What are you taking

Old Aug 24th 2002, 1:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ginny is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What are you taking

Hello to you all (those near to departure),

I've a quick question. Does anyone know roughly about the cost of shipping from the UK to OZ?

I'm not sure wether it's going to be worth taking everything or just selected items. The one thing we will be taking are the kids toys, if not all hell will break loose.

I've heard conflicting advice about taking our TV. Can anyone enlighten me.

Thanks in advance

Ginny

Old Aug 24th 2002, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

kango_jack will become famous soon enoughkango_jack will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What are you taking

Originally posted by Ginny:
Hello to you all (those near to departure),

I've a quick question. Does anyone know roughly about the cost of shipping from the UK to OZ?

I'm not sure wether it's going to be worth taking everything or just selected items. The one thing we will be taking are the kids toys, if not all hell will break loose.

I've heard conflicting advice about taking our TV. Can anyone enlighten me.

Thanks in advance

Ginny

We have been asking ourselves a similar question, and decided that as it is about £3k for the container plus insurance that we would make sure we have enough to fill the container.
OK so all our furnature probably isn't worth that much but we didn't want to have purchase everything when we first get there, especially as we will only be renting at first. We can then buy any essentials straight away (like our bed) and replace the rest once we've found the house of our dreams....
Also houses are big over there so you need something to go in the rooms!!!
As other people have mentioned it will be good to have familar things when you first get there especially if you have children as it will be unsettling enough - at least their own bed etc might help.
Annie
Old Aug 24th 2002, 8:12 pm
Pat
Forum Regular

Pat is an unknown quantity at this point

Will shortly be moving to a little country town north of Melbourne once the house sale finally goes through and we are using acompany called Doree Bonner to move all our stuff. We have booked what is known as a Non Operational Refridgerated container (NOR) which is about 20 foot long - size of a single garage. This is costing £3000 door to door plus insurance which is 3% off the declared value of the goods. I got quotes and visits from five different companies including Pickford and they were all within 2-3 hundred pounds in price. I choose this company because without doubt the salesman who visited was so knowledgeable about custom regs fees etc and basically he only only deals with OZ and NZ. They will deliver the container to my house and pack everything threre and then over two days and then it is custom sealed. It takes 6-7 weeks to arrive in Melbourne where it is checked by OZ customs and then shipped to our new home in Shepparton by Grace Brothers(a very reputable firm). They will also unpack it and take away all the wrapping etc. If your interested they are based in Dartford and cover the whole Southeast. Hope this helps. Pat
Old Aug 25th 2002, 9:15 am
We arrived november 2004

kentcoast is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Pat:
This is costing £3000 door to door plus insurance which is 3% off the declared value of the goods.
Hi Pat,

Is 3k + Ins the 'bottom line' or are customs clearances, duties etc extra?

Perry
Old Aug 25th 2002, 3:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't worry too much about the children feeling "unsettled" and needing their own beds. After all they have to sleep in different beds when you go away on holiday. We let ours (aged 7,9 & 11) pack rucksacks to take on the plane with favourite books and teddies, then took them into Toys R Us here to buy them some new toys and books as a treat. Also a PlayStation 2 which we had promised them. They don't appear to be missing the UK at all yet! They are looking forward to the rest of their stuff arriving but didn't get upset over not seeing any of it again for a long time.

As to shipping costs, we decided not to bring any furniture and are starting again from scratch. Some of our stuff was over 15 years old though, so it's nice being able to start afresh. Furniture here is a lot cheaper, likewise TV's and videos. We've also just been on a big shopping spree this weekend at the local DIY store to replace all the garden tools that we sold, and can't believe how cheap everything is. We didn't have enough to fill a container, only enough to fill one-third I think, that cost 1500 pounds, but the insurance added another 900 pounds to that.
Old Aug 25th 2002, 5:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jacqui:
I wouldn't worry too much about the children feeling "unsettled" and needing their own beds. After all they have to sleep in different beds when you go away on holiday. We let ours (aged 7,9 & 11) pack rucksacks to take on the plane with favourite books and teddies, then took them into Toys R Us here to buy them some new toys and books as a treat. Also a PlayStation 2 which we had promised them. They don't appear to be missing the UK at all yet! They are looking forward to the rest of their stuff arriving but didn't get upset over not seeing any of it again for a long time.

As to shipping costs, we decided not to bring any furniture and are starting again from scratch. Some of our stuff was over 15 years old though, so it's nice being able to start afresh. Furniture here is a lot cheaper, likewise TV's and videos. We've also just been on a big shopping spree this weekend at the local DIY store to replace all the garden tools that we sold, and can't believe how cheap everything is. We didn't have enough to fill a container, only enough to fill one-third I think, that cost 1500 pounds, but the insurance added another 900 pounds to that. [/QUOTE

Hi Jacqui
So was the cost of everything you did ship out £1500? or would that have been the cost of shipping what you did have shipped out , but didnt , if you get my drift , sorry!!
We have had a couple of quotes for £1515 for half a container, advice gratefully appreciated.
Joanne
Old Aug 25th 2002, 9:14 pm
Pat
Forum Regular

Pat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by kentcoast:

Hi Pat,

Is 3k + Ins the 'bottom line' or are customs clearances, duties etc extra?

Perry
Perry, just looked at my quote and it is £3100 plus insurance at 3% of the goods value. The only customs fee not included is one for about £300. Apparently OZ customs pick one container in about 20 to search etc and if its yours they pick they charge you a fee for it of £350 approx for the privelidge. Also no steam cleaning fees etc as I am leaving anything even slightly soily behind. Doree Bonners price included all storage charges and port fees which others didn't. Let me know how you get on ,Pat
Old Aug 25th 2002, 11:20 pm
Forum Regular

Thomas will become famous soon enough

Hi Jacqui,
Would you be able to post the details about the shopping. It would be quite helpful. Like the cost of furniture, itemwise, cost of TV, VCR and other electronics alongwith the shop names.

This would really help us decide what to take and what to leave behind.

Cheers.

Originally posted by Jacqui:

As to shipping costs, we decided not to bring any furniture and are starting again from scratch. Some of our stuff was over 15 years old though, so it's nice being able to start afresh. Furniture here is a lot cheaper, likewise TV's and videos. We've also just been on a big shopping spree this weekend at the local DIY store to replace all the garden tools that we sold, and can't believe how cheap everything is. We didn't have enough to fill a container, only enough to fill one-third I think, that cost 1500 pounds, but the insurance added another 900 pounds to that.
Old Aug 27th 2002, 10:02 am
Ian Guy

TV's here in NZ they are the sam (I believe) as Ozzie. If they have a SCART plug they
will produce a picture and sound via an Oz video or Sky receiver. If not you may just
get a picture.

Wardrobes - we should have sold ours, they are all built in. Buy lots of extension
leads so you can use everything that has a moulded UK plug (e.g your pc!)

"Thomas" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi Jacqui, Would you be able to post the details about the shopping. It would be
    > quite helpful. Like the cost of furniture, itemwise, cost of TV, VCR and other
    > electronics alongwith the shop names.
    > This would really help us decide what to take and what to leave behind.
    > Cheers.
    > Originally posted by Jacqui:
    > > I wouldn't worry too much about the children feeling "unsettled" and needing
    > > their own beds. After all they have to sleep in different beds when you go away
    > > on holiday. We let ours (aged 7,9 & 11) pack rucksacks to take on the plane with
    > > favourite books and teddies, then took them into Toys R Us here to buy them some
    > > new toys and books as a treat. Also a PlayStation 2 which we had promised them.
    > > They don't appear to be missing the UK at all yet! They are looking forward to
    > > the rest of their stuff arriving but didn't get upset over not seeing any of it
    > > again for a long time.
    > >
    > As to shipping costs, we decided not to bring any furniture and are starting again
    > from scratch. Some of our stuff was over 15 years old though, so it's nice being
    > able to start afresh. Furniture here is a lot cheaper, likewise TV's and videos.
    > We've also just been on a big shopping spree this weekend at the local DIY store to
    > replace all the garden tools that we sold, and can't believe how cheap everything
    > is. We didn't have enough to fill a container, only enough to fill one-third I
    > think, that cost 1500 pounds, but the insurance added another 900 pounds to that.
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Aug 28th 2002, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

kitkatz is an unknown quantity at this point

I was packed up on Friday - basically left most of the furniture except my favourite bits. All the rest, ornaments, kitchenware, linen, tv's, computer, clothes etc ie. 78 Cartons plus the car came to about £2800 plus insurance at 2.5% for household goods, and 1.75% for car. All I should have to pay on the other side is customs etc on the car.
Old Aug 28th 2002, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by kitkatz:
I was packed up on Friday - basically left most of the furniture except my favourite bits. All the rest, ornaments, kitchenware, linen, tv's, computer, clothes etc ie. 78 Cartons plus the car came to about £2800 plus insurance at 2.5% for household goods, and 1.75% for car. All I should have to pay on the other side is customs etc on the car.
Hi Kitkatz
Who have you used for your removals? Sounds a good price to me !!!
Joanne