Wikiposts

What are my chances?

Old Nov 28th 2007, 5:30 am
Just Joined

Damo Carter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What are my chances?

Hi im new to the site but have been reading for a while.
Like the rest of you i really want to live/work in Australia and am curious to see what my choices are.
Im 24, been working in my present job as systems support(40points not modl) for 13months. Before that i was working as a Bricklayer in Spain for 8months. Before that working in England as a bricklayer for 2years. Other jobs include signwriter 1yr and qualified fitness instructor 2yrs.
I'm qualified to NVQ lvl2 Bricklaying and have college A levels in Lesuire + Recreation.

Ive been on the various sites and I cant get in on my present job and also apparently cant get in as Bricklayer due to not working 12 out of the last 24 months (one month out as ive done 11months).

What are my choices at this point, go back to bricklaying for a year and try again or are there other ways i can get in?

I will also try an agent tommorow and see what they say but i would just like a little heads up prior to that.

Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 6:18 am
BE Forum Addict

welshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are my chances?

Originally Posted by Damo Carter
Hi im new to the site but have been reading for a while.
Like the rest of you i really want to live/work in Australia and am curious to see what my choices are.
Im 24, been working in my present job as systems support(40points not modl) for 13months. Before that i was working as a Bricklayer in Spain for 8months. Before that working in England as a bricklayer for 2years. Other jobs include signwriter 1yr and qualified fitness instructor 2yrs.
I'm qualified to NVQ lvl2 Bricklaying and have college A levels in Lesuire + Recreation.

Ive been on the various sites and I cant get in on my present job and also apparently cant get in as Bricklayer due to not working 12 out of the last 24 months (one month out as ive done 11months).

What are my choices at this point, go back to bricklaying for a year and try again or are there other ways i can get in?

I will also try an agent tommorow and see what they say but i would just like a little heads up prior to that.

Thanks in advance.
Hi Damo

You need to look at the requirements for getting a skills assessment approved for various occupations. If you have no relatives that can sponsor you in Australia, then you should be looking at a 60 point occupation that is on the Demand List (MODL) - like bricklaying.

The assessing body for Bricklayers for applicants resident in UK is VETASSESS. You first need a minimum of 2 years experience as a brickie and then you need to apply on paper claiming that you have experience and/or training in various core competencies and other elective competencies. If you convince them, they then invite you for a practical trades test.

for the Visa application, you will need 12 months of experience that is considered to be at the skilled level. This may mean waiting 12 months after getting approved by VETASSESS to make sure the 12 months recent work experience is definitely considered to be skilled. When an agent goes through the competencies, you may decide to go back to bricklaying for a year to gain experience/training in some of the competencies that you are not so familiar with, plus it would be better to have recet experience to give you confidence with the practical test.

so you have to be realistic and accept it may be closer to 2 years before you are in a position to apply for a skilled premanent visa but with careful planning now, you could confidantly work towards this goal.

Regards

Tony Coates
MARN 0635896