Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

What does the medical entail? Is the children's one

What does the medical entail? Is the children's one

Old Aug 27th 2009, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

Tommy Gun will become famous soon enough
Default What does the medical entail? Is the children's one

different?
Old Aug 27th 2009, 11:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Camberwell/S.E London > Orpington > Mornington > heart will always be in Tullamore. Co Offaly
steve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to all
Default Re: What does the medical entail? Is the children's one

Originally Posted by Tommy Gun
different?
i found them pretty straight forward children do not have the x rays nor blood done
weight height blood reflexes just seeing if you are in sound health cant remember but i think a short eye test as well adults have to have the chest x rays done as well as the blood test
Old Aug 27th 2009, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

Tommy Gun will become famous soon enough

Thanks.
Old Aug 27th 2009, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

Chris N Lora will become famous soon enoughChris N Lora will become famous soon enough

I think the child has to be under 11 to not have to do a chest Xray as my daughter of 14 has to do one.

I am sure a Mod will correct if required
Old Aug 27th 2009, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

CosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really nice

Originally Posted by Chris N Lora
I think the child has to be under 11 to not have to do a chest Xray as my daughter of 14 has to do one.

I am sure a Mod will correct if required
Yes indeed. Over 11 years they'll have to have a chest xray. Also, if a child is approaching their 15th birthday, they'll have to have a full, adult, medical.

The childs medical generally involves height/weight. Check that they're growing properly. Hearing test, sight test, basic mental functions (following a finger kind of thing). See if their speech is ok, they try to get them to talk about something, but my little lad wouldnt

Also, the doctor checked his testicles too, my little lad, not the docs. Oh, then he checked mine. I felt like I'd been initiated into a club by then :-)
Old Aug 27th 2009, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

Tearose will become famous soon enoughTearose will become famous soon enough

My son did not come with me but still had to have the checks done - (money spinner) - anyhow, he did have to have bloods taken, but this was checking for HIV - If my memory serves me correctly then it was just before his 16th birthday
Old Aug 27th 2009, 12:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Janna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of light

Every doctor is different. Some are very thorough and others just do the basics. We had ours on Saturday just gone and had the following for the adults:

x Rays
Blood Test
Urine Test
Weight
Height
Blood Pressure,
Looked at hands and nails for some reason.....
Took pulse
Listened to heart and lungs
Felt Abdomen
Reflexes
Looked in eyes
Sight test

For our three year old he did
Weight
Height
Looked at hands
Took pulse
Listened to heart and lungs
Felt abdomen
Reflexes
looked in eyes
sight test by asking her to match letters from the chart to a board I was holding. I thought this was a bit much to ask of a 3 year old but she matched them all so suspect there was a "compos mentis" test in there somewhere

Old Aug 27th 2009, 9:43 pm
Feeble Minded

SillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond repute

My 5yo daughter had to do a urine test as part of her medical - it was definitely the messiest and funniest part of the whole visa process!
Old Aug 27th 2009, 11:29 pm
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SillyOldBag
My 5yo daughter had to do a urine test as part of her medical - it was definitely the messiest and funniest part of the whole visa process!
They were just taking the pee

For our kids it was basic reflex check, weight and height measurements. Baby of then one had head measured and length.

Cooler
Old Aug 28th 2009, 12:45 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tearose
My son did not come with me but still had to have the checks done - (money spinner) - anyhow, he did have to have bloods taken, but this was checking for HIV - If my memory serves me correctly then it was just before his 16th birthday
Its not a moneyspinner. The reason for a non-migrating child having a medical is quite simple -at some point that child may wish to come and live with the migrated parent - either through a death of the other parent, changed family situation, whatever. DIAC is just being certain now that no medical problem will arise in the future if the child has to migrate.
Old Aug 28th 2009, 3:16 am
Forum Regular

Tearose will become famous soon enoughTearose will become famous soon enough

Yes but, it is only valid for 12 months !!