to get flights booked now! :thumbup:

Pollyana Jun 9th 2010 3:04 am

Originally Posted by lulubaby (Post 8620424)

:thumbsup: