Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

what supporting documents needed to prove someon as your SPOUSE

what supporting documents needed to prove someon as your SPOUSE

Old Aug 4th 2008, 5:09 am
BE Enthusiast

flair002 has a brilliant futureflair002 has a brilliant futureflair002 has a brilliant futureflair002 has a brilliant futureflair002 has a brilliant futureflair002 has a brilliant futureflair002 has a brilliant future
Default what supporting documents needed to prove someon as your SPOUSE

dear alll
i have filed my SPOUSE immi with my application (same appliation, samee fees) and attached "marriage certificate" as a proof of living together. we dont have a joint bank account as we never felt a need for it. should we get it openend???? also the PCC, medicals, Passport all have my SPOUSE address same as mine where we live. is this proof enough or the CO mite ask anything else . please help so that we can arrange it beforehand
cheers
Old Aug 4th 2008, 10:37 am
blondie

BB and LG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: what supporting documents needed to prove someon as your SPOUSE

Hi,
I'm not sure if that will be enough, but when I submitted mine, (we do have a joint bank account), but we also supplied copies of utility bills showing names and our address. We also submitted copies of letters and envelopes, car insurance certificates, again showing our names and address. I would have to go through the copies I saved to give you more but this might give you an idea of what was accepted for me, as my Visa was granted last New Years Eve!
Old Aug 4th 2008, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

lovelyshine is a jewel in the roughlovelyshine is a jewel in the roughlovelyshine is a jewel in the roughlovelyshine is a jewel in the roughlovelyshine is a jewel in the rough

I'm confused. Wouldn't a marriage certificate be enough? My boyfriend and I are considering getting married so he can easily go as spouse. If so much is needed, we might as well just do de facto.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 7:41 am
blondie

Hi,
I would be very surprised if a marriage certificate just on it's own would suffice. You have to provide additional evidence of a shared life together, i.e financial commitments. social aspects etc etc. This is to make it a more difficult for a person to marry someone else, just to get a visa, so they can get into Australia.
The 'Partner Migration Booklet' listed on the immi site, details all the points you need to evidence, so if your relationship in genuine, applying for a de facto visa might be route to take.
Hope this helps!
Old Aug 5th 2008, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

lovelyshine is a jewel in the roughlovelyshine is a jewel in the roughlovelyshine is a jewel in the roughlovelyshine is a jewel in the roughlovelyshine is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for sharing. We will just stick to de facto then since we have all the evidence we need (I think!).

The only tricky part is we haven't been physically together for the last 7 months due to visa restrictions and work commitment. He did come visit for 2 weeks during this 7 months though.

Sorry for asking about something else on this thread. Please carry on the original topic.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 8:54 am
BE Enthusiast

flair002 has a brilliant futureflair002 has a brilliant futureflair002 has a brilliant futureflair002 has a brilliant futureflair002 has a brilliant futureflair002 has a brilliant futureflair002 has a brilliant future

acccording to DIMIA, the one year restriction is for de factor partner...... not for spouse... AM I RIGHT???????????
i got married on 3rd november 2007 and filed on 31 jan 2008... we were not married for one year but by the time we get proceesssed, we ll b married for one year/.....
also i have just given marriage certificates although i have all the pics etc....
will be opening a joint account soonnn... hope this wud b enufff as this is not a de facto relationship ,,.,, its a spouse..
please help
Old Aug 5th 2008, 9:55 am
blondie

Hi,
Yes, the one year restriction is for de facto and interdependent visa, not the spouse visa.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 9:58 am
blondie

To Lovelyshine,
This is an extract from the immi site.

Living together

Living together is regarded as a common element in most on-going relationships and is one of the criteria prescribed in the Migration Regulations. Partners who are currently not living together may be required to demonstrate a high level of proof that they are not living separately and apart on a permanent basis.

Hope that helps to answer your question.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BB and LG
To Lovelyshine,
This is an extract from the immi site.

Living together

Living together is regarded as a common element in most on-going relationships and is one of the criteria prescribed in the Migration Regulations. Partners who are currently not living together may be required to demonstrate a high level of proof that they are not living separately and apart on a permanent basis.

Hope that helps to answer your question.
Thanks BB!
Old Aug 5th 2008, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

lee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nice

We had to get married to satisfy them for a student visa other wise it would have been refused as the only evidence of me living there would have been voters role and doctors reference, got married a month before we applied and it was fine.

There were no bills in my name or any joint accounts, the Mrs basically had my Bank Card and paid everything with that.

Think lots of people live like this now.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

slippery30 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by lovelyshine
I'm confused. Wouldn't a marriage certificate be enough? My boyfriend and I are considering getting married so he can easily go as spouse. If so much is needed, we might as well just do de facto.
well i think this information is not correct..

my visa was approved two days ago...and all i submitted was a "marriage certificate"...no bankstatements..no pictures..no rentagreement..no mortgage papers...no testimonials from friends..

hope it helps
Old Aug 5th 2008, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

slippery30 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by flair002
dear alll
i have filed my SPOUSE immi with my application (same appliation, samee fees) and attached "marriage certificate" as a proof of living together. we dont have a joint bank account as we never felt a need for it. should we get it openend???? also the PCC, medicals, Passport all have my SPOUSE address same as mine where we live. is this proof enough or the CO mite ask anything else . please help so that we can arrange it beforehand
cheers
Hi..
Marriage certificate is more than enough...i didnt submitt anything else..

not sure how passport can have address...never seen a passport in my life which details street addresses... ....
Old Aug 5th 2008, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by slippery30
well i think this information is not correct..

my visa was approved two days ago...and all i submitted was a "marriage certificate"...no bankstatements..no pictures..no rentagreement..no mortgage papers...no testimonials from friends..

hope it helps
Yah that's what I thought. I thought a marriage certificate would have been enough. I was surprised when others said that more evidence was needed.

Last edited by lovelyshine; Aug 5th 2008 at 5:23 pm.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 10:30 am
blondie

Originally Posted by lovelyshine
Yah that's what I thought. I thought a marriage certificate would have been enough. I was surprised when others said that more evidence was needed.
Details on page 39 and 40 within the Partner Migration Booklet, as can be found on the www.immi.gov.au site, is why 'others' suggested, that they would be 'surprised' if a marriage certificate alone would suffice.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 11:23 am
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by slippery30
Hi..
Marriage certificate is more than enough...i didnt submitt anything else..

not sure how passport can have address...never seen a passport in my life which details street addresses... ....
Where you fill in the back in case of emergency or whatever it is, put your partners name with the same address and vice versa.......