Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

What is the situation after the PR/100 visa runs out after 5 yrs?

What is the situation after the PR/100 visa runs out after 5 yrs?

Old Apr 17th 2013, 10:01 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute
Default What is the situation after the PR/100 visa runs out after 5 yrs?

I take it "Last Date to Arrive" is the 5-yr time-frame that they expect one to become a citizen?

So what happens after that if you don't meet the requirements yet, what are the options? Cannot leave Australia without a bridge-type visa to extend the time? Any other long-term solution to maintain PR status or is it "become a citizen or you'll revert to being a tourist the next time you leave?"
Old Apr 17th 2013, 10:08 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is the situation after the PR/100 visa runs out after 5 yrs?

Originally Posted by astera
I take it "Last Date to Arrive" is the 5-yr time-frame that they expect one to become a citizen?

So what happens after that if you don't meet the requirements yet, what are the options? Cannot leave Australia without a bridge-type visa to extend the time? Any other long-term solution to maintain PR status or is it "become a citizen or you'll revert to being a tourist the next time you leave?"
You apply for a Resident Return Visa

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Reside...Visa-Australia
Old Apr 17th 2013, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

You get an RRV:

Old Apr 17th 2013, 10:11 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NickyC
Snap
Old Apr 17th 2013, 8:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Brisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pollyana
You apply for a Resident Return Visa

May I just pop in on this chat please.
What happens if you don't apply for it though? So you leave Australia. Can you apply for an RRV from outside of Australia?

I ask because myself and my defacto are splitting up. He is booking his one way flight early next week. I am buying him out and staying here. He is returning to Ireland. Our RRV has expired. Will he be able to apply for an RRV in time to come from outside of Australia? Or must he get one beofore he leaves? Will his PR just lapse in time if he doesn't get one?? Can he just return on a tourist visa? What's the story on it?

Incidentally, he doesn't know any of this. He has no idea yet, that once he leaves, he can't get back without this RRV and I shan't be enlihghtening him!

I only ask out of curiosity. He will still have his current a/c here with funds. I doubt he will ever want to come back (to Australia) but what if?
Old Apr 17th 2013, 8:52 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

oh dont be too nasty. i know the breakup could be bad exp but at least tell about these rrv issues.
Old Apr 17th 2013, 9:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brisbane bound
Can you apply for an RRV from outside of Australia?
Yes.
Old Apr 17th 2013, 10:16 pm
Home and Happy

May I just pop in on this chat please.
What happens if you don't apply for it though? So you leave Australia. Can you apply for an RRV from outside of Australia?

I ask because myself and my defacto are splitting up. He is booking his one way flight early next week. I am buying him out and staying here. He is returning to Ireland. Our RRV has expired. Will he be able to apply for an RRV in time to come from outside of Australia? Or must he get one beofore he leaves? Will his PR just lapse in time if he doesn't get one?? Can he just return on a tourist visa? What's the story on it?

Incidentally, he doesn't know any of this. He has no idea yet, that once he leaves, he can't get back without this RRV and I shan't be enlihghtening him!

I only ask out of curiosity. He will still have his current a/c here with funds. I doubt he will ever want to come back (to Australia) but what if?
Under certain circumstances he can apply from offshore - depends on what links he can show to Australia, how long as has been away etc. If you browse recent threads on here you'll see a lot of discussion between people who have applied offshore and been granted RRVs.
If he returns on a tourist visa then that effectively will cancel his PR and then he can't get a RRV, as it needs to be "attached" to a PR visa.
Old Apr 19th 2013, 12:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Brisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud of

Thank you all.
That's great, if he can apply from offshore. He's leaving next week so no time for applying beforehand.
Old Apr 19th 2013, 2:02 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all.
That's great, if he can apply from offshore. He's leaving next week so no time for applying beforehand.
If he has 2 years residence (as a PR) in the last 5 years, he can get a 5 year RRV over the counter at a DIAC office.
Old Apr 19th 2013, 5:03 am

astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

"5 year absence rule" is applied differently if you apply onshore or offshore.
- If offshore, and you have continually held a permanent visa, you are ok provided no more than 5 years has passed since most recent departure from Australia. For this purpose, short visits to Australia are ok.

Hmm, so if you leave Australia just before the PR/100 visa expires in 2018 for example (I take it the expiry date is the "last date to arrive" listed), then you can apply offshore for the 1yr RRV up until 2023? And if it goes through then you can come back and reside in Australia?
Old Apr 19th 2013, 5:17 am
Home and Happy

"5 year absence rule" is applied differently if you apply onshore or offshore.
- If offshore, and you have continually held a permanent visa, you are ok provided no more than 5 years has passed since most recent departure from Australia. For this purpose, short visits to Australia are ok.

Hmm, so if you leave Australia just before the PR/100 visa expires in 2018 for example (I take it the expiry date is the "last date to arrive" listed), then you can apply offshore for the 1yr RRV up until 2023? And if it goes through then you can come back and reside in Australia?
I would hate to hazard a guess at the rules that far ahead. Anything could happen to RRV rules between now and 2023!

The PR doesn't expire, by the way. What expires is the ability to re-enter Aus on that visa. The RRV provides permission to return and take up residence. Your right to live here permanently remains, its just a case of getting permission to come back once you've left.
Old Apr 19th 2013, 5:29 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana
The PR doesn't expire, by the way. What expires is the ability to re-enter Aus on that visa. The RRV provides permission to return and take up residence. Your right to live here permanently remains, its just a case of getting permission to come back once you've left.
Oh I see, and I take it an e-visitor cannot be granted afterwards or if it can it will somehow wipe out the PR visa in the process?
Old Apr 19th 2013, 7:07 am
Home and Happy

Oh I see, and I take it an e-visitor cannot be granted afterwards or if it can it will somehow wipe out the PR visa in the process?
If a visitor visa/evisitor etc is granted it cancels out any other visa - including PR - as you can only hold one visa at a time.
Old Apr 19th 2013, 11:03 am

Right, and then reinstating the PR visa would mean going through that process all over again?

Is there a way to keep prolonging the right to return as PR, maybe visiting Australia annually and getting the onshore concessional 1 year RRV each time?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.