What to see in Singapore?

Old Aug 21st 2002, 12:42 am
Forum Regular

gunitm is a jewel in the roughgunitm is a jewel in the roughgunitm is a jewel in the roughgunitm is a jewel in the rough
Default What to see in Singapore?

Hi all,
I am going to Oz with family on PR.
And i would be taking a 12 hour break at Singapore.
Can anybody advise me as to what places are worth seeing
there in such a limited time???
Has anybody taken this break at Singapore, flying Singapore Airlines??? Experience please.
thanks.
gunitm
Old Aug 21st 2002, 12:49 am
BE Enthusiast

hanu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What to see in Singapore?

Singapore's airport is world class,the best in the world.
Old Aug 21st 2002, 1:16 am
Forum Regular

chana is an unknown quantity at this point

Choose a flight that lands there in the morning and you can join the FREE "Discover Singapore" tours. They have a bus that takes you to town, walk around, jump on the bus back to the airport. You register at a desk when you arrive (before immigration!) so don't rush out. Check your bags through to Australia so you only carry a day bag. 12 hours stop over is good for such a tour but it's hopeless if you land at 11pm at night or something..

Have a good flight and a safe journey.
Old Aug 21st 2002, 3:50 am
Misterbean

The Airport at Singapore is absolutely brilliant - the two terminals are connected
by a little free automatic 'shuttle train". 12 hours in the airport maybe a bit too
long but it is well worth a look around for several hours. Singapore Airlines are
usually great - have these great little mini tv screens in each seat - helps make
the flying time 'fly'... Changi airport is about 30mins to an hour to centre of
Singapore by taxi
- and cabs aren't expensive, all have meters. Think I would just go for a walk along
'Orchard Road' which is one of the tourist areas with lots of interesting arcades,
etc. Singapore is no longer the "duty-Free" paradise it was before. From my
experience the duty-free's at the airport are as good value as anything in the city
- and the warranties are more reliable. Duty free upon arrival in Australia is
cheaper for many things than Singapore - though the range at Changi airport is
enormous...

Old Aug 21st 2002, 4:06 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Out of curiosity, do you need a transit visa for Singapore?
Originally posted by gunitm:
Old Aug 21st 2002, 8:59 am
Lord Lucan

You can also go on a free "bum-bum" boat trip around the Singapore river as part of
this trip.

Take some water with you and don't drop any ****in litter. Or it may be 20 years
before you get to Oz.

"chana" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Choose a flight that lands there in the morning and you can join the FREE "Discover
    > Singapore" tours. They have a bus that takes you to town, walk around, jump on the
    > bus back to the airport. You register at a desk when you arrive (before
    > immigration!) so don't rush out. Check your bags through to Australia so you only
    > carry a day bag. 12 hours stop over is good for such a tour but it's hopeless if
    > you land at 11pm at night or something..
    > Have a good flight and a safe journey.
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Aug 21st 2002, 2:24 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Singapore no longer arrests litterbugs as vigilantly as it used to. It's more into caning vandals

Bring as much water as you would care to, but leave the paint spray cans at home...
Originally posted by Lord Lucan:
Take some water with you and don't drop any ****in litter. Or it may be 20 years before you get to Oz.
Old Aug 21st 2002, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

gunitm is a jewel in the roughgunitm is a jewel in the roughgunitm is a jewel in the roughgunitm is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by ptlabs:
Out of curiosity, do you need a transit visa for Singapore?
What is a transit visa for Singapore?
Thanks all for giving me all the info.
gunitm
Old Aug 21st 2002, 5:20 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

Not sure if this applies to you, and if your travel agent has advised you on your transit arrangements, but you may want to be safe rather than sorry:

http://www.mfa.gov.sg/consular/visa/visa_reqforeign.htm

North American and EU passport holders won't require Singaporean entry/transit visas, not surprisingly.
What is a transit visa for Singapore?
Old Aug 21st 2002, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

chana is an unknown quantity at this point

Also absolutely NO chewing gum in Singapore.
You get fined for chewing gum. I am serious.

And after you piss, please flush. Or else another fine.
Yes, they have toilet inspectors.

As they say: Singapore is a "fine" city.

And don't even think drugs in Singapore or Malaysia.
They hang them real quick.
Old Aug 21st 2002, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

susmac is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,
Can anybody advise me as to what places are worth seeing
there in such a limited time???
Has anybody taken this break at Singapore, flying Singapore Airlines??? Experience please.
thanks.
gunitm
Hi
My reply to that question is are you mental??? you'll be knackered , book an hotel, if you really want to see a bit of Singapore book in Orchard Rd ,If not stay in the airport hotel theres plenty to do. Then you'll be nice and refreshed for the next leg of your flight
Susan
Old Aug 22nd 2002, 11:24 am
Ian Guy

Spot on - transit hotel and rest! Helps with the laaaagggg.

If you do go in, expect 32c with mega humidity. Don't go to sentosa - it is pants. If
you can do the Night Safari at the Zoo - it is like Jurassic Park - you go round the
zoo on little battery cars and the animals are just roaming about (obviously the
tigers, etc. are the other side of the moat! The lions looked like the set of the
Lion King).

On Orchard Rd you can get all sorts of Digital gear really cheap - haggle hard and
don't forget your tax rebate form for duty free.

"susmac" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Originally posted by gunitm:
    > > Hi all, I am going to Oz with family on PR. And i would be taking a 12 hour break
    > > at Singapore. Can anybody advise me as to what places are worth seeing there in
    > > such a limited time??? Has anybody taken this break at Singapore, flying
    > > Singapore Airlines??? Experience please. thanks. gunitm
    > Hi My reply to that question is are you mental??? you'll be knackered , book an
    > hotel, if you really want to see a bit of Singapore book in Orchard Rd ,If not stay
    > in the airport hotel theres plenty to do. Then you'll be nice and refreshed for the
    > next leg of your flight Susan
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Aug 22nd 2002, 12:39 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

> Also absolutely NO chewing gum in Singapore.
> You get fined for chewing gum. I am serious.

That's not true. The law bans the importation of chewing gum. You are legally allowed to chew gum. However, oral sex is illegal in Singapore if it isn't a precursor to having normal and natural sex.

> And after you piss, please flush. Or else another fine.
> Yes, they have toilet inspectors.

That's again not true. Almost all washrooms in Singapore have infra-red sensors. You don't need to flush any more - just shake yourself dry and walk off (for males, that is).

> And don't even think drugs in Singapore or Malaysia.
> They hang them real quick.

Mandatory hanging is only for those who traffic in drugs above a certain quantity.

Peter