What are residence requirements ?

Old Jan 31st 2008, 4:56 am
BE Enthusiast

ghanghro is a jewel in the roughghanghro is a jewel in the roughghanghro is a jewel in the roughghanghro is a jewel in the roughghanghro is a jewel in the rough
Default What are residence requirements ?

My friend made his entry in Australia in Oct-07 and of course his PR visa is valid upto 2012 but what I'm wondering is that can he stay out of country until 2012 ?

He has asked his immigration agent and they have told him that its fine if he comes back to Australia before 2012.

Is that information correct or is there any missing bit here ?

Ghanghro
Old Jan 31st 2008, 5:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are residence requirements ?

Originally Posted by ghanghro
My friend made his entry in Australia in Oct-07 and of course his PR visa is valid upto 2012 but what I'm wondering is that can he stay out of country until 2012 ?

He has asked his immigration agent and they have told him that its fine if he comes back to Australia before 2012.

Ghanghro

He can move here permanently anytime before the final entry date (will be five years after issue of his visa). If he wants to leave the country after that date he will need a residents return visa to get back in, so he should make himself familiar with the rules for that (can be found on www.immi.gov.au, search for RRV)

He's also best not leaving it too close to his final entry date, just in case there are problems (ie; all the flights could be booked up, he could become ill, or whatever)
Old Jan 31st 2008, 5:30 am
BE Enthusiast

ghanghro is a jewel in the roughghanghro is a jewel in the roughghanghro is a jewel in the roughghanghro is a jewel in the roughghanghro is a jewel in the rough

Well said

does that mean a new visa can be issued once he has entered Australia before the expiry date ?

Ghanghro

Originally Posted by Wendy
He can move here permanently anytime before the final entry date (will be five years after issue of his visa). If he wants to leave the country after that date he will need a residents return visa to get back in, so he should make himself familiar with the rules for that (can be found on www.immi.gov.au, search for RRV)

He's also best not leaving it too close to his final entry date, just in case there are problems (ie; all the flights could be booked up, he could become ill, or whatever)
Old Jan 31st 2008, 5:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Well said

does that mean a new visa can be issued once he has entered Australia before the expiry date ?

Ghanghro

A permanent visa never expires, it's just the RRV part that does. For example, say his visa expired next month and he came today. Just because the final entry date has passed, doesn't mean he doesn't have a visa - it just means he has no re-entry rights were he to leave in October, unless he applied for and was granted a new RRV. He would still be allowed to stay in the country and would still hold PR status.

It's very confusing isn't it?
Old Jan 31st 2008, 5:45 am
BE Enthusiast

yes it is however I got your orignial point that its fine as long as he comes back before his visa expires and that is what he is really looking for

He is making some extra-ordinary good money in QATAR and doesnt want to leave it for next few years

Ghanghro

Originally Posted by Wendy
A permanent visa never expires, it's just the RRV part that does. For example, say his visa expired next month and he came today. Just because the final entry date has passed, doesn't mean he doesn't have a visa - it just means he has no re-entry rights were he to leave in October, unless he applied for and was granted a new RRV. He would still be allowed to stay in the country and would still hold PR status.

It's very confusing isn't it?
Old Jan 31st 2008, 5:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

yes it is however I got your orignial point that its fine as long as he comes back before his visa expires and that is what he is really looking for

He is making some extra-ordinary good money in QATAR and doesnt want to leave it for next few years

Ghanghro
Yes, he will be fine. I don't blame him for staying where he is if he's on good money, it will help to set him up when he finally gets here.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 12:15 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/968i.pdf