Wikiposts

What's making you leave the UK???

Old Apr 10th 2003, 2:31 am
BE Enthusiast

65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice
Default What's making you leave the UK???

Would be interested to hear peoples opinions of why they are leaving for Aus/Nz.

For myself its a combination of bad weather, conjestion, polution and the opportunity to live in a far superior house to what I could ever possibly afford her in the uk.

Whats your reason for leaving?.
Old Apr 10th 2003, 2:37 am
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice
Default Re: What's making you leave the UK???

Originally posted by 65 million
Would be interested to hear peoples opinions of why they are leaving for Aus/Nz.

For myself its a combination of bad weather, conjestion, polution and the opportunity to live in a far superior house to what I could ever possibly afford her in the uk.

Exact same question came up recently Do a search under 'leaving the UK' or similar and you will get a fair selection of answers (on the Culture Forum) I think
Old Apr 10th 2003, 3:03 am
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light

For me it's mainly the weather, but also the lifestyle. It is far too hectic living in the UK.
Old Apr 10th 2003, 3:09 am
Rob

In 65 million wrote:
    >
    > Would be interested to hear peoples opinions of why they are leaving
    > for Aus/Nz.
    >
    > For myself its a combination of bad weather, conjestion, polution and
    > the opportunity to live in a far superior house to what I could ever
    > possibly afford her in the uk.
    >
    > Whats your reason for leaving?.

The weather is a key factor for me. It's ironic that the sun
has hardly stopped shining here in South Wales for the last
6 weeks and I'll be headed for a South Australia winter 5
weeks from now.

The other key factor is an improvement in lifestyle. A lot
of that will be dependent on me actually making the effort
to enjoy what's on offer, but I'm confident I can do that
in a warmer/cleaner/friendlier/less crowded place. I'm
definitely a happier person when the weather's good.

Old Apr 10th 2003, 3:12 am
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Same here really. but i want my kids to have the best opportunities and to see their dad more than a few hours on a sunday. I am not saying it will be perfect out there but the advantages outweight the disadvantages.

I have lived here all my life and feel like a second class citizen and it is far worse in other places. but i have had enough this town is not big enough anymore.

footie chick
Old Apr 10th 2003, 3:32 am
TOB
Forum Regular

TOB is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I feel the same as you as well as having two young children that I think could have a better life. Also lost my mum to cancer last year (aged 49) and decided that life's to short to sit around wondering what if. The world is a big place and we need to see as much of in in our short lives. Decided to take the bull by the horns and go for it. If it doesn't work we'll come back, at least we can say we tried. What have we got to lose?

TOB

Old Apr 10th 2003, 4:55 am
Just Joined

burngreavejoy is an unknown quantity at this point

Our main reason for leaving UK is because we can. Under the visa system we are too old - late 40's to be considered, but am now able to go because i'm aussie citizen by descent. I feel very privaledged and relieved that i will not grow old in this country. I fear crime, poverty and being trapped in my home for long periods of time due to weather, finances or being regarded as a non-person. I know this all sounds dreary, but what do we look forward to when we are pensioners? I feel that Brisbane will give me a quality of life that cannot be achieved here no matter how hard I work.

Won't it be nice if everyone achieves their dream.
Old Apr 10th 2003, 5:00 am
Forum Regular

NJFOZ is an unknown quantity at this point

My wife and I spent a long time thinking about all the reasons why we want to leave the UK. This made us feel very negative and depressed. Its much better to focus on the positive reasons why you want to go to Oz. This is a much happier frame of mind especially when you are waiting for that visa to come along.

We are heading for Melbourne as soon as we get the visa hopefully before Sept before the kids start another school year.

Last edited by NJFOZ; Apr 10th 2003 at 5:03 am.
Old Apr 10th 2003, 5:28 am
Forum Regular

gbarker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default reasons for leaving the UK

Firstly the weather, secondly the congestion, thirdly the possibility of having a house without a mortgage, and finally, British politicians (Tony Blair for a start) and the fact that I don't want to become just another state of America or go to war with anyone who doesn't agree with our point of view!
Old Apr 10th 2003, 5:42 am
BE Enthusiast

andie is an unknown quantity at this point

dont like snow in april, bloody freezing cold today. brissy here we come.................... june 1st............
Old Apr 10th 2003, 5:50 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: reasons for leaving the UK

Originally posted by gbarker
Firstly the weather, secondly the congestion, thirdly the possibility of having a house without a mortgage, and finally, British politicians (Tony Blair for a start) and the fact that I don't want to become just another state of America or go to war with anyone who doesn't agree with our point of view!
You forget that Australia also has a starring role in the show of the coalition of the willing... And the Aussie PM has reserved the right to launch pre-emptive strikes in this region *.

Peter

* As a last resort.
Old Apr 10th 2003, 6:11 am
Just Joined

lindy is an unknown quantity at this point

The outdoors. These last few weeks having a bit of sunshine and watching how happy the kids are outside after being cooped up for months on end. The one morning they were dressed, teeth and hair done and on their bikes by 6.30am in the garden--I wasn't too chuffed with them, but just confirmed that we are doing the right thing for them and also for our sanity, can't stand the thought of god knows how many more years of having to use indoor play areas coz its its cold wet and miserable!!!!!!!!!!
Old Apr 10th 2003, 6:14 am
Forum Regular

BCBOY is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by gbarker
and the fact that I don't want to become just another state of America or go to war with anyone who doesn't agree with our point of view!

Why go to Australia then? They had 2000 troops involved in war. Also I would have to say that Australia is far more 'americanised'...I'm not saying this is either a good or a bad thing, but large swathes of australian life are dominated by american culture.
Old Apr 10th 2003, 8:35 am
Finally back home

sally1968 is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by BCBOY
Why go to Australia then? They had 2000 troops involved in war. Also I would have to say that Australia is far more 'americanised'...I'm not saying this is either a good or a bad thing, but large swathes of australian life are dominated by american culture.
I have to say this is very true. My mum, a born and bred aussie, came back 2 weeks ago and said the very same thing.

Australia is far more American than European. But i suppose if most of us wanted european we would stay in the UK.

Back to original thread, For us it's the better quality of life in general. Don't expect for one minute that we will be better off financially but there is far more to do that costs little or nothing. Before PB and the like run me down, my sister is touring at present and i know from the things she has told me that there is plenty to do if you just get off your backside!!
Old Apr 10th 2003, 10:26 am
Springbok

Australia has a lot of the same problems as the UK (I know because I
lived there) ie: crime, pollution, yobbish youth, drugs, graffitti,
failing pensions, crumbling health service etc. What they don't have
is a rat race (maybe Sydney) like here & for us that is the reason
that we are going (& the fact that we can build our own house on the
Indian Ocean without a mortgage). Also I look at the kids in the UK &
don't want my son to grow up like them (rude, ignorant, loutish). I
grew up in South Africa & would love to live back there as it a much
nicer place than Australia, but it's got it's own big problems. The UK
is a great place, it has got a lot going for it, but I don't want to
grow old here, so Australia here we come.

Tony

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.