British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   what supporting documents needed to prove someon as your SPOUSE (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/what-supporting-documents-needed-prove-someon-your-spouse-553085/)

flair002 Aug 4th 2008 5:09 am

what supporting documents needed to prove someon as your SPOUSE

dear alll
i have filed my SPOUSE immi with my application (same appliation, samee fees) and attached "marriage certificate" as a proof of living together. we dont have a joint bank account as we never felt a need for it. should we get it openend???? also the PCC, medicals, Passport all have my SPOUSE address same as mine where we live. is this proof enough or the CO mite ask anything else . please help so that we can arrange it beforehand
cheers

BB and LG Aug 4th 2008 10:37 am

Re: what supporting documents needed to prove someon as your SPOUSE

Hi,
I'm not sure if that will be enough, but when I submitted mine, (we do have a joint bank account), but we also supplied copies of utility bills showing names and our address. We also submitted copies of letters and envelopes, car insurance certificates, again showing our names and address. I would have to go through the copies I saved to give you more but this might give you an idea of what was accepted for me, as my Visa was granted last New Years Eve!:)

lovelyshine Aug 4th 2008 4:26 pm

I'm confused. Wouldn't a marriage certificate be enough? My boyfriend and I are considering getting married so he can easily go as spouse. If so much is needed, we might as well just do de facto.

BB and LG Aug 5th 2008 7:41 am

Hi,
I would be very surprised if a marriage certificate just on it's own would suffice. You have to provide additional evidence of a shared life together, i.e financial commitments. social aspects etc etc. This is to make it a more difficult for a person to marry someone else, just to get a visa, so they can get into Australia.
The 'Partner Migration Booklet' listed on the immi site, details all the points you need to evidence, so if your relationship in genuine, applying for a de facto visa might be route to take.
Hope this helps!:)

lovelyshine Aug 5th 2008 8:13 am

Thanks for sharing. We will just stick to de facto then since we have all the evidence we need (I think!). :)

The only tricky part is we haven't been physically together for the last 7 months due to visa restrictions and work commitment. He did come visit for 2 weeks during this 7 months though.

Sorry for asking about something else on this thread. Please carry on the original topic. ;)

flair002 Aug 5th 2008 8:54 am

acccording to DIMIA, the one year restriction is for de factor partner...... not for spouse... AM I RIGHT???????????
i got married on 3rd november 2007 and filed on 31 jan 2008... we were not married for one year but by the time we get proceesssed, we ll b married for one year/.....
also i have just given marriage certificates although i have all the pics etc....
will be opening a joint account soonnn... hope this wud b enufff as this is not a de facto relationship ,,.,, its a spouse..
please help

BB and LG Aug 5th 2008 9:55 am

Hi,
Yes, the one year restriction is for de facto and interdependent visa, not the spouse visa.:)

BB and LG Aug 5th 2008 9:58 am

To Lovelyshine,
This is an extract from the immi site.

Living together

Living together is regarded as a common element in most on-going relationships and is one of the criteria prescribed in the Migration Regulations. Partners who are currently not living together may be required to demonstrate a high level of proof that they are not living separately and apart on a permanent basis.

Hope that helps to answer your question.:)

lovelyshine Aug 5th 2008 10:13 am

Originally Posted by BB and LG (Post 6647004)
To Lovelyshine,
This is an extract from the immi site.

Living together

Living together is regarded as a common element in most on-going relationships and is one of the criteria prescribed in the Migration Regulations. Partners who are currently not living together may be required to demonstrate a high level of proof that they are not living separately and apart on a permanent basis.

Hope that helps to answer your question.:)

Thanks BB! ;)

lee28 Aug 5th 2008 12:52 pm

We had to get married to satisfy them for a student visa other wise it would have been refused as the only evidence of me living there would have been voters role and doctors reference, got married a month before we applied and it was fine.

There were no bills in my name or any joint accounts, the Mrs basically had my Bank Card and paid everything with that.

Think lots of people live like this now.

slippery30 Aug 5th 2008 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by lovelyshine (Post 6644699)
I'm confused. Wouldn't a marriage certificate be enough? My boyfriend and I are considering getting married so he can easily go as spouse. If so much is needed, we might as well just do de facto.

well i think this information is not correct..

my visa was approved two days ago...and all i submitted was a "marriage certificate"...no bankstatements..no pictures..no rentagreement..no mortgage papers...no testimonials from friends..

hope it helps

slippery30 Aug 5th 2008 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by flair002 (Post 6643408)
dear alll
i have filed my SPOUSE immi with my application (same appliation, samee fees) and attached "marriage certificate" as a proof of living together. we dont have a joint bank account as we never felt a need for it. should we get it openend???? also the PCC, medicals, Passport all have my SPOUSE address same as mine where we live. is this proof enough or the CO mite ask anything else . please help so that we can arrange it beforehand
cheers

Hi..
Marriage certificate is more than enough...i didnt submitt anything else..

not sure how passport can have address...never seen a passport in my life which details street addresses.:).. ....

lovelyshine Aug 5th 2008 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by slippery30 (Post 6648206)
well i think this information is not correct..

my visa was approved two days ago...and all i submitted was a "marriage certificate"...no bankstatements..no pictures..no rentagreement..no mortgage papers...no testimonials from friends..

hope it helps

Yah that's what I thought. I thought a marriage certificate would have been enough. I was surprised when others said that more evidence was needed.

BB and LG Aug 6th 2008 10:30 am

Originally Posted by lovelyshine (Post 6648308)
Yah that's what I thought. I thought a marriage certificate would have been enough. I was surprised when others said that more evidence was needed.

Details on page 39 and 40 within the Partner Migration Booklet, as can be found on the www.immi.gov.au site, is why 'others' suggested, that they would be 'surprised' if a marriage certificate alone would suffice.

MarkMC Aug 6th 2008 11:23 am

Originally Posted by slippery30 (Post 6648215)
Hi..
Marriage certificate is more than enough...i didnt submitt anything else..

not sure how passport can have address...never seen a passport in my life which details street addresses.:).. ....

Where you fill in the back in case of emergency or whatever it is, put your partners name with the same address and vice versa.......